Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexico universities/adult schools holiday schedule question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsHoffman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Mexico universities/adult schools holiday schedule question Reply with quote

Hello,

I have the opportunity to travel to Mexico during the week of January 2-6. I would like to visit as many adult language schools and universities as possible during that week, to see if meeting with people in person produces any job leads. I don't intend to stay if I get a job, I would go back to the U.S. and get a proper visa first.

I have a TEFL certificate and an M.A. in English, along with a lot of ESL/EFL teaching experience, so I'm hoping that potential employers view me as a good candidate.

That said, I'm worried that many schools will still be on holiday break during the first week of January. For those of you currently teaching in Mexico, what do you think? Is this worth my time or should I pick a different week? The only other option I have right now is December 19-23, but I'm worried that it is too close to the Christmas holiday.

What do you all think?

Thanks for your time,
Heather
Rose Cohen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Heather,

In my opinion it would be a bad week. Most schools are on vacation till January 6, and sometimes later than that. The December dates you mention are also not a good idea, since the entire country will be on vacation by then!
MsHoffman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick response. I'll figure out another week I can go. I don't suppose late November is a good idea? It's Thanksgiving here but perhaps not that big a deal in Mexico... I could move my trip to November 21-25 pretty easily. What do you think?

Thanks again,
Heather
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanksgiving is not any sort of a deal in Mexico.

Late fall is hard though because Mexicas aren't really great at planning ahead (some try but it's a hard stream to swim against) so they won't likely know of future openings.

But if the point is for you to see places and meet people that week would be fine.
MsHoffman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Best time to go to Mexico for job hunting? Reply with quote

Ah, thank you. This is really helpful.

So in your opinion, when is the best month to go? When do universities and adult/business English schools do most of their hiring?

Thanks,
Heather
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best time to go to Mexico for job hunting? Reply with quote

MsHoffman wrote:
Ah, thank you. This is really helpful.

So in your opinion, when is the best month to go? When do universities and adult/business English schools do most of their hiring?

Thanks,
Heather

Two totally separate animals. Language schools are hiring most of the time, with the exception of December and into a bit of January, and around Easter. People leave all the time, so new people are needed. Universities usually have needs that are more set on the school year pattern, so hiring tends to be more concentrated and may happen a little further in advance than with a language school - they will often place an ad as soon as they need someone and hire the first person that fits their needs, more or less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: