Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding jobs when you have higher qualifications?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ITeachYorkshire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Finding jobs when you have higher qualifications? Reply with quote

Hi ESL community,

I'm hoping someone can give me advice on how to find good opportunities in the Middle East for those with higher level qualifications. I have been working hard to up my quals to find a better package, but can only see standard packages that those with a CELTA and regular degree can apply for.

I've been looking at the UAE thus far, as it is a bit more of a relaxed atmosphere. I'm from England, so I thought it would be an easier adjustment.

Bit about my background:

I'm an ESL/English teacher with 10 years experience, I've taught a number of different courses: from English in the workplace, general ESL and English as an Academic Language. I am currently also teaching GCSE English in the UK, which is the national qualification students take in their final year of high school. I have taught abroad in Asia before, for over 2 years, so I do have some international experience too.

I have a PGCE at Masters Level (PG Dip) and a Diploma in ESL at Masters level too. I will finish my Masters in Education by December, so I will have an M Ed by the time any contract would start. This is on top of a CELTA that I got early on in my teaching career.

Any advice? Thanks in advance Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding jobs when you have higher qualifications? Reply with quote

For the UAE, see if you'd qualify for k-12 teaching positions via Teach Away. However, your best bet for university-level employment is Saudi Arabia and possibly Oman -- apply during the spring recruitment season at either TESOL Arabia's or IATEFL's job fair once you have your degree in hand. (The rest of the Gulf expects 2-3 years of experience post-relevant MA.)
ITeachYorkshire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply nomad.

I've been in touch with Teach Away and so far I've just seen the standard MOE contracts that offer 21,000 AED. This is a good wage but once rent, groceries and bills are paid, it doesn't leave much in way of savings.

Are the K-12 positions different? Do they usually offer accommodation in the package?

And do Gulf countries they really expect 2 years post MA? I've been full-time teaching for 10 years, surely that's more for fresh graduates who haven't got teaching experience?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITeachYorkshire wrote:
Are the K-12 positions different? Do they usually offer accommodation in the package?

I have no clue. You'll have to look at actual job ads for k-12 positions to see if you qualify and what's offered.

The region is changing; salaries and benefits have declined while qualifications are being tightened.

and ITeachYorkshire wrote:
And do Gulf countries they really expect 2 years post MA? I've been full-time teaching for 10 years, surely that's more for fresh graduates who haven't got teaching experience?

It doesn't matter how much experience you gained while only holding a BA because a BA doesn't make the cut. The minimum degree accepted for university English positions is a TESOL-related MA and 2-3 years experience after the MA was conferred. Employers aren't interested in fresh graduates. Besides, you wouldn't be able to compete for jobs against the many MA and PhD holders with tons of experience, including those with direct Mid East teaching experience. That's for Kuwait and Qatar as well as the few scraps of opportunities left in the UAE. On the other hand, some KSA universities would accept your newly-minted MA.
ITeachYorkshire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa that's a bit stricter than I expected. I thought a PG Dip and Masters level Diploma would've counted.

Thanks for the heads up Nomad. Are you working in the ME?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITeachYorkshire wrote:
Whoa that's a bit stricter than I expected. I thought a PG Dip and Masters level Diploma would've counted.

Thanks for the heads up Nomad. Are you working in the ME?

Some posters have argued the same about the Delta -- why employers don't consider it equal to a master's degree. Qualifications can be quite specific and not at the level some job seekers expect. For example, from a current ad for direct-hire positions at King Abdulaziz U in Saudi Arabia:
    Qualifications
    • MA in TESL, TEFL, Applied Linguistics (or any related field from an accredited university). Or,
    • BA in English plus a Certificate/Diploma in English Language Teaching (and a minimum experience of three years in ELT).
    Source: http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=40138
A BA, MA, and PhD are standard qualifications in every western country. (I'm from the US and have difficulty with all the various types and levels of UK qualifications. It's alphabet soup to me! Wink )

Anyway, I last worked in the ME two years ago and returned to the US to pursue other yet related career paths.
danshengou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the OP be averse to teaching in HK? You might find a much more suitable life standard there with your quals, and a lot more k-12 options. Geographically farther away from the UK and with a humid sub-tropical climate, but easier to adapt to life overall it would seem. And they drive on the left too Wink
ITeachYorkshire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
Would the OP be averse to teaching in HK? You might find a much more suitable life standard there with your quals, and a lot more k-12 options. Geographically farther away from the UK and with a humid sub-tropical climate, but easier to adapt to life overall it would seem. And they drive on the left too Wink

I'd love to teach in HK, but isnt one of the most expensive places in the world to live?

But hey, any type of warm climate is better than England.

PM me uf you know where to look for job opportunities danshengou.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITeachYorkshire wrote:
I'd love to teach in HK, but isnt one of the most expensive places in the world to live?

PM me uf you know where to look for job opportunities.

If Saudi Arabia isn't your taste, head to both the Hong Kong and China discussion forums to ask about well-paying positions.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: well... Reply with quote

I'm in the UAE. There are a lot of cuts right now as oil has weakened and there is an efficiency drive. On top of that it's an expensive country. That 21,000 gig you mentioned was 21,000 plus housing, flights and a settling in allowance last year.

While I commend your perseverance re the quals, you are a clear example of the fact that getting lots of certificates doesn't necessarily get someone a decent job.

If money is your thing. go for oil and military gigs. Everyone wants those uni jobs and they aren't that well paid in most cases.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: well... Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
If money is your thing. go for oil and military gigs. Everyone wants those uni jobs and they aren't that well paid in most cases.

It's odd that you are suggesting oil gigs given your concern that your oil teaching job is in jeopardy of getting cut. Confused
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Oil gigs anywhere. Mine may get cut, might not but that's the UAE right now.
ITeachYorkshire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the ESL market is getting tough over there, I had tge option to go over a few years ago and thought I'd be better served wqiting for my M Ed. Looks like you can never plan these things!
ITeachYorkshire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to look into Saudi and Oman, thanks for the info guys.

Though looking through other forums, I think spring is recruiting season. I might have to hang on for a while.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the Middle East. The salaries are nothing special. Look for Western country tie-ups with Asian universities or satellite campuses eg RMIT (Vietnam), University of Nottingham (Ningbo).

Good savings opportunities. Significantly better lifestyle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: