Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University of Guadalajara - need help with job application

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsHoffman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: University of Guadalajara - need help with job application Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a newbie to teaching EFL overseas, but I've been Teaching English as a Foreign Language to international college students in San Bernardino, CA for a few years now. I have my M.A. in English and my TEFL certificate (in-person program with a 15-hour supervised Teaching Practicum).

I speak/read Spanish very well, so through Google, etc. I found a Mexican job site advertising a great Maestro De Ingles position at the UNIVERSIDAD DE GUADALAJARA. Unfortunately, I've run into a bit of a problem:

In order to apply for this position (or get any contact information about the hiring person at the university), I have to register for this Mexican job site. And (of course), in order to register for the job site, I need a CURP identification, which is the Mexican social security number (as a non-citizen I don't have one).

Is there any way around this? I do have a Mexican consulate near me, so if there's a chance that going there will help me get this CURP (and hopefully access to many job ads), then it's no problem. I'm just worried that the consulate will just tell me that I can't get the CURP because I'm an American citizen who's never been to Mexico (yet!).

I did click through the UNIVERSIDAD DE GUADALAJARA web site, and I couldn't find any job postings there. I did see a lot of contact information for professors and administrators, but I'm hesitant to just randomly email people about the job. Is there a specific department or position I should contact?

Also if you know of any good job sites for Mexico that don't require the CURP, that would be extremely helpful.

I did contact the Mexican consulate, and they said they couldn't help me, so I suppose that box is checked.

Anyway, any advice would be most welcome.

All the best,
Heather
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A curp is made from a formula.

John Doe, date of birth January first, 1999 outside of Mexico

Curp: DOXJ990101HNE?H16
Or DOXJ990101HNE?H99

Do for Doe
X for no second last name
J for John
990101 for date of birth year, month, day
H for hombre, M for mujer
NE for nacido extranjero
? This should be second consonant in last name, I don't know what they do in the case of Doe

H for second consonant in first name
17 or 99 these last two numbers in Mexicans are the year of birth but my year of birth happens to match up with the year my curp was issued (30 years later) so maybe foreigners get a "Mexican birth"?

See http://curp-gob.com/curp/ayuda/curp-elementos-del-curp/ to confirm I know my stuff.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt you will get a CURP just because you need one to access the site. Perhaps they are only interested in hiring Mexicans or people who are already in the country. There should be a general contact number on the University´s website that you could send an inquiry to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: