Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accommodation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reblair79

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Accommodation Reply with quote

I am considering doing my CELTA in Valencia and then staying there to go door knocking and looking for work upon completion. This is all new to me and will be my first experience of TEFL. Would you wonderfully experienced folk be kind enough to let me know what I should do in regards to setting up a base?

Do people usually rent somewhere or stay in a hostel for example? If so, how do you go about setting something up so that I have a place to go when I touch down in the city? Kind regards, Ray
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CELTA course provider should be able to help you. Email them.
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Accommodation Reply with quote

reblair79 wrote:
I am considering doing my CELTA in Valencia and then staying there to go door knocking and looking for work upon completion. This is all new to me and will be my first experience of TEFL. Would you wonderfully experienced folk be kind enough to let me know what I should do in regards to setting up a base?

Do people usually rent somewhere or stay in a hostel for example? If so, how do you go about setting something up so that I have a place to go when I touch down in the city? Kind regards, Ray

May I suggest that you need to be more specific as to your needs and financial possibilties? Spanish cities abound with decent, reasonably priced hostales and pensiones. Ditto decent restaurants where you can eat cheaply. You would need to come with cash behind you for 2 or 3 months minimum. One of the posters here is jonniboy, a Valencia veteran. PM him. I´m sure he could help out. Good luck.
reblair79

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying. I am going out there with around £3000 in my savings account just in case.

It's hard to say what sort of prices I am looking at as I have never lived in Spain and have no idea what sort of accommodation a TEFL teacher should realistically be looking at. I am not looking to stay anywhere too fancy. I can live quite basically for a while until I find my feet. I would like somewhere with Internet access though for the first month while I do my CELTA though.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: re: each to teach to their own.... Reply with quote

Sod the celta and the costs associated with it in Valencia. I'd take that 3,000 and just start teaching in the far east where it would go further, do a CELTA out there if you can find a centre. Spain has nothing go for it EFL wise except low wages, and a high living cost. Most houses/apartments are not even fitted with AIR CONDITIONING....did anyone mention it can get 40 DEG C+ in the summer in spain? Seriously, there are better places, or do it in winter, when it is cooler if you really want to do it in Valencia.
reblair79

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: re: each to teach to their own.... Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
Sod the celta and the costs associated with it in Valencia. I'd take that 3,000 and just start teaching in the far east where it would go further, do a CELTA out there if you can find a centre. Spain has nothing go for it EFL wise except low wages, and a high living cost. Most houses/apartments are not even fitted with AIR CONDITIONING....did anyone mention it can get 40 DEG C+ in the summer in spain? Seriously, there are better places, or do it in winter, when it is cooler if you really want to do it in Valencia.

I have done a bit of research for the Middle East.. It seems that almost every job out there requires at least two years experience. It is my intention to do TEFL there after a couple of years, hopefully with the British Council. These are my first steps in TEFL and I have never taught before. I have also been considering Vietnam to do the CELTA and start out there. Spain is obviously closer to Scotland though hence why I think Spain might be a better idea to get started. Vietnam, Thailand or China in my second year is an idea but that is maybe going in at the deep end for my first year?
Spelunker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: re: vietnam? Reply with quote

Quote:
I have also been considering Vietnam to do the CELTA and start out there.

Not a bad idea, lower living costs. They should be able to recommend some cheap accomodation or you can stay in a cheap pension place in Spain.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reblair79 wrote:
I have done a bit of research for the Middle East.. It seems that almost every job out there requires at least two years experience. It is my intention to do TEFL there after a couple of years, hopefully with the British Council. These are my first steps in TEFL and I have never taught before.

I have also been considering Vietnam to do the CELTA and start out there. Spain is obviously closer to Scotland though hence why I think Spain might be a better idea to get started. Vietnam, Thailand or China in my second year is an idea but that is maybe going in at the deep end for my first year?

I suggest you complete the CELTA course in a country where jobs are plentiful in order to have more options and find employment quickly. Also, if you plan to eventually pursue work with the BC, start networking early and attending local BC-sponsored events and teacher development workshops in whatever country you begin your teaching career in. This will look good on your CV when you later apply for a BC teaching position.
reblair79

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Very much appreciated. Great tip thanks, Nomad. I will keep this in mind for the BC. I hope to chat to you all on these forums over the next few months and longer.

Regards,

Ray
jonniboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: re: each to teach to their own.... Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:

Can't argue with most of that. The 40 degree issue is true but that's usually in July or August and that is unlikely to affect our friend, as contracts in Spain usually run 1 October -30 June and after that you're on your own. Some schools run intensive courses in July, but a lot of teachers either dip into savings or work in summer camps.

I would say the opposite situation is the problem. Most flats in Valencia don't have central heating and are designed to keep the heat out. That's fine most of the time, but there is a period from mid January through to the end of February when temperatures are 0-5 degrees at night and it's pretty uncomfortable. You have to borrow a heater, which is costly. On the plus side, bills are very low due to the lack of heating.

You can crash in a hostel or pension at first while you look around for work. Valencia is compact so you can reach most places on foot or by metro no matter where you live. It does look better if you have a local address, as that looks more serious than c/o "Hostel 24/7 Party." A local mobile number is a must.

Will pm the o.p. with a few more things.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... I just noticed that loquo.com, which was always a goldmine for teaching jobs and accommodation, closed down 2 days ago. Maybe posters here who are in Spain can recommend alternative websites?
reblair79

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the PM and replies on here Jonniboy. The more information I gather the more it seems Vietnam might be the place to go for teachers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: