Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAS Nizwa through Al Nawa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie123 wrote:
I don't know the details, but I spoke to an instructor recently who told me that they were hired directly in a college where many or most of the other instructors were hired by the recruiter. As a result, they were having troubles that he wasn't....

If you find out the details then please let us know. If they were able to recently do it, for example, at a College of Applied Sciences then I'll be very surprised and very impressed.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easier and likely even cheaper to pass the aggravation of hiring off to recruiters. Finding a direct hire position is just not an option for the vast majority of applicants in Oman. Most of the private colleges hire just 1-3 teachers a year... and most pay even lower than the recruiter jobs. Crying or Very sad

VS
Demigod

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Avoid Nawa Reply with quote

Please avoid Nawa and try to stay with Hawthorne ..
Too many people are get dismissed the very first day of arrival.
Some do not even make it past the recruiting office.

I urge you to have a back up plan if you plan to work for them.
I would rather work for one of those 3rd party places in Saudi Arabia. At least, you would get about 1000 more dollars monthly

pm me if you want exact details
Roses189

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the CAS teachers are ministry hires. At my college all the Omani teachers are employed directly by MOHE and one or two non-Omani staff. They do get paid more and have more annual leave entitlements. But MOHE is not hiring at the moment.
Lord T

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice Al-Nawa are looking for more native-speakers to teach at the CAS in Oman.

When Al-Nawa took over from Hawthorn there was concern that they wouldn't be up to the job.

How are they doing so far?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course all Omanis are direct hire. It is rare for expats to get direct hire except at SQU and the private colleges.

VS
Roses189

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Nawa are NOT up to the job. They have proven to be incompetent, deceitful and everything else we were worried about. Absolutely shocking job they are doing. It's impossible to believe they've had any experience at all with this type of work.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like your "typical" Oh Mani Employer...incompetent, deceitful and not up to the job...but then again the same could be said for many TEFLers I know in Oh Man....we also forgot "backstabbers"!!! Laughing Shocked
Roses189

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, backstabbers! Al Nawa have made Hawthorne look like angels and they haven't had to work hard to do it either.
Lord T

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see they are advertising again. It doesn't state the salary, of course.
If you are a native speaker with a PhD, you will also need at least 2 years' teaching experience (post-gaining your PhD), to be considered for the position.

And if you believe all that, I have a container full of snake oil to sell.

Anyone interested?
Salander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Al Nawa Reply with quote

Roses189 wrote:
Quote:
Al Nawa are NOT up to the job. They have proven to be incompetent, deceitful and everything else we were worried about. Absolutely shocking job they are doing. It's impossible to believe they've had any experience at all with this type of work.

Hello Roses,
Your above message is depressing. I interviewed through Al Nawa (with a Ministry representative) for CAS a week ago, and next day received a message saying I had passed the interview, and to complete a form stating my preferences for housing and other allowances. I had also previously indicated I was available for an immediate start, and was asked for my earliest available start date. I sent all required details promptly. One week later, the silence is deafening - nothing! No Offer Letter, not a word.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Al Nawa Reply with quote

Salander wrote:
Roses189 wrote:
Quote:

Hello Roses,
Your above message is depressing. I interviewed through Al Nawa (with a Ministry representative) for CAS a week ago, and next day received a message saying I had passed the interview, and to complete a form stating my preferences for housing and other allowances. I had also previously indicated I was available for an immediate start, and was asked for my earliest available start date. I sent all required details promptly. One week later, the silence is deafening - nothing! No Offer Letter, not a word.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this.

Things move slowly in Oman. especially if you are dealing with the Ministry. It is hard to predict exactly what they are going to do, but it is definitely not unusual for them to take a long time -- sometimes months.
Salander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I know the system here, and am a veteran of both Hawthorn and CAS, not to mention the monotonous grind of Ministry bureaucracy. Consequently, I have developed an endless pit of patience. However, I do question if any teachers are actually needed right now in any of the colleges at CAS. An early April start is unusual, as far as I recall. Therefore, I surmise that Al Nawa could be stringing me along, and that there is no immediate start.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salander wrote:
An early April start is unusual, as far as I recall. Therefore, I surmise that Al Nawa could be stringing me along, and that there is no immediate start.

Not necessarily. They have a contract with the Ministry to supply x number of teachers. If a teacher had to leave due to a sickness in the family etc. then they get replaced. If they don't, then the agency is missing out on their cut for that particular teacher, which they are obviously loathe to do. Just before I arrived at the Salalah CAS, one teacher had to leave the country, right before the semester break and annual holidays. They replaced him with an 'urgent hire' who just sat at his desk and did nothing for something like two or three months Rolling Eyes. However, if those are the circumstances, then they would know the college location, so I don't know why they would be asking you for location preferences Confused.

Roses189 wrote:
Nawa have made Hawthorne look like angels and they haven't had to work hard to do it either.

All in all, my experiences for the two years that I worked for Hawthorne were positive. They weren't perfect, but, what employer is? Reading other people's experiences on the Gulf forums, I think it's fair to say that I could have done a damn sight worse! As to what Al Nawa is like, personally, I wouldn't have a clue as I left just before the changeover happened.
Salander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too cannot compare these 2 recruiters, and seek to keep an open mind. Comparisons are not always fruitful, and can be negative. Al Nawa may offer me something last minute, and if I am available and not too far away, I will go for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: