Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any job vacancies?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mafuane

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Any job vacancies? Reply with quote

Currently any ESL teacher working in Thailand and wanting to move to the Philippines when my contract ends in july. Using the list of schools here lead me to a dead end since most of the emails are out of date. I've also been searching diligently online but without luck. Wondering if anyone has heard of anywhere through word of mouth. Any help is appreciated.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Any job vacancies? Reply with quote

Mafuane wrote:
Currently any ESL teacher working in Thailand and wanting to move to the Philippines when my contract ends in july. Using the list of schools here lead me to a dead end since most of the emails are out of date. I've also been searching diligently online but without luck. Wondering if anyone has heard of anywhere through word of mouth. Any help is appreciated.

Unless you have a 13a visa (married to a Pinay) or are a returning OFW your chances of legal employment are effectively "0".

The Philippines exports "English" teachers to the rest of east Asia and there is also no shortage of "white folks" who have residence visas and take on what extra work there is in EFL as a supplement to other income.

The exceptions would be those who hold valid US teaching licenses. International schools await and often clamor for staff.

If you are willing to work illegally on tourist visa extensions then you need to be there in person.

There is often short time work at Korean run language centers located in Bagio, Makati and Cebu. The pay is about p200-250 per class hour.

You'll need to apply in person. They don't advertise on-line for their illegal workers.

EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are literally thousands of Pinoys seeking work as EFL teachers worldwide...as the pay in the Philippines is extremely low. If one chooses to teach English in the Philippines you will be lucky to save any money at all. There are thousands of North Americsn retirees married to Filipinas..and they need the extra teaching work and income too. Competition for any EFL teaching job openings in very tough...if not fierce for any openings at all especially in Cebu, Manila and in Davao. Shocked
rioux

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work elsewhere.
Just come to the Philippines for a vacation.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
Work elsewhere.
Just come to the Philippines for a vacation.

Just like many Filipinas have to......
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a Pinoy or Balikbayan you know there is NO money to be made teaching English in the Philippines Shocked
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Any job vacancies? Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:

The exceptions would be those who hold valid US teaching licenses. International schools await and often clamor for staff.

Only those from the US?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are literally thousands of North Americans that apply for teaching jobs yearly in the Philippines at international schools. Ones chances of landing a lucrative teaching job are the same as winning the lottery! Shocked
Tudor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suphanburi said
Quote:
International schools await and often clamor for staff.

EFL Educator said
Quote:
There are literally thousands of North Americans that apply for teaching jobs yearly in the Philippines at international schools. Ones chances of landing a lucrative teaching job are the same as winning the lottery!

So which is it? Based on the respective posters' past form on Dave's, I'm leaning heavily toward the former...
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From experience, if you hold valid and current licensure from North America there is work in the international school system.

Pay is decent but the work is what you would expect. Look to apply after Christmas for school positions starting in Sept.

If your license is not current then your odds are not good.

daveweave2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Any job vacancies? Reply with quote

I would suggest you work online or brick and mortor for a foreign company. My experience with Philippine English Teaching Companies is not good. I applied to teach online with talk 51 and was told I was not experienced enough and they had better candidates. I have a secondary teaching certification in the US and a TESOL as well as eight years experience teaching in Korea and Saudi Arabia including working for the US Air Force which had strict qualifications. They blew off their scheduled interview and when I called them they interviewed me 5 minutes later for maybe 5 minutes. Very, very shifty folks I think. Also look at schools here run by people from foreign countries. The wages here for teachers are very low, they don't want to hire us. Some online teaching positions teaching Koreans pay not too bad I did that before. You have to buy a good internet connection, the basic internet here really sucks.
JohnD47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
If you are a Pinoy or Balikbayan you know there is NO money to be made teaching English in the Philippines Shocked

I think, the correct term should be "not enough money". Teachers do their jobs because it is their passion to build the dreams of their students.
Zanada

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: >< Reply with quote

How about other jobs than Teaching. I'm a Canadian. Wondering if there are say, jobs in I.T. Would there be any Canadian Comp's interested in recruting a Canadian worker for example?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zanada wrote:
How about other jobs than Teaching. I'm a Canadian. Wondering if there are say, jobs in I.T. Would there be any Canadian Comp's interested in recruting a Canadian worker for example?

Do some research. Start with a Net search on Canadian companies in Philippines. There's also a Canadian Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines. Contact the Canadian Embassy for info about NGOs and businesses operating in the country.

If you have a background in IT, consider completing training in user experience (UX) design or human-computer interaction (HCI). UX design is high paying in our home countries and in demand worldwide. See https://uxpa.org/system/files/public/UXPASalarySurvey2014_Final.pdf
Zanada

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: >< Reply with quote

Super! thank you so much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: