Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Newbie En Route to Nagoya

View previous topic :: View next topic  
briezh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: A Newbie En Route to Nagoya Reply with quote

The first step of my journey to Japan starts here.

I will be relocating to Japan in January. I have a CELTA, a BA in English, and I am an American native English speaker. I am lucky to be traveling with my boyfriend who's company and will be providing us both with housing and health insurance. We know we'll be living in Nagoya, after a few months in Sapporo and I'd like to find employment in Nagoya starting in April at the earliest.

My questions are should I go on a tourist visa and spend the cold winter in Sapporo applying to jobs? Should I start applying for jobs here in the hopes they will sponsor a visa? I think I'd like to work in a public school; with my credentials am I likely to be hired? I should mention that have been a substitute teacher in a local charter school (middle grades and high school) for the last year as well as bartending. Do teacher moonlight in the service industry abroad because I'd be interested in doing so. Would a work visa from a school allow me to apply for other part-time work?

I've been looking around the forums and I've learned a lot but I am still unsure what my best course of action is pertaining to my visa.

Thanks for any advice!

-Briezh
kzjohn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Check your messages. Others may be able to add more.)
Ferto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of the visa, I think your best is to apply to the large scale recruiters now. Some of them are already recruiting for April. And I suspect you will have a good chance of landing something through them to teach in Nagoya.

As far as I understand, the work visa will not restrict you from extra part-time work, but your employer contract might mention it.

As soon as you start teaching here, stop thinking of working in the service industry. Focus on getting used to your main teaching job, get networked, and, eventually, opportunities to teach on the side will appear.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can work in a second industry with permission -

http://www.tokyoimmigration.jp/eng/shikakugai.html

However, a teacher bartending on the side could be pr problem for a school.
briezh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information and links. I am surprised and excited to hear recruiting is going on now for April!
marley'sghost

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, you might as well see if you can land a job in Nagoya now. If nothing pans out, try again from chilly Sapporo on a tourist visa.
No worries, you are well qualified for entry-level work in public schools. The bulk of the jobs are what are called "ALT" or "AET" jobs, short for Assistant Language/English Teacher. You'll work with a Japanese English teacher in the class. I've been doing it for years. It's great in that you get to do all the fun teacher stuff and skip out on the drudgery and responsibility. Also skip out on decent pay, and benefits, but hey can't have everything.
The vast majority of these ALT jobs are run through dispatch companies, or more accurately "vultures". They are basically temp agencies who provide the schools the comfort, convenience and insurance of a middleman at the expense of the employee's salary, job security, benefits and I can go on and on. Getting a school to hire you directly usually takes time and connections.
But don't worry about the bloodsuckers too much. They'll get you a visa and enough to live on for a start. The big ones, Interac, Alita, won't rip you off any more than the law allows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: