Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peak Oil jobs...

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dragonpiwo



Joined: 04 Mar 2013
Posts: 1609
Location: Berlin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Peak Oil jobs... Reply with quote

Peak Oil was reached some years ago for ELT in the oil industry.

Anyone know of any good gigs? I'm working in the oil industry but may well be unemployed soon due to the price of oil. I have 20 years experience and am a Technical/Oil and Gas ELT specialist. Particularly handy at O and G materials design.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11382
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major transportation and energy companies like Maersk might be worth looking at, if you're open to other parts of the world. If your technical writing skills are strong, try Aramco; positions average around $100K US/year.

Sounds like it's time to focus less on your EL training experience and more on your technical writing, materials design, and eLearning skills, if you have them. Hopefully you've kept up with additional certification and professional development and can produce a portfolio of your work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11382
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, you should put together an online portfolio of samples of your work product to highlight your use of eLearning applications like Captivate and Articulate. Ditto for showcasing your understanding of instructional systems design models (e.g., ADDIE, Agile/iterative design, backward design, etc.) as well as multimedia design principles, adult learning theory, Bloom's taxonomy, assessment design, and so on. It could help compensate for your lack of at least a relevant BA in the industry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blackbear



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Major transportation and energy companies like Maersk might be worth looking at, if you're open to other parts of the world. If your technical writing skills are strong, try Aramco; positions average around $100K US/year.

Sounds like it's time to focus less on your EL training experience and more on your technical writing, materials design, and eLearning skills, if you have them. Hopefully you've kept up with additional certification and professional development and can produce a portfolio of your work.


Maersk recently lost a major contract in "the Gulf" with the State of Qatar. They have moved their O&G efforts out of this region from what scuttlebutt tells me.

Just an observation. Others may have better info on Maersk. Their employment web pages may provide better info....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11382
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
I'm working in the oil industry but may well be unemployed soon due to the price of oil. I have 20 years experience and am a Technical/Oil and Gas ELT specialist. Particularly handy at O and G materials design.

Question: Since you've claimed to have high earnings over the span of your 20-year career, why didn't you take a year off between gigs in order to complete an in-class MA in Instructional Technology or Training and Development or Technical Communications or Instructional Design or... ? You had/have the money. Confused

A relevant, advanced degree + your extensive experience would have helped you secure a well-paying, well-benefitted position with ADNOC, Aramco, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ntropy



Joined: 11 Oct 2003
Posts: 669
Location: ghurba

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A relevant, advanced degree + your extensive experience would have helped you secure a well-paying, well-benefitted position with ADNOC, Aramco, etc.


Dragon already has a "well-paying", "well-benefitted" job with one of the organisations you mention.

His point is that they are no longer secure; they will shortly only exist for nationals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11382
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ntropy wrote:
Dragon already has a "well-paying", "well-benefitted" job with one of the organisations you mention.

His point is that they are no longer secure; they will shortly only exist for nationals.

The degree majors I listed are not trainer roles. They're focused on the design of instruction (e.g., rapid eLearning, instructional systems design, technical/instructional writing, etc.) and would make him valuable in other areas of those companies. For example, an Aramco technical writer earns 100K + benefits. Moreover, he'd possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities that would make him marketable and competitive to other industries even if the oil runs dry. That's job security.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veiledsentiments



Joined: 20 Feb 2003
Posts: 17607
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ntropy wrote:
Dragon already has a "well-paying", "well-benefitted" job with one of the organisations you mention.

If you read his posts of the last few days, he is in the position of wondering if every paycheck will be his last...

VS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragonpiwo



Joined: 04 Mar 2013
Posts: 1609
Location: Berlin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Quick answer to a few points. From what I see and from what my contacts are seeing, Aramco aside, it's over in the Oil and Gas ELT game. Aramco have contacted me several times recently but I won' t take my wife there.

I have a house and flat and will buy 1 maybe 2 more soon. I'm done.

It looks like ATI will take over opco training in the UAE.

I haven't wanted to do an MA because in this field it's luck and contacts. Might look into 1 when I return to Europe but might not. I've never worked in a place where they've truly embraced technology. Smartboards yes but often broken, Call labs yes but underused. Aramco use ipads.

The answer for the oil and gas companies isn't technology. It's experienced ELT instructors who can make a syllabus suitable for technical disciplines relevant to expected competencies. Such instructors are few and far between. Our courses are presently tailor-made people who don't know much about oil and gas have proved to be pretty useless. I blame it on HR and recruitment in most cases.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scot47



Joined: 10 Jan 2003
Posts: 15323

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problems exist throughout industry. I remember in Saudi Airlines the poor state of the training facilities. So much could have been done - but was not.

The idea of investing in competent trainers and good material seemed to be alien. Top management were only interested in building their own power base within the company.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11382
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
I haven't wanted to do an MA because in this field it's luck and contacts. Might look into 1 when I return to Europe but might not. I've never worked in a place where they've truly embraced technology. Smartboards yes but often broken, Call labs yes but underused. Aramco use ipads.

The answer for the oil and gas companies isn't technology. It's experienced ELT instructors who can make a syllabus suitable for technical disciplines relevant to expected competencies. Such instructors are few and far between. Our courses are presently tailor-made.

For clarification, I wasn't referring to an MA specific to the oil industry or to English language instruction. The degree fields mentioned above would give you the practical foundation of training development and take your transferable skills into other industries (e.g., health care, manufacturing, education, HR development, IT, and so on) in private, non-profit, or government sectors.

You're stuck in the old-school ways of training, which will hinder you if you expect to work in other industries. Take a look at instructional design definitions -- creating a syllabus is just a tiny drop in the bucket.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragonpiwo



Joined: 04 Mar 2013
Posts: 1609
Location: Berlin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I think I'm stuck in the real world of my surroundings and the industry I chose to specialize in.
Granted syllabus design is only a part of it but with no budgets to spend on books let alone technology it's all moot.
I don't want to work in any other industry. I'm done. Once the property is bought, I'll be a lazy landlord and teach for beer tokens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
metrego355



Joined: 13 Mar 2018
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: ho to get into teaching in o and g Reply with quote

Are most instructors in this field male? How do you start in this sector?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11382
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ho to get into teaching in o and g Reply with quote

metrego355 wrote:
Are most instructors in this field male? How do you start in this sector?

Start? Not the best plan since the oil industry has cut back on hiring EFL instructors due to the slump in oil prices.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China