Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many teach online, have, or plan to (even partly)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many teach online, have, or plan to (even partly)?
1a) I now teach EXCLUSIVELY online through a 3rd party service—students pay them, they pay me.
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
1b) I now teach PREDOMINATELY online through a 3rd party service.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
1c) I now teach PARTLY online through a 3rd party service.
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
1d) I TRIED teaching online through a 3rd party service.
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
1e) I’d CONSIDER teaching online through a 3rd party service IF…
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
2a) I now teach EXCLUSIVELY online independently—students come to me and pay me directly.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2b) I now teach PREDOMINATELY online independently.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2c) I now teach PARTLY online independently.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
2d) I TRIED teaching online independently.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
2e) I’d CONSIDER teaching online independently IF…
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 27

LongShiKong

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
I'm about 95% online/from home at a local college that offers online delivery. There are about 40 students per class split into multiple sessions. We are paid the same wage range as any in-class college ESL instructor.

Do you mean 95% of your teaching is online? What size groups do you teach and what apps do you use?
santi84

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:
santi84 wrote:
I'm about 95% online/from home at a local college that offers online delivery. There are about 40 students per class split into multiple sessions. We are paid the same wage range as any in-class college ESL instructor.

Do you mean 95% of your teaching is online? What size groups do you teach and what apps do you use?

The programs vary from Blackboard, D2L, Moodle. Video interaction is through WizIQ. The classes are online sections of equivalent face-to-face classes.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
The programs vary from Blackboard, D2L, Moodle. Video interaction is through WizIQ. The classes are online sections of equivalent face-to-face classes.

Thanks for responding, Santi.

BTW, what might the following ratios would be among such ESL classes:
    • visiting overseas students : landed immigrants
    • those exclusively studying English : those additionally taking regular courses
    • Asians : non-Asians
    • (and of the Asians, Mainland Chinese : non-Chinese

For decades, affluent Asian parents have sent their teens to Canada to attend senior high school in small towns like mine in the hopes that such language/cultural immersion would best prepare them for university life. But as the number of overseas students increases, chatting with those back home or accessing L1 entertainment increases, along with the chances of befriending compatriots in Canada, I see that hope diminishing, particularly among the less outgoing in temperament.

Having said that, what do you think motivates the preference for online vs face-to-face given what I presume is equivalent cost of delivery?
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
Where is the option for "none of the above"?

Hmm. More than 4,000 views but only 16 votes. What percent of non-voters would've selected that option, do you think? Had the number of requests for it exceeded the number of votes, I might have rewritten the poll but given the thread title I didn't expect to attract mostly those uninterested in online teaching.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other "none of the above"s?
vishal7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollysuel wrote:
I taught online for about 10 years. I learned a lot about the dos and don'ts in the industry and was given a lot of different opportunities including teacher training and being part of international projects that I would never would have had the opportunity if I had not taught online. I have worked independently, with 3rd parties and have run projects where I hired and trained teachers for clients.

If I opt for a 220 hour course, the institute is offering me option to choose between young learners and Business English. Can you suggest me what should I opt for? I mean; Are majority of jobs inclined towards Adult education or towards kids? You have a very long career in online English teaching and your views might be very helpful for me.

Thanks in advance
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:

How about an option like "I have not taught online, and I have no interest in teaching online." That might have reeled in another bunch of votes.

vishal7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
LongShiKong wrote:

How about an option like "I have not taught online, and I have no interest in teaching online." That might have reeled in another bunch of votes.

I think its not about getting more votes on the poll but sharing our knowledge to the benefit of the ESL community. If you would have contributed, that would have been great.
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:
santi84 wrote:

Thanks for responding, Santi.

BTW, what might the following ratios would be among such ESL classes:
    • visiting overseas students : landed immigrants
    • those exclusively studying English : those additionally taking regular courses
    • Asians : non-Asians
    • (and of the Asians, Mainland Chinese : non-Chinese

For decades, affluent Asian parents have sent their teens to Canada to attend senior high school in small towns like mine in the hopes that such language/cultural immersion would best prepare them for university life. But as the number of overseas students increases, chatting with those back home or accessing L1 entertainment increases, along with the chances of befriending compatriots in Canada, I see that hope diminishing, particularly among the less outgoing in temperament.

Having said that, what do you think motivates the preference for online vs face-to-face given what I presume is equivalent cost of delivery?

Sorry for the very late reply. All these students are landed immigrants of very mixed backgrounds (quite a few Spanish speakers these days). The motivation is simple - at this level (advanced), they are all working full-time in retail/food service, fairly fluent in spoken English, and need to improve their reading/writing/computer skills to return to their previous careers from back home (quite a few professionals).
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vishal7 wrote:
AGoodStory wrote:
LongShiKong wrote:

I think its not about getting more votes on the poll but sharing our knowledge to the benefit of the ESL community. If you would have contributed, that would have been great.

Thank you for your kind invitation, Vishnal. I was not, however, criticizing the poll; I was specifically responding to LSK's earlier question about why so few respondents, and whether any of us might have chosen a "None of the Above" option. Since I am one of those who has never taught online, I'm afraid I could offer no first-hand substantive information, even though I am interested in the thread, as are many. But, again, thank you for asking. Smile

My best guess is that many members of the forum have not taught online, but are still interested in what others have to say about their experience. Thus, lots of views, few respondents, as LSK noted above. (And, of course, unregistered guests account for much more viewing traffic than members, so would skew that ratio, since they can view, but not respond.)

LongShiKong

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote:

Ok, so we've got, what... 4 or 5? Not a lot considering how easy it would be to simply quote the first request for "none of the above" as Spiral had done.

----------------

Regarding both online and classroom EFL, I've noticed that here in Beijing there seems to be a significant increase in the number of NNS (non-native English speakers). I know a number of Russians teaching in kindergartens and a few days ago, I met an Arabic-speaking Canadian who tells me he teaches IELTS here. I want to find out what his credentials are and whether his students become aware of his NNS status. That might shock some but here in China, many at the A2 level are under the impression the only thing standing between them and C1 proficiency is an IELTS prep course.
simon44

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach ESL during the day at an international/private school in Myanmar. The pay is reasonably good and I am saving $2,000 USD per month.

Since my weekday evenings were fairly open, I started teaching online. I'm currently teaching about 3 hours each weekday evening. This is 1-1 teaching using Skype, and my students are all Vietnamese kids.

This is my first month of online teaching and I'm saving an extra $500 already. The online school is ramping up small-group classes for me, which pays a higher rate.

I'm very happy with this online company. Each student's class is 25 minutes long, so short enough for them not to get too bored.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon44 wrote:
I'm currently teaching about 3 hours each weekday evening. This is 1-1 teaching using Skype, and my students are all Vietnamese kids.

This is my first month of online teaching and I'm saving an extra $500 already.

Let's see: 3hrs/wkdy x 20 days/mo = 60 hrs So, $500/60 = $8.33/hr

That's a lot of hours for only $500 but, I guess in Myanmar, it goes far!
simon44

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That's a lot of hours for only $500 but, I guess in Myanmar, it goes far!

Actually the rate is higher, $10/hour for 1-1 and $12/hr for small groups. The $500 that I've earned in this first month isn't based on teaching 3 hours per night, because I started the month with only a few classes, and now it has ramped up to 3 hours/night.

After my first probation month, my hourly rate will also increase Smile

I'm happy with the rate because teaching kids is easy and, as you say, money goes far in Myanmar. I'm not spending it - the company sends it to me by Paypal and I just withdraw it to my Thai bank account. I'll use these savings to buy a car when I return to Thailand in a few years.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually the rate is higher, $10/hour for 1-1 and $12/hr for small groups.

I'm curious. What does face-to-face classroom teaching, or even private tutoring in a cafe pay where you are? Here in China, even non-native speakers at A2 level, without a TEFL or degree can make the minimum $20/hr. When I asked the Canadian passport-holding immigrant with the thick accent what teaching credentials he had, he thought I was referring to his TOEFL certificate or business degree.

But it seems that the online sector is making substantial inroads given the increasing prevalence of transit ads I see for VIP-ABC and Talk51 among others. Online is much cheaper for a variety of reasons, but contrary to what some might assume, low cost is not its greatest appeal among Asians, especially when online learning is inconspicuously consumed. If you've taught a variety of nationalities, you'll recognize that Asians, are the shyest and by far the least likely to take full advantage of opportunities to interact with 'strangers' in the class.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: