Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English Language Centers in Doha

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweeniak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: English Language Centers in Doha Reply with quote

Hi to all! I've been scrolling through past posts looking for info specifically regarding English language centers (vs. schools and universities that offer instruction in English). I've seen lists like ESLBases.com's English Language Schools in Qatar list, I haven't seen many reviews of what it's like to work at the different language centers (other than that IH typically pays low).

So my question is this: Does anyone have any opinions about or experience in language centers here with regards to workload, pay, hours, environment/atmosphere, etc?

I am in Doha already and have interviews lined up with inLingua and Educate.

FYI I have my CELTA, four years experience, and an unrelated BA in case that influences matters. From what I've seen online, that's typically enough for a language center (though not enough for a school/university).

Thanks for your time!!
danshengou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a trailing spouse? You see, Doha is expensive; so on those quals the salaries offered at the language schools won't get you very far. But if it was just something to do for extra cash, because your significant other already provides the roof, then ok.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: English Language Centers in Doha Reply with quote

Sweeniak wrote:
I haven't seen many reviews of what it's like to work at the different language centers (other than that IH typically pays low).

So my question is this: Does anyone have any opinions about or experience in language centers here with regards to workload, pay, hours, environment/atmosphere, etc?

I am in Doha already and have interviews lined up with inLingua and Educate.

So you and your husband ended up in Qatar and not Oman! Smile

There don't appear to be any online reviews of these schools, so you'll have to rely on the info provided during your interview --- from both your interviewer and questions you have of them. I suspect these are part time positions with varied timeslots. The pay, whatever that amount is, is likely to be lukewarm and non-negotiable since these are for-profit businesses.

If anything, if you're set for in-person interviews, you'll get a glimpse of the classrooms and overall condition of the work area when you visit. But if you're scheduled for phone interviews, try to stop by for a short visit prior to your interview.
Sweeniak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you a trailing spouse?

Yes, I'm here on a spousal visa. I'm still looking for a good career for myself that is as professionally and financially rewarding as possible given my current quals.

Quote:
So you and your husband ended up in Qatar and not Oman! Smile

Yep! Well remembered Smile Thanks for the confirmation that there's not much online and I appreciate the guidance to get a feel for the place in person. It went well at Educate and I got a good impression, am excited to see what other places are like!

On a different note, someone I spoke with mentioned putting my name in to sub at different schools - do you have any idea of how to go about doing that?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeniak wrote:
Someone I spoke with mentioned putting my name in to sub at different schools - do you have any idea of how to go about doing that?

Other than simply contacting schools directly... no. But first, make sure your visa allows you to work for various employers.

I suggest you also join several of the general Qatar expat forums, which reach a wider expat community and cover many aspects of living and working in Qatar. Google qatar expat forum.
Sweeniak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Will do!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: