Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a few questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demigod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: a few questions Reply with quote

Do expats have access to the internet
for movie streaming, and online gaming?

Can you freely leave the country ?

Do you recommend get the housing allowance 150 months or
just moving in provided housing?

thx in advance
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in Oman and for which employer?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Access to the internet is easy in most areas, but usually slow.

Easy exit and access... no exit visas required.

Housing question depends on employer and location.

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: a few questions Reply with quote

Internet is painfully slow, which is probably not adequate for online gaming. Many websites and even some clips on YouTube are blocked. There is no Skype. Some people use illegal re-routing but if you get caught, you're facing stiff penalties.

Exiting the country can become a problem if you have a traffic offense (e.g. speeding ticket) as this must be paid in full and on the spot in cash before leaving (at the airport/Hatti crossing).
If you are leaving by car, you will have to pay for "insurance" to go into UAE.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was there (in both the UAE and Oman), we easily got insurance policies that covered both countries. Is the UAE now requiring an added policy?

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car insurance is a pain in the proverbial...same as the new e-visa.
People have been turned away at the land crossing because the e-visa didn't work/had technological issues. There were massive traffic jams / lines at the last public holiday/ long weekend on 2 & 3 December. Then it got changed back to normal,visas, Then back to e-visas....not sure what the rule is today....don't care either as it may be,different tomorrow....people get fed up and stop going to Dubai for the weekend, which seems to be the point: keep people in Oman so they spend their money here and boost the local economy.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still confused. Who is causing the problem - Oman or the UAE? Or both?

VS
Roses189

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live out of town and the internet there is excellent for streaming movies, Netflix etc but I don't know about gaming. You can use a VPN for Skype but, as a previous poster mentioned, it's not legal. I would choose company housing if I was coming for the first time. Renting is a pain. You might be required to pay rent 6 or 12 months in advance. Rental accommodation is normally unfurnished and that could mean you have to buy all furniture and appliances including your airconditioner. That's the worst case scenario but also the most common. 150omr would get you a basic unfurnished 1 bedroom flat.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: a few questions Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
There is no Skype. Some people use illegal re-routing but if you get caught, you're facing stiff penalties.

There are other free international dialing options now. I think Whatsapp or something like that started working, with no official message that it had been unblocked (correct me if I am wrong). It just magically started working one day.

For many, Skype is the only affordable way to keep in touch with friends and family in other countries. I don't understand what is achieved by blocking it.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think any consideration is ever given to the large number of foreign workers in the country when it comes to decision making? Something like Skype might well encourage interaction between the natives outside their tribal/ family group. God forbid, males and females may even communicate without the consent of their tribal elders! Shocked
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason that Skype is blocked is to make the expats use the overpriced phone company long distance charges. There are plenty of social websites that the Omanis can use freely. Skype really isn't that great as a social site anyway.

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Skype Reply with quote

Skype is crucial in applying for new jobs. Employers outside of Oman always ask for a skype Interview. Inability to comply with that request means loosing out on job opportunities.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I was very happy with the Internet when I was in Oman. Both in terms of reliability and speed. No problems downloading movies/shows or watching YouTube videos. Although I am a gamer, I've never played online.

veiledsentiments wrote:
The main reason that Skype is blocked is to make the expats use the overpriced phone company long distance charge.

Yep. The law is in place solely to protect Omantel's bottom line.

Whatever will be wrote:
Skype is crucial in applying for new jobs. Employers outside of Oman always ask for a skype Interview. Inability to comply with that request means loosing out on job opportunities.

I downloaded a VPN called SurfEasy to my smart phone. Worked fine for using Skype in my interview and it's free.

Let's be honest, the chances of being caught and prosecuted for using Skype in Oman are so small that they don't even deserve thinking about. If some people have moral problems with getting around this law then that's up to them. Personally, I don't.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine said that one of his coworkers told him that Viber was a lot better than Skype...*cough*cough*

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:

I downloaded a VPN called SurfEasy to my smart phone. Worked fine for using Skype in my interview and it's free.
Noelle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I knew that VPN's were frowned upon, but I didn't realize there was a 'stiff penalty' for being caught with one. Wonder what said penalty is? A hefty fine? Or something a lot worse...

I took my VPN and constant access to Skype for granted during my time in Muscat. I even chatted with my family, my U.S. employer and credit card company via Skype... from my work desk... at SQU. It was before Omantel came to my apt. to hook up internet. Would have been at a loss without that VPN or Skype:(

Google hangout with gmail has a webcam and call feature. As far as I can recall, it's not blocked. Or at least it wasn't last year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: