Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone made the transition from Asia (SE/NE) to LA?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sudz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Has anyone made the transition from Asia (SE/NE) to LA? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have been teaching/traveling around Asia for the past decade or so. I am currently satisfied with my job here in Japan, though an considering making a transition to Latin America (Mexico, Ecuador, Columbia....wherever) sometime in the future. While I'm pretty happy with my job, and like aspects of Japan, I wouldn't say I feel a great connection to the culture, and there are aspects of living here that would likely put me off staying long term.

I am quite experienced, and have a significant amount of experience working in the private school context. I also have my MA TESOL, as well as TEFL certificate. I would like to continue working with either private schools, or at colleges/universities (should I leave Japan).

Anyways, has anyone (happily?) made the transition?
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone made the transition from Asia (SE/NE) to LA? Reply with quote

Sudz wrote:
Hey guys,

I have been teaching/traveling around Asia for the past decade or so. I am currently satisfied with my job here in Japan, though an considering making a transition to Latin America (Mexico, Ecuador, Columbia....wherever) sometime in the future. While I'm pretty happy with my job, and like aspects of Japan, I wouldn't say I feel a great connection to the culture, and there are aspects of living here that would likely put me off staying long term.

I am quite experienced, and have a significant amount of experience working in the private school context. I also have my MA TESOL, as well as TEFL certificate. I would like to continue working with either private schools, or at colleges/universities (should I leave Japan).

Anyways, has anyone (happily?) made the transition?

Why go through the hassles of relocating if all is reasonably good in Japan. I mean who's to say you will fare better in LA. Maybe just enjoy a couple holidays there, and perhaps consider it a place for retirement. Ecuador seems to rank highly in that regard.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not apply for a job at a high end colegio in Colombia/South America? The lower end/mid tier jobs are probably not worth moving for (2-4 mil Colombian pesos) but something that pays quite a bit more may be attractive.

I really enjoyed my life after leaving Japan after six years!
Sudz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys.

currentafairs - Might you apply for these jobs online? I'm certainly not looking to make the change anytime soon, though it's worth considering for later. Also, may I ask what made you leave Japan (provided it's not too personal). Perhaps you had simply had your fill.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved from Japan to Mexico in 1997/8 and I'm still here.

My situation was not quite the same as yours, but while I enjoyed Japan, it can be really hard to feel you fit there. In Mexico I'm a part of the community so it's easy to stay here long term.

Let me know if you want info about University teaching in the state of Oaxaca, Mexico.

Last edited by MotherF on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better jobs at well paying colegios/universities advertise on TES, on high school recruitment sites, higher ed sites, and everywhere. You can also use google to get a list of the better schools in Bogota or Cali (for example) and send your CV to them directly. If you have proper teaching credentials then you will have a shot at some of these jobs. Interviews are frequently done online/by phone and teachers are recruited from outside the country..

I had had enough of Japan and was ready to move. I also never saved whilst living there and so working in the Middle East is better for me. I have good memories (Tokyo was a blast) but now we move forward to other things..
Sudz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated.

Yeah feeling like a perpetual outsider is one thing that makes me question staying here long term. I don't take offense to it, though Japanese seem innately more xenophobic than any other country I have visited in Asia. I generally am more positive than negative about it here, though that does wear on me at times.

Also, with regards to LA, it would be nice not being half-way across the world when visiting Canada. Saving also is a chore - as you mentioned currentaffairs.

I'll likely get back to you MotherF regarding Uni work in Oaxaca. I appreciate the offer.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a Oaxacan university, a single person can easily save 50% or more of their salary, but the problem is the last few years haven't been kind to the Mexican peso.
Sudz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MotherF. Might I ask what the typical salary is at one of these universities? (Edit: my bad, I can research that myself). Also, my situation is a bit odd, in that I have an MA TESOL, though lack a BA. The MA TESOL is legit - some UK universities allow entrance based on experience. Perhaps a problem?
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually you are just asked to provide copies of your highest degree. I would suggest not mentioning lack of a BA again unless directly asked about it.
Sudz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. I think this is usually the way to go. However, it didn't work out so well during one of my Tokyo interviews , as the interviewers (on the Japanese side) were completely perplexed as to how someone could get an MA without a BA. They had inquired during the interview about my BA, and weren't good at hiding their confusion after I had explained situation (in hindsight, I could have been more thorough). The foreign interviewer understood the situation, while he admitted in the follow-up email that it had a lot of sway in his colleague's decision.

Japanese do tend to be very 'by the book' though.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having a BA could well lead to the situation that you described almost anywhere in the world for the better jobs. I have frequently had to write down or provide info about the details of my degrees before, during and after interviews. However, I am sure some places wouldn't be quite so stringent.
Sudz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right currentaffairs.

Fortunately, my current employer did not inquire about my (missing) BA, and I ended up getting the job.
spanglish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI 2-4 million pesos/month is not a low-end job in Colombia; to the contrary, only the 'best' schools pay that much, with the exception of a very few international schools for 'real' teachers ie with home teaching license and experience. 600-1.5 million/month is closer to reality for low end.
Sudz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow 600,000? Can one really live off of that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: