Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work visa for teaching in Istanbul

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brnrd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:51 am    Post subject: Work visa for teaching in Istanbul Reply with quote

Background: Over 20 yrs in China BA + CELTA Canadian.Been in Canada 3 yrs taking care of my elderly father - no siblings.Twice in that time I had to give up taking a job because of medical emergencies due to my father's health,and once in Saudi because of a dodgy visa,so I scraped going.

This present job is in Istanbul.I had the job prior to sending my CV (hmm!)
Salary 2750TL a month (quite low,but I haven't worked in 3 yrs,AND I'm 53, never made much money in ESL before, and now..my life is coming to the end of ESL work,so big money? Haha! )
90 hrs working a month 40 min lessons, traveling around the city.I assume a lot of commuting.
6 days a week.
No airfare.
NOT great (see my being in ESL a long time,and still poor diatribe above)but it's fair,and I'd get to see some Roman architecture etc..(Roman history buff)
The deal breaker may be...."as I had mentioned during Skype we offer residence permit not work permit." Well, I looked at Canadian Embassy site and you DO need a work visa. What problems am I facing?
eg. She's unable to get one? It's up to me? She wouldn't expect me to go on the 90 day visit visa and then wait 90 more days to apply again? Meaning she's thinking I'd work illegally, or just get another ESL-er off the tree for another 3 month period?
Cheers,
William W
P.S. Accommodation is included it's SHARED,but apparently with MORE than one other. No I'm not a Filipina maid,though at times I feel like one..Sad
Larryj917

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget this. You would be working illegally.
Kim Macintosh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about this job being a loser, but at least in the past it would have been a common enough deal for a 23 y/old TEFL holder with little/no experience.

That includes this business with the RP. You will be working illegally, but a lot of people, especially these new or poorly qualified people, have historically gone this route, and it has historically worked. The RP itself isn't that easy to pick-up, and without the school having someone to walk you through the process it'll be undoable. RP requirements include having local health insurance prepaid for at least a year, which can easily cost $100/month for someone your age. These language institutes will spring for that or split the cost with you, but its just another wrinkle. As common, you will find schools that wait to the last minute of your 90 days to help you with the RP, and then decide whether they really want to......

Keeping in mind the current political situation, is working illegally something you really want to even consider in any case. With your background I suspect you can do better if you keep looking. Don't sell yourself short for being out of work for a year or whatever.
BrotherJimma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: keep looking Reply with quote

I agree that with your qualifications, you can do much better. Since the coup debacle this summer, many good positions have opened up. Some of the better universities have seen 10 to 15% of their foreign staff decide to leave Turkey. I get unsolicited job offers every week here in Istanbul, something that rarely happened before. Remember that this is NOT an employers market now! 2750 TL is low, even with housing. Istanbul is incredibly expensive.

The visa process has been streamlined, so all decent schools are now able to afford it and navigate the paperwork for you. The days when a foreigner could be comfortable working under the table in Turkey are long over.

Furthermore, you should forget about a position that shuffles you around the city which has the highest commute times in the entire world.

Don't sell yourself short! I can give you the names of some reputable schools who are hiring right now.
brnrd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Turkey anyone? Reply with quote

Update I know years ago we used to dislike when someone wouldn't give an update,and I'm sure it still applies.

I sent the person in question an email (as I did last year for KSA..Hmm?) stating that under the multiple...issues (!) Turkey is confronting right at present, working illegally is not wise. Unlike the KSA "everyone does it" spiel, I got the no reply-reply.
I haven't seen much on offer for Turkey.My 2 sources being Serious and Dave's for jobs. I'm reluctant,but may have to do PRC again.
Cheers,
William W.
P.S. where for art those Turkish jobs?
murray1978

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a bottom of the barrel job mate. I hope you can find a job with a legal work visa. Good luck!
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No legal visa + shared accommodation

Do not do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: