Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accommodation in Abu Dhabi / Studio or 1 bedroom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burgess29

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Accommodation in Abu Dhabi / Studio or 1 bedroom Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I have been recruited for a contract in Abu Dhabi. I fly out next week and start on Sunday 21st.

My employer provide 10 days of hotel accommodation, after which I have to find, pay for and furnish accommodation. Employer provides a relocation allowance in first few days.

Although I'm married, my wife will not join me until after Semester 1.

So in the first instance - what should I be spending per year for a nice studio (750+square feet) or 1 bedroom apartment? I don't mind where in AD I live and want to live somewhere pleasant and relatively cheap so I can pocket the remaining housing allowance.

Regards

burgess29

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
danshengou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Accommodation in Abu Dhabi / Studio or 1 bedroom Reply with quote

burgess29 wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have been recruited for a contract in Abu Dhabi. I fly out next week and start on Sunday 21st.

My employer provide 10 days of hotel accommodation, after which I have to find, pay for and furnish accommodation. Employer provides a relocation allowance in first few days.

Although I'm married, my wife will not join me until after Semester 1.

So in the first instance - what should I be spending per year for a nice studio (750+square feet) or 1 bedroom apartment? I don't mind where in AD I live and want to live somewhere pleasant and relatively cheap so I can pocket the remaining housing allowance.

Regards

burgess29

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

If you want to pocket some of that, it will be difficult. Pleasant and cheap housing don't go together, I'm afraid. Rest assured you will need to spend most of it if 'pleasant' is important to you. In addition, you will mostly likely have to pay for an agent to help you find a place.

Last edited by danshengou on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
burgess29

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is considered 'cheap' and 'reasonable' for decent housing?

Assume I have a budget of between 6K-9K monthly for single accommodation anywhere in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.

Regards

burgess
danshengou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go on dubizzle.com and you can find some places. Figure spending closer to the upper end of that range or going up to 10k for a 2-bedroom.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I'm in AD, so can tell you first hand what it's gonna cost you. Before anyone pipes up with the 'you can get a place for 5k a month' nonsense, I'll tell you you wouldn't want to put your wife anywhere near such places. A studio, mid range in a mostly expat community with pools ie Reem Island etc will set you back 6.5k/month plus bills. If you go to Raha Beach, 8k plus bills. If you do the Corniche 9-10k.

You need deposits for 3 different things and commission-about 10k and I paid 12 months in advance as is the norm. Get this and listen to no-one else-you need a tawtheek contract for housing or your wife won't get a residence visa. Places that are cheap ie in villas don't give this contract.

PM me.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Traffic Patterns Reply with quote

If your institute gives you 10 days in a hotel, you are very lucky.

One of the first things you might want to consider when you are over there at dubbizle is if you want to get a vehicle or not and where your work is located. Buses can be slow and it does get hot waiting and walking to the bus stop, so most teachers use taxis and do a door to door.

Since Abu Dhabi is an island here are some considerations.

From the north there are three main bridges onto the island and an accident can create quite a jam at rush hour. The following six areas would require a car and a commute across one of the three bridges.

1. Mussafah can have terrible traffic at rush hour. It tends to be a "bachelor residence", however there are family areas.

2 & 3. Khalifa City and Shakboot City do have legal residence for rent, but there is not much action going on out there.

4. Al Raha Beach areas. There are several on beach complexes, which are more expensive than the Khalifa City areas, but they have the expat creature lifestyle options.

5. Al Reef is a bit further out and doesn't have that much to offer aside of the gym and the pool.

6. Al Ghadeer Village is practically on the border with Dubai. It seems a bit desolate out there, but with a car, you would trundle into Abu Dhabi for work and be closer to Dubai for a weekend hop.

As to Reem Island, there can be issues with the commute into town due to the fact that there are two bridges which lead onto the island. However, most folks like the facilities, the lifestyle and there are buses that run quite regularly. There will be water taxis, too, or so it is said.

Al Saadiyat Island is probably out of range for most teachers, aside from those of the rarefied NYU nature.

Then there is "on-island" and if your institute is "on-island", this might be a good option. There are quite a few new buildings on the north of the island. The Danat area near the Airport Road Holiday Inn has quite a few offerings and good facilities. There is the Dusit Thani residence on Muroor which is still outside of the center of the city. Tourist Club and the center of the city can be a little bit like living in little India, but vibrant and the transport services are good. Being on the Cornich is lovely, but take into consideration that parking and traffic can be a consideration in the center of the city.

August is a landlord's market, so rents will be at their highest.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Accommodation in Abu Dhabi / Studio or 1 bedroom Reply with quote

burgess29 wrote:
Assume I have a budget of between 6K-9K monthly for single accommodation anywhere in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.

My employer provide 10 days of hotel accommodation, after which I have to find, pay for and furnish accommodation.

I don't mind where in AD I live and want to live somewhere pleasant and relatively cheap so I can pocket the remaining housing allowance.

Keep in mind you'll likely have to purchase furniture and household goods including major appliances. And then there are the monthly costs for utilities, Internet, and satellite tv. Add on phone, food (for 2), and transportation/car purchase or lease, etc., as regular monthly expenses, and you're not likely to pocket much after that.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Mussafa is way out of town as are Khalifa City A, Al-Reef and Al-Ghadeer. ADEC put most of their teachers in 1 of 2 buildings on Reem Island. I know cos some of them are my friends. All the flats on Reem have parking and there are now 3 bridges.

All things considered, you get more bang for your buck on Reem and I know a great realtor, should you need one.

1-bed places start at 95k for anything you would want to live in with your wife.

Co-op is good for budget electrical appliances and IKEA is the least hassle way to furnish your place. I did my studio for 9k including the curtains, which you'll probably need. I didn't buy anything second hand. Reem Island Markeplace on Facebook is good for second hand stuff. You'll get knock-down prices. Abu Dhabi Q and A is another group to join for finding general info.

Getting a place with a pool will actually save you a lot as trips to the beaches, which you often pay for can get quite costly for couples and families.

Also, there's a magazine and an App version of 'The Entertainer' , which contains 100s of half-price vouchers. Well worth the investment of 300 or so.

Eating out then check the happy hours. Our favourite 2 restaurants are both in the Crowne Plaza. Spaccanapoli is half-price 4-7pm on food and drink and the Asian place half-price on drinks only till 7pm. Half-price meals in such places are 170-300 each couple.
DirectDebit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abu Dhabi is full of restaurants that serve extremely good food for as little as 10 AED per person - not hotel standard but excellent nonetheless. Most Lebanese, Syrian, Turkish restaurants serve amazing set meals - you can't finish them there are so many extras (hummus, salads, breads, etc.) A half a grilled chicken with chips, bread, salad, hummus, etc is usually around 20-25 Dhs. You can have very good Indian food in air-conditioned restaurants for the same price. Philippino restaurants are also good places for a cheap fill. Cafeterias (all over Abu Dhabi) offer pretty good fast food - much more voluminous than the big chains, and usually a lot tastier and cheaper. I would avoid overpriced restaurants in hotels unless you have a discount coupon.

Visit the zomato.com website and click on the link on the left that says "Cost for 2 - Under 40 Dhs."
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Accommodation in Abu Dhabi / Studio or 1 bedroom Reply with quote

burgess29 wrote:
I fly out next week and start on Sunday 21st.

If you're landing in Abu D in less than 10 days, you'll have a better sense of your housing options from your employer, colleagues, and realtors. Besides, other new arrivals will be in the same boat -- you won't be the only person seeking a place to live.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

If he's working for ADEC, chances are, he'll end up in Gate Tower. All our ADEC friends live there, literally scores of them. They have their own agent who deals with the property manager I heard. Rent's somewhere between 7 and 8/9k depending on if it's a studio or 1-bed.

And yes, kebab shops, burger joints, pizza places abound. Fast food is what most of my building people live on judging by the armada of scooters. All that's somewhere between 10AED for a kebab and 50AED for a pizza.

I'm sure their employer will have some agreement with the landlords if it's a big one. In my experience, the employer offers an allowance but pays it and doesn't let you keep the change from the rent.
danshengou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the only thing pressing is the 10-day limit in the hotel, check if your company is paying your housing allowance monthly with your salary. If so, you could probably negotiate staying with the hotel another month, or find some other cheap hotel to stay at while you take your time to get to know the area and find a place you really like.
DirectDebit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:

And yes, kebab shops, burger joints, pizza places abound. Fast food is what most of my building people live on judging by the armada of scooters. All that's somewhere between 10AED for a kebab and 50AED for a pizza.

I wasn't referring to fast food places - I was referring to the hundreds of good, cheap restaurants that are not in hotels, where you can eat good quality meals (healthy ones with salads, etc.) at a fraction of the cost of over-priced hotel restaurants. You can save a lot more money frequenting these restaurants than eating at hotels.
helenl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, you are getting your housing allowance on a monthly/annual lump sum basis from your employer - your employer is not going to be paying your landlord, correct? If the latter, you may not be able to pocket any difference.
burgess29

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a choice. I can either get my housing allowance paid monthly with my salary. So my salary will incorporate my housing allowance.

Or I can take my rental contract to HR, who will pay my housing up front and deduct it until its paid for the year. Once it is paid, ill continue to receive my housing allowance incorporated into my salary. One of my friends at the same company did this - it took him 8 months to pay off the housing in full, then he banked whatever was left over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: