Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cant decide on the living arrangements
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demigod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: cant decide on the living arrangements Reply with quote

Nizwa Apartments is being recommended by a 3rd party company.

a little out the way, but favorable reviews

I have read so many stories about slow internet.

This worries me alot because I like to stream movies and Tv shows.

Will it better to just get my own apartment in Nizwa?

If so, will transportation and proper internet be an issue?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll figure out your housing situation once you get to Oman and actually see what your options are. Besides, you can't rent a place while outside the country anyway.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: cant decide on the living arrangements Reply with quote

Demigod wrote:
Will it better to just get my own apartment in Nizwa?

If so, will transportation and proper internet be an issue?

Better than what? Does your employer normally provide housing?

Yes... transportation and proper internet will probably be an issue.

You really need to get on the ground and talk to the teachers already there to learn the current situation. Almost nothing you can do at this point to alleviate any issues.

VS
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this U Niz?
edd_moseley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Housing Reply with quote

We lived in nizwa hotel apartments for a year, and now we have our own place. The hotel is fully furnished, newish and 2 bedrooms. They are also opposite the college, so you can walk to work. We moved out because we wanted more room and an outside space. The internetnt was OK, we got our own line installed with omantel, which was great and easy to do.

You won't find any other furnished housing in nizwa, so this place is great in that respect, especially if your moving here from out of the country. If you live in your own housing, you will need a car. I guess it all depends on how long you plan to stay, we liked living at the apartments. However, are you working for Al nawa? If so, I think they are making teachers share apartments. This is definitely something to consider.

Edd.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Shared apartment? Reply with quote

How many people in one flat?

It's well known that Al Nawa is cheap, but _that_ cheap?
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Housing Reply with quote

edd_moseley wrote:
However, are you working for Al nawa? If so, I think they are making teachers share apartments. This is definitely something to consider.

Absolutely! For me, shared accommodation is a deal killer. Obviously, if I wanted a job on an oil rig or something that would be different, but, the way I see it, we are not teenagers/undergraduates and a prospective employer who expects you to live in shared accommodation can't help but set off alarm bells. That's especially the case in a place like Oman, where it isn't necessary, and the employer is just trying to low-ball and save a few bucks.

Like a lot of people, I lived in various shared housing for years when I was younger, but, never again. I've become accustomed to enjoying my privacy too much. A friend staying over for a while is one thing, but, in this case, you don't know who you are going to be stuck with. Let's not forget that the Gulf attracts more than its fair share of, let's say, eccentrics. Working with them is one thing, but, having to go home to them as well would be a very different matter Rolling Eyes.
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharing a cell with someone you don't like could well lead to murder in the oman interior! Shocked
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Insane Reply with quote

Makes me wonder what Al Nawa thinks of next to squeeze a few more Rials out of their slave teachers.
Meanwhile, Al Nawa staff live in big, posh villas with all amenities and drive fancy new cars.

Just imagine your Indian flat mates' horrified look as you whip up a _beef_ stir fry in the shared kitchen.

If you're teamed up with a Muslim (from Tunesia, Morocco, Lebanon, Jordan...). you'll be in for a whole lot of trouble if you cook pork (e.g. bacon and eggs for breakfast), have alcohol around or - heaven forbidd- drink some water during daylight hours in Ramadan in your shared flat. There are keys to lock the fridge and nobody is stupid enough to drink tapwater.

Sharing with a Westerner seems unlikely in the interior as not many would apply and those who do are very "special".

Good luck!
danshengou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Insane Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
Makes me wonder what Al Nawa thinks of next to squeeze a few more Rials out of their slave teachers.
Meanwhile, Al Nawa staff live in big, posh villas with all amenities and drive fancy new cars. Good luck!

Just who are these Al Nawa staffers and what are they tasked with?
danshengou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
Sharing a cell with someone you don't like could well lead to murder in the oman interior! Shocked

Funny, but true enough! Razz
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: @ danshengou Reply with quote

Oh, there is no geographic orientation (e.g. here is the next supermarket for grocery shopping, laundry/dry cleaner for your clothes, bank/atm to set up an account or get some cash from your savings...) nor is there ever any cultural orientation to the Arab/ Muslim world.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: @ danshengou Reply with quote

Omani guys who pick-up the expat from the airport (in their fancy new cars), take away the foreigners' passport and drive them to the clinic for the medial check (x-day, blood work, urine/stool samples..); the police (fingerprinting, biometrics, background check...) and Immigration (resident card, work visa) as well as to the hotel, where one has to stay until all the administrative work is completed. Then, the slave...sorry, teacher is dropped off at the workplace. From that day onwards, the salary is counted and received a couple of months later minus the accommodation cost.

There is no help in setting up a bank account or other necessary infrastructure.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: @ danshengou Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
... nor is there ever any cultural orientation to the Arab/ Muslim world.

I taught in the Gulf from '88-'01... for many of the best university level employers... in Oman, UAE, and Kuwait... and not even one of them did anything concerning this. They assumed that they were hiring professionals who educated themselves about a culture before diving in to teach them.

Generally speaking they were right. But teachers also used to be well vetted by direct employers, not herded in with little or no vetting by contractors.

Sad to see how the conditions have declined (along with the pay and benefits). Shared housing is absolutely unacceptable except for the backpacking crowd in their early 20s.

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Arab/Muslim culture Reply with quote

Basic information is available but does not cover the intricacies and complexities encountered in daily life.
SQU has an extensive induction booklet for newbies, which is most helpful. However, other places have squid all.

There are also no Arabic language lessons on offer to assist expats in the assimilation process.

Culture shock is one of the reasons some Western teachers have left after a week or two in the country. The other reason was the lack of support in settling in, specifically from the recruitment agency.

It's rough being picked up from the airport, having to stay in a backpacker style hostel, being carted to the clinic, police, immigration and then dumped at the workplace without any assistance at all.

Having taught in Asia, I experienced a full briefing, a big welcome party and lots of help (e.g. in setting up a bank account, phone, internet, TV...). Some of the places where fully furnished with a full fridge. They made a real effort to welcome new staff, which paid off in terms of staff's loyality and devotion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: