Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAS Nizwa through Al Nawa
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thecoolteacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: CAS Nizwa through Al Nawa Reply with quote

yo

Last edited by thecoolteacher on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roses189

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Nawa has only just taken over the contract to provide teachers for CAS. Those of us who are returning to work under Al Nawa (and a significant pay cut) have a wait and see attitude. Other posters on this site with experience of working for Al Nawa have had nothing good to say. We can only hope things have changed.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubbish money. Go for direct hire with the ministry. Masters + 4 years post master's experience = 1,600 omr.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
Rubbish money. Go for direct hire with the ministry. Masters + 4 years post master's experience = 1,600 omr.

Good to see you back, MuscatGary Smile. Unfortunately, there is a 'freeze' in hiring foreign teachers with the Ministry at the moment, or, at least, to the best of my knowledge, that was the case a few months ago....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ministries have been doing very little hiring lately... and it seems to have moved to zero this year. (as the Sgt says)

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Ministry Reply with quote

Current knowledge in my workplace indicates that the ministry is hiring locals (Omanis) only. Ex-pats haven't been hired for a couple of years.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Rubbish money Reply with quote

875 Omani Rial=Salary
200= Housing/Furniture Allowance
60= Travel Allowance
30-Utilities

I wouldn't work in Oman for that. Somebody is creaming it. I was on 1,600 as a direct hire with the MOHE.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Salary vs Expenses Reply with quote

It's a pittance considering what one has to go through to earn it.

Probably not enough for the OP who wants to feed a family of four. If private schooling has to be paid for, it will be neigh impossible.

In addition, the start up costs are significant (e.g. air conditioners, fridge, cooker, washing machine, TV, beds, couch, dining setting) as a wife and two kids won't accept indoor camping/ rough living to save a few measly Rials.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work at one of the colleges that they are advertising for, but that was under Hawthorn and before Al Nawa got the contract with the Ministry.

Let's put it this way, I was banking, on average and after getting established, 500-700 OMR a month. That's for a single person with relatively modest habits. I did eat out all the time, maintained a car, had reasonable fully-furnished accommodation and only hit the bars occasionally. Financially, going to Oman was one of the better decisions that I've made, but, seeing as I was living and working in the Gulf, I did have to put up with all the nonsense that entails. The new contract is about 150 OMR less a month than what I was getting. Is it still worth it? I guess that depends on how much a person wants to live in Oman and what their financial goals are....
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: tight squeeze Reply with quote

Well, the OP will get 150 OMR less and will have 4 mouths to feed instead of one.

These mouths have teeth, especially the children's. Braces cost money. Dental is not included.

However, the biggest cost will be schooling for the two kids.

The OP has to do the sums and decide whether it's worth it.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: tight squeeze Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
Well, the OP will get 150 OMR less and will have 4 mouths to feed instead of one.

These mouths have teeth, especially the children's. Braces cost money. Dental is not included.

However, the biggest cost will be schooling for the two kids.

The OP has to do the sums and decide whether it's worth it.

Sure and I made it very clear what my circumstances were. I can't speak with any authority about the cost of raising a family in Oman as I've never done it. However, I did have mortgage commitments on my rental property when I was there and, I promise you, that did add up. Everyone's financial circumstances are going to be different and if any posters out there are raising a family in Oman and don't mind sharing then, by all means, please post.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a good experience with a recruiter. I got my position by looking up different schools in Oman and emailing them one by one. I just re-signed for second year with a modest salary increase and hope to stay for awhile.

It cut out the middle man. It looks like a lot of the troubles teachers are having in Oman these days have to do with the middle men. Why let someone else get their fingers in your pocket?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie123 wrote:
It cut out the middle man. It looks like a lot of the troubles teachers are having in Oman these days have to do with the middle men. Why let someone else get their fingers in your pocket?

True, but the reality of the last few years is that outside of SQU and a few private colleges, the majority of jobs are controlled by recruiters in Oman now. They are not really a "middle man" because they are your employer. There is no way to cut them out for most.

VS
Charlie123

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the details, but I spoke to an instructor recently who told me that they were hired directly in a college where many or most of the other instructors were hired by the recruiter. As a result, they were having troubles that he wasn't....

Anyway, my advice to anyone entering the Oman job market for the first time is to try to land a direct hire. I guess that might mean approaching the private colleges first before resorting to contractors.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject: middle fiddle man Reply with quote

It begs the question why private colleges don't advertise directly?

What is the reason that they keep using these incompetent, lazy, money-sucking agencies?

Personally, I had gone through a recruiter previously in a different country and they were okay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: