Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bucaramanga

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Bucaramanga Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I am CELTA qualified but lack teaching experience or a degree. Could anyone please advise me on my chances of finding a job in Bucaramanga?

Many thanks in advance.
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost zero. It's too small of a place. You're better off in most other cities.
Regi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure? I went to Cucuta and was offered a job there with a reputable school (we ended up not staying because my wife (who's Colombian) was scared about the political situation with Venezuela). The thing is that I'm a "small town boy" and would much rather live as such in Colombia.

I've been to Bogota several times, and although I found it interesting and everything, the sheer size of it puts me off wanting to live there permanently.
spanglish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regi wrote:
Are you sure? I went to Cucuta and was offered a job there with a reputable school (we ended up not staying because my wife (who's Colombian) was scared about the political situation with Venezuela). The thing is that I'm a "small town boy" and would much rather live as such in Colombia.

I've been to Bogota several times, and although I found it interesting and everything, the sheer size of it puts me off wanting to live there permanently.

You need to post more info about yourself if you want better responses (education, experience, background). With a Colombian wife, a CELTA, and a good talking 'game,' you should be competitive for most colegio and institute jobs in any city, including Bucaramanga.

To be blunt, your wife and the accompanying work visa is your greatest asset, especially in smaller cities.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:
You need to post more info about yourself if you want better responses (education, experience, background).

He did:
Regi wrote:
I am CELTA qualified but lack teaching experience or a degree.
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucaramanga is a great city to live in, so I can't fault you for being attracted to it.

But with that said, there really aren't that many jobs. The economy in Colombia is such that the few decent institutes that are here have been losing students lately. However, you have connections here. You could find enough private lessons to get by until you find something decent I suppose. I just think you would have much better luck in other cities.

Have you and your wife considered Cali? It's not that big, but there are undoubtedly more opportunities there than in Bucaramanga.
Regi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame about the economy there but thanks for the heads up anyway. I think Cali would be too hot for both of us, and my wife would never live there as she lived there years ago and was robbed at gunpoint.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: