Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Avoid SESP for Now - Insiders Account
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaabFanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Avoid SESP for Now - Insiders Account Reply with quote

Best advice for those considering working for SESP is to give it a wide berth at this time.

[Second best advice is to grab some popcorn and copy and paste this and share with others]

To even first consider a job in Saudi, one should at least be assured that (a) their salary will be paid and (b) their vacations will be respected. You don’t have either of these “guarantees” at SESP at present and the darker side shows that you can’t even be assured of your safety.

Two years ago, workers found a company with a mature and rather well-respected Saudi Managing Director, a Machiavellian but mostly competent American Human Resources manager(PW) , and a third Saudi manager that largely operated as a “third wheel” (Dr. K).

Then the mostly respected Saudi Managing Director exited the company, the third wheel, Dr. K., took his place, a new HR Manager, “M.A.”, was appointed (due to Saudization), and the American Human Resources Manager, PW, became a “Senior Consultant”.

This is when things really started to go to sh*t.

The new Managing Director, Dr. K, lacks maturity and an even temperament. He rules through fear and intimidation. He advertises, very subtly of course, that his father is a powerful judge, that he has connections within the government, and that when an employee goes to the Ministry of Labor (MOL) that the company sees this as an act of betrayal and MOD EDIT

What this means is that the company abuses employees with the full knowledge that they can then play the system if the employee then goes to the MOL and opens a case. The company will not attend hearings, which can keep an employee in country without pay for up to 6 months after a complaint is lodged, and even if they lose the case, will try to bribe the adjudicator.

Dr. K is also likely on his way out, which means that there is greater than usual instability within the company. It is “alleged” that he forced one worker to find him a white woman for private lessons at his apartment, and then exiled and terrorized the worker to hide his dirty little secret. It has also been revealed that he lied to a partner and then targeted the employee that he lied about to make them flee the country. Another worker was locked outside of the country because he was about to make an MOL complaint. These are all current complaints with some before the courts.

In addition to this was one manager who was terminated due to an administrative error, another who had his personal social media searched for “offending material”, who was then run out of the company, etc., etc. Basically, these were pretenses to steal end of service benefits of the most highly paid workers. All occurred within the past 3-4 months when the company was wiping out middle managers by targeted firings followed by promoting from below…with NO salary increase to those who were “promoted”.

Now to speak about the other person who would have FULL CONTROL over your life, we need to talk about the Human Resources Manager, “M.A.”. He is an incompetent stooge and was only promoted because of Saudization. He is a real piece of work, and is a direct threat to all. Like Stalin’s “Boody Dwarf”, this man will follow orders to target workers with a special glee. He will lie, threaten, and actually laugh in your face and taunt you to go to the MOL if there is a problem. And he knows there is a problem because it is originating from him and/or the company.

One special word of advice regarding this man; do not be caught in a room alone with him.

You might find yourself at the end of probing questions about where you spend your off time, find that he insists that you immediately (in the actual meeting) add him to Whatsapp under the pretense of sending you official company documents that you requested (“because it is easier”), and then spends and inordinate amount of time after business has concluded holding you in the room to compliment you on “your voice” (“oh, your voice…like an actors…hmmm yes…yes…but I can’t think who…like an actors…”)

Long story short is, once you find yourself in this situation, you are DONE. If you don’t respond as hoped, you will be personally targeted. He will make your life hell, and there is NOTHING you can do about it. To even report such behavior in that country will put your safety in general and ruin your reputation by negative association. He will also call you and say personal things, but of course that can’t be proved (how convenient).

The person that he took a “special interest” in was then targeted…of course to bury the dirty laundry. Ultimately he was forced out of the country soon after he finished his contract when “M.A.” called him and threatened that he was going to report him to Immigration for “refusing to leave the country”. Compounded with the fact that the company was refusing to pay this workers last month’s salary and end of service benefit until they were sure he would leave, the writing was on the wall – get out to avoid possible jailing on a trumped up Immigration charge.

And so that’s just another aspect of what is also happening at this company at present. A few people in powerful positions are using their positions and (immense) power to try to satisfy their own little predilections and then targeting people to keep their misdeeds from seeing the light of day. This is the current (not past) pattern.
Personally, I think that it is best to stay away from this company until both the Managing Director and Head of Human Resources are given their walking papers and there is a properly functioning senior administration in place.

No amount of money will matter if you are trapped in the country due to a case opened up against YOU with the MOL. Yes, surreally, the company is even now opening cases against workers now, they are that bold and sure of their power- then they don’t show up for hearings! The money won’t matter if you are fired for a trivial reason. The money won’t matter if you don’t actually see the money (i.e. withheld salary and/or end of service benefits). And the money won’t mean a bloody thing if you are put in jail because the company has reported you to immigration and had you locked up!

Oh, and why has there been no mention of the “Senior Consultant”, PW? Because it looks like he is gone. Many see that as a good thing, but he was also the only person who could get things done. Now everyone is left only with Dr. K and “M.A.”

I am now free of the country with no intention to ever return, and so can SAFELY report the state of affairs at SESP. I hope this has helped someone.

Last edited by SaabFanatic on Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Balzac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Avoid SESP for Now - Insiders Account Reply with quote

SaabFanatic wrote:
Oh, and why has there been no mention of the “Senior Consultant”, PW? Because it looks like he is gone. Many see that as a good thing, but he was also the only person who could get things done. Now everyone is left only with Dr. K and “M”

I am now free of the country with no intention to ever return, and so can SAFELY report the state of affairs at SESP. I hope this has helped someone.

Wow. Quite a story. I had a really good offer there to start last year before all this chicanery. I am so glad I am not there now. I remember PW and he seemed ok if a little plastic.

B
I-forgot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I am unsurprised.
Balzac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: SESP salaries - then and now Reply with quote

Whatever happened to the Canuck manager in Riyadh?
SaabFanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Avoid SESP for Now - Insiders Account Reply with quote

Quote:

Wow. Quite a story. I had a really good offer there to start last year before all this chicanery. I am so glad I am not there now. I remember PW and he seemed ok if a little plastic.

It is only a very small part of the story as well.

Some other points that can be included is:

1. SESP has a history of preventing employees from seeking treatment for even serious medical issues outside of the Kingdom.

They will just ignore sick leave requests. They can't refuse them, so instead they will just ignore them.

If an employee then goes to the MOL, SESP will retaliate. Retaliation takes many forms.

They will play games such as issue a "semi-valid" Multiple Re-Entry Visa.

For example, they will send the targeted worker a scanned copy of a Multiple Reentry Visa missing the company stamp at the last possible moment. Then they will ignore your request for a stamped hard copy.

Yes, Immigration can let you through with just what was provided, but by law they don't have to. It clearly states that ton the form itself that the Multiple Re-Entry Visa is invalid without the company stamp on the form.

Enjoy laying awake at nights with a serious medical issue wondering if you will be able to make your medical appointment scheduled 3 days later in Dubai!

The company might also retaliate by making you get a sick leave note for a single sick day. That is not the company policy and does not apply to others, but they will apply it to YOU.

Inquire as to what the policy is and they will tell you, "It has not changed. Now provide a sick note."

They will then deduct a days pay if your don't.

Want to go complain to the MOL?

SESP will then DEDUCT a day of pay for that!

They just don't give a MOD EDIT...NEXT ONE SEES YOU PERMANENTLY BANNED. It is all rigged in their favor. They laugh at the system, and even if you win after 6 months trapped in the country...they still won. It is quite mentally trying to be in Saudi at the best of times with full days of work (the best part of the day for many) and money coming in. Try doing it on ice with a case hanging over your head and being stuck in the country until it is fully resolved.

Just as likely the company will try to pay off the adjudicator as well. Then you will lose your case and your time.

Is this speculation on my part? No. It was told directly to me by a close coworker/friend. And the ADJUDICATOR told them....

Also now within the company,

2. There is little room for advancement

With a layer of management effectively wiped out due to "restructuring", there is very little room to advance.

Even if you do advance...

3. Advancement within SESP is the kiss of death.

I think only 1 manager (HoD leve) lasted more than a year. For that one manager, another 6-8 (by estimate) cycled through. 90% of the staff turned over at my work location and every single manager that was there 6 months ago is now GONE.

4. Even if you complete your contract, SESP might not give you evidence that you were employed by them!

More people than not did NOT get a Certificate of Employment from them before they left the country...despite their best efforts!

This means that any time that you spend at SESP might end u being official dead time on your CV.

That can result in lose job opportunities or lesser pay within a new company. They don't care what you SAY, they want PROOF. SESP will usually not provide this proof.

SESP will also usually refuse to provide a No Objection Certificate (NOC) if asked. This is no longer required by law, but some companies do ask for it.

Think that you will start at SESP and then move onto Aramco? When Aramco asks for an NOC...meet the wall.

So SESP is not just unsafe at the moment, but it is a professional dead end in many respects as well.

Well at least you have your vacations right? Maybe, maybe not.

Vacations at one center were cancelled. The majority of staff lost their tickets and booked hotels. The way that it was cancelled was deplorable as well.

All staff were called into a room. The Hod was forced to "make a list".

HoD: The vacation has been cancelled. Who will "yes" remain to work?
Who will, "no" not remain?
Staff: WTF? What does that mean?
HoD: I'm sorry. I just need to provide a list with 2 columns and names under each. I don't know what will happen after.

Threats. Intimidations. Targetting. Retribution. A. Totally. Toxic. Environment.

And the money is nothing special now.

I just can't stress enough how toxic the place is now.

At one time, the company might *beep* over a worker who did not fulfill the terms of the contract and gave notice to leave early. Ok, I get that on a level...even though that is the workers right within the terms of the contract.

Now the company has taken to threatening workers who have FINISHED their contracts and dare to leave! They threaten them with blacklisting within the Kingdom, intimate the power that they have through the government, the courts, etc.

It is just completely insane and unhealthy. But it is everyone's right to do it. I would just like to inform people and say that as a very money orientated person...it completely fails in any sort of sane cost benefit analysis.

Regarding the Canuck manager, I hope he reads this and updates everyone.

Regarding PW, he is a very charming and dangerous man. He ran the company like an intelligence agency with him being the spy chief. He had his hand in installing everyone. Everyone was a chess piece. Everyone was judged according to their utility.

If you were an "asset", he would remember your favorite color and your birthday. If you were no longer needed, he would literally within weeks, forget your name.

For those that really know the inner workings of SESP...."PW was SESP and SESP was PW"

Dr. K was his stooge. PW even had complete access to his email account and replied to everyone as if he were Dr. K. It was comical.

Then when he helped to drop Dr. K in the sh*t, he exited stage left.

Now Dr. K is left with the trouble he got himself in, the trouble that PW got him in (which to be fair might be less than the trouble he got him out of), and also the trouble that his minion "M" has caused on his own and as a result of "just following orders."

It is entertainment to share info about PW, but I want to focus on the live rats and not the dead ones.

Dr. K and "M" have some 'splaining to do. The bosses are looking into them. Partners are aware of their misdeeds.

Tick tock.
Leno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD edit
SaabFanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^

Hi Leno, could you please re-share what you wrote with the board, so that it passes a mod-check.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I saw... no version will pass the test. It had little or nothing to do with the employer.

VS
SaabFanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^

My curiosity is in overdrive.

And honestly, I expected more comments on the thread and perhaps people still within the company to jump in to vouch for what I am saying, but there are three (IMO) possible strands of thought (or more of course!) which might help to explain things.

1. The people within the company rarely ever posted when times were "good" (i.e. at least better and extremely profitable at least) as no reason to let others in on one of the best (at the time) deals in the Kingdom and now...

2. The people currently remaining within the company are in fear.

Fear of things getting worse and also fear of things simply not getting better. My post will hurt recruitment, and with almost 40 trainees (yes 40!) to a class in one particular center at least...they could use some reinforcements.

I'd like to assure any former coworkers that I am not trying to hurt them by exposing the inner workings of this company. It is in a pitiable state.

I am trying to expose the machinations and abuses which are occurring at the hands of the Managing Director, Dr. K and the Head of Human Resources, (now the main recruiter since PW has left the building!)...M. A.

When they are gone, the company can hopefully bounce back and the many good people can breathe again. The people that just want to do good work and live their lives.

Honestly, the workers currently within company are in a bad spot.

It is insane (IMO) to join the SESP now, yet it makes perfect sense for those who are currently working there under the radar to milk things as long as they can.

If they are "coasting" until now (or at least not currently targeted), they should be okay. Things are most likely to get bad nearing end of their contract.

As with flying, it is the takeoffs and landings that are the most dangerous.

And,

3. Those that have recently left the company are in various states of shock, recovery, consultations (with lawyers and each other Smile, and complaints!

Official letters are being written (in both English and professionally translated Arabic) to the various boards, plans are being made for websites, and the "company" (i.e. Dr. K and M.A.) are furiously trying to engage in payoffs, settle cases, and make THEIR PROBLEMS go away with COMPANY MONEY.

It is unlikely to work, but it is fun to watch them try to dig their way out of this hole.

Odds are very likely in this case, that it....won't work.

If they do manage to hold on to their positions, that is probably the very best indication that SESP has not (and is not) committed to remedying its internal issues, and that it simply continues to be a place to be avoided.
sirius black

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Just for informational purposes, what is the:

1. housing situation
2. salary
3. academic calendar
4. other benefits?
SaabFanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^

1. Housing Situation

Housing allowance and find your own place or option to forgo whole housing allowance and stay in a faux compound if placed in Jizan. If you opt for the provided housing (i.e faux compound) in Jizan, SESP will keep your whole housing allowance but the provided housing is only worth half to three quarters at best.

Workers are prohibited from dealing directly with the compound management to stay in the "compound" for the market rate. Those who try will be reported to SESP's upper management. The company has one spy on site. He's a fantastic person. He is just following orders and trying to keep his job. Nothing personal.

2. Salary

18,500 to 22,500 ALL IN per month for instructors. This includes salary plus add ons for transport, communications, airfare, etc. You can make slightly more if you get a managerial position, but plan to stay with the company half as long.

The first people to get culled are managers. Why? They are paid more than everyone else...so there is more incentive to fire them and steal their end of service benefits (EOSB). They must also work more closely with the top management, Dr. K, the Managing Director, and "M.A." the Head of Human Resources. Repeated contact with these two ensures eventual targeting and firing.

And it looks as if the "Senior Consultant", P.W. will eventually return as well. He is another kiss of death for anyone who must deal directly (or indirectly) with him. As mentioned before, "PW is SESP and SESP is PW". Once he returns, the company reverts back to him and whatever Managing Director in place will be his stooge. P.W. just sits back and pulls the strings and the Managing Director, ( Dr. K for now), moves like a puppet. The most hilarious part is that the puppet thinks that he controls the puppetmaster.

Seriously, consider any salary offered to be a "projected salary". With Dr. K, M.A., and later P.W. back in the fold...one should not expect to see that salary for the whole duration of their stated contract.

3. Academic Calendar

Different calendars at different centers. Work til you drop at 2 centers at present. At one center, SESP is 6-7 teachers down and almost 40 trainees to a class. Seriously, no one can count on any calendar that they are shown. They also can't count on stated student numbers per class. Any new hire also shouldn't count on any "promised" work location. SESP will likely try to staff by hiring for their "Juaymah center," which is near Bahrain. They will then transfer you upon arrival (classic bait and switch) to the southwest of the country. This is just the facts.

4. Other Benefits?

21 paid days vacation (if they are not taken away from you). And if anyone does decide to take a position at Saudi Electric Services Polytechnic (SESP), there will likely be an unintended benefit for others.

That person will very likely seriously regret that decision and report back and confirm what is being posted here regarding SESP.
Aragon1982

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Best off to avoid this place.... Reply with quote

Well, what can I say? If I was able to go back in time and make the decision not to go I would definitely not go. Let me agree with Saab here, it’s EXACTLY as he said but this time - Mustafa- the HR Manager has got worse, this guy must be related to someone very senior in that company cause if he was a “normal”jo soap- he’d have been fired years ago... this guy is the epitome of the worst person on planet earth to have as a HR manager, he lies, makes up nonsense to appear to be jobs worth, but in fact he’s an absolute joke...

PW never came back since September 2016 anyways..

Dr K has all the titles but no real power and doesn’t appear to get any response or respect from any Saudi staff member.
The institute allows students to cheat and cheat and then offers them the chanc to re-edit the same test they originally thus guaranteeing a satisfactory grading.

The TI and EFL staff are great bunch of guys to work with and I wouldn’t say anything bad about anyone of them, the HoD also a great guy and super nice to work for.

However unfortunately we have to put up with “Mustafa” and this guy once he dislikes you for whatever sick reason he concocts himself he will make your life hell. It’s open season on bullying with this piece of worthless human garbage that he is, he seems immune and immortal to being fired and that he should have been time and time again, but never is...

Once he and Dr K are in cahoots you’re just about better off resigning and leave..

I cannot give anyone a recommendation to,work here, especially if you come all the way from Tennessee...
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Best off to avoid this place.... Reply with quote

Aragon1982 wrote:

The institute allows students to cheat and cheat and then offers them the chanc to re-edit the same test they originally thus guaranteeing a satisfactory grading. ..
Cheating is ubiquitous for every ESL institution in Saudi Arabia. There's no getting away from that. It's also very common in other countries that ESL teachers flock to. Thailand was also pretty bad even in the good schools.
2buckets

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But teacher, I'm just helping my friend.
Aragon1982

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, I won’t cheat again...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: