Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polish Beer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Infinite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Polish Beer Reply with quote

There was a topic years ago on this board touching on this particular subject, but I figured since a lot's changes since, we could maybe talk about the better things in life over here.

The rise in the overall popularity of craft beers brought on an explosion of great watering holes no matter where you are. You can find great beers in many Zabkas and major markets. With over 1700 native beers and many breweries popping out each year, I can honestly say that we're finally able to enjoy variety here. Poland places 3rd in the E.U. in beer production and its beers placed within top 20 best in the world.

What's your poison?

With so many breweries out there now, I'm curious what are you guys drinking?
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bite, seeing as how there's sadly been an almost month-long drought of posts on this forum.

My standard poison of choice was Ciechan (anything but the sickeningly sweet miodowy) beer. Most of their line of beers are solid (as in good Wink) and reasonably priced.

Occasionally, I'd splurge on the Ale Browar beers. These have creative names like Rowing Jack and Sweet Cow.

I tried dozens of other craft beers in Poland (there's a tap house in Warsaw called Piw Paw that has 100 taps) but I can't remember any absolutely amazing craft beers. This is probably because Polish beer is hampered by a lack of quality ingredients, most notably clean, pure water. Also, Colorado's got so many great breweries vying for the market here that we're really spoiled.
Infinite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, you gotta try beers from few other breweries
Kraftwerk, Roch, Olimp, just top o' my noggin. Definitely comparable to anything that you can find stateside. Some of the porters have been hitting high marks on the world arena. One even making into to top 20.
I've been to Piw Paw and I know that area pretty well, they call it the beer mines now "zaglebie piwa" with few places having over 40 taps. There's the Cuda na kiju place right next to the palm tree that serves about 15 different taps and the vast majority are great. I ended up buying some US based beers recently just to compare and truth be told, there's really not much that the Polish beers lack. I've really enjoyed the Earl Grey IPAs, great stuff.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinite, I haven't been in Poland since Christmas 2014 so my info's a little dated. I haven't heard of any of those breweries you mentioned.

I'll definitely check out those bars and breweries you mentioned on my next trip over. It seems like every time I go back to Warsaw the nightlife scene has reinvented itself.

US - Poland airfare prices have been pretty steep lately, and that's kept me away. I've become a full-time student again so not a lot of disposable income.
sparks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly drink Perla Chmielowa from cans ( it's just a decent (not) EVERY day beer) but do try some others from time to time. I always find the Polish beers to be lacking something, not sure what, but especially in the IPAs. I put a Ciechan IPA next to a Hop Monster to compare, and could pick out the Polish IPA, or AIPA, as it's called, instantly i.e. because it tasted more bitter in a bad way. Maybe, as Shake says, it's the water. Not a beer expert by any stretch.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
I'll bite, seeing as how there's sadly been an almost month-long drought of posts on this forum.

My standard poison of choice was Ciechan (anything but the sickeningly sweet miodowy) beer. Most of their line of beers are solid (as in good Wink) and reasonably priced.

Unfortunately, their owner is a known homophobe, and many people boycott their products now as a result.

It's a pity, but there's also a bar in PoznaƄ that I boycott because of it. The English owner appears to be rather clueless about these things...
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: I like Reply with quote

Like most beer but Romper Mocne, 2ZL/can in Jabka is the nuts.
sparks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eww... 2 zl a can. That is decidedly SO not posh.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're talking cheap and strong, Debowe Mocne was my pick.

A couple of those on the ol' balcon are just what you need after that one hellish kids class.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the many reasons why I don't teach kids. The next time you're in Gdansk I'll take you to Lamus. It's only 70m from my flat. Great people. good music which is never too loud, and lot;s of good IPA. You'll love it.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Lamus, Scott. Great little place. We'll go there the next time I'm in town.
Infinite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a nice spot on Piekna [Piekna Mery] in Warsaw. They're doing renovations at the moment but should reopen soon enough. Nice atmosphere, good music and nice selection of brews for a small place like that [40 to pick from in June from Polish IPAs to German black beers, Belgian blonds and Czech lagers]. English speaking bartenders with a typical NYC sense of humor... good times.
the_roads_of_poland

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever Zabka sells is not craft beer and thats said with no snobbery, it just does not taste good.

Wroclaw is the craft beer king so there's so much to choose from that it's not even funny, even I have to newb it and start checking whats on tap on ratebeer.

My fallbacks are:
Ale Browar Rowing Jack
Birbant Citra
Browar Stu Mostow Salamander or the Imperial version
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the Rowing Jack. Most of AleBrowar's beers are quality stuff.
Infinite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Trzech Kumpli - Pan IPAni - white IPA... banging stuff.
Piwne Podziemie brewery - anything by these guys is ace.
Winchester Imperial IPA from Faktoria is great too.

There are so many at this point that it's difficult to pick. It's a great thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: