Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vinnell Aviation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waltgomez

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Vinnell Aviation Reply with quote

The thoughts below are an opinion of the poster based on the poster's observations. Another person can have a completely different opinion/impression of the place.

If you are offered a job by Vinnell and are assigned to Vinnell Aviation, here are some things to keep in mind:

1) It is run very much like a military operation, hence you will be expected to look and act like a military person or, at least, like a clean-cut Mormon type. Or, if you can remember a movie about life inside a submarine and the people that work in there- that's the kind of people that succeed at Vinnell Aviation.

One person got seriously reprimanded for such small things as loose shoe laces and a belt bag. A tiny little glitch in appearance or improper communication can cost you your job. The manager's power is absolute. He can just fire you at a moment's notice without giving you any explanation.

2) It is run by younger CELTA-type teachers ( 30ies), and many of the employees are older ( 40ies- 60ies) with MA's and even PhD's.

3) Observations are weekly, with forms and reports and follow-up counseling. Even if you have a PhD in TESL, you will still be treated as a CELTA "practicumer".

4) The teachers are expected to use course books as little as possible, but instead, create or find " adapted materials". Thus, even though you are given books, you are basically expected to teach from something that you need to prepare every day; not so much from the books.

The good things: Vinnell, in general, is very efficient at getting you all the documents for the job, very slick with medical tests, bank accounts, etc.; the location is quiet, the Internet connection is pretty good, the lab facilities are very modern. The food is American.

If you think you can handle it, then go ahead; the money is good- some $4500 after tax. However, it is very stressful, and the greatest emphasis is on maintaining spotless military appearance. The younger management treats the employees as military subordinates.

If you are more of a college/creative type, then do yourself a favor and look for a job in a university environment. You don't want to go thru the hiring process and then lose that job because you did not look and act like a neat airman.

Last edited by waltgomez on Fri May 04, 2018 11:40 am; edited 2 times in total
hash

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Vinnell Aviation Reply with quote

waltgomez wrote:

1) It is run very much like a military operation.......

I worked at Vinnell in the ‘70s – the 1970s that is – which is technically in the last century. From your report here, I see that nothing much has changed. Actually, you seem to have had it better since in my day, we were “issued” regulation “clothing” and “gear” and had to wear it every time we “taught”.

Long-time readers to this forum will not be surprised by what you report here. Vinnell, along with the other “military” gigs in the Kingdom, has long been known to be among the most difficult ESL jobs around and among the least satisfying from a “professional” (ESL) point of view….. (and therefore, among the better paid….you get what you sweat for). It has often made cameo appearances on ESL forums and the comments have invariably been negative.

But in my opinion, Vinnell (and his brothers) have gotten a bad rap – or rather, an unfair rap.

From day one, from the first contact an ESLer may have with the company, Vinnell makes no bones about what its mission is and what its nature consists of. (One of its most ballyhooed enticements to accept the job is to inform you of the many opportunities you will have to visit "Thailand". They go on and on about this).

Even going in with half-open eyes, an ESLer should be under no illusions what he’s getting into and what type of “personnel” most of his co-workers will be like. I mean, what does he expect? Tree-hugging graduates of Bryn Mawr, Swathmore or Bennington? (BM’s graduate school is coeducational).

Vinnell is run like a military operation because guess what, that’s what it is. It’s contractually obligated to train the SANG (KSA National Guard) to be an effective fighting force. For all intents and purposes, you might say, it’s the West Point of KSA, love it or leave it.

Vinnell has never wanted the ESL unit in its midst precisely because it knew the kind of employee it would get. However, as in so many places, this kind of training was forced down its throats and they had to go along with it (if they wanted the contract)….but they’ve always been unhappy with it. It’s like having the proverbial elephant in a china shop…the two just don’t mix.

Nevertheless, I’ve always said and continue to say that as a first ESL job in KSA, there’s no better “training” for an ESLer than one of the military gigs that still exist….Raytheon, Vinnell, BAE (for the Brits) and a few others. After a couple of years teaching in one of these, SESP and anything it can throw at you, will feel like a tea party.

Finally, just remember that you’re not there to “teach”. You’re there to train and to keep ‘em off the streets. If you do get something academic across to your classes, more power to you….but that’s not your real mission. If you can accept such a mind-set, you should have no trouble completing your contract. (Strangely, that’s what a high school principal in San Pedro, California once told me upon my accepting a job offer)
revilo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: San Pedro? Reply with quote

You taught in San Pedro?

My condolences. Wink
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was anyone else waiting for the above message to self destruct?
waltgomez

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinnell Aviation Reply with quote

Quote:
Nevertheless, I’ve always said and continue to say that as a first ESL job in KSA, there’s no better “training” for an ESLer than one of the military gigs that still exist….Raytheon, Vinnell, BAE (for the Brits) and a few others. After a couple of years teaching in one of these, SESP and anything it can throw at you, will feel like a tea party

That's provided you will survive the former and can hold down the job for " a couple of years". Some guys get fired from the former ones within the first months - if they don't get approved by the managers.

Plus, the "tea parties" may have other problems, such as disorganization and middle east- style management- delays, mistakes, broken promises, lies, latenesses, omissions, etc.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Vinnell and some of its EFLers and military types from my time in KSA. Big bucks but there is a price to pay for that.
Even though they had big salaries some of them took moonlighting evening jobs at ELS and Larsen-Nielsen (LANSA).
SaabFanatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinnell Aviation Reply with quote

Quote:
Nevertheless, I’ve always said and continue to say that as a first ESL job in KSA, there’s no better “training” for an ESLer than one of the military gigs that still exist….Raytheon, Vinnell, BAE (for the Brits) and a few others. After a couple of years teaching in one of these, SESP and anything it can throw at you, will feel like a tea party.

I just gave a current rundown on SESP in a new thread.

Here is the link: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=115076

Some of the things that SESP can (and does) throw at people now can not be recovered from.

As an example, SESP locked two first-timer South Africans out of the country in April when they went to "renew their business visas" in Bahrain.

In that case, SESP:

(a) let them leave the country to "renew their business visas" with only a single bag each for the (supposedly) same day round trip

(b) refused to help them back into the Kingdom after they were denied re-entry by Immigration, and then

(c) completely ignored them even after they returned home to South
Africa two days later with only the clothes on their backs!

SESP never even made an effort to help them recover their things that were left in Saudi Arabia...

And these are not the only ones. Even those with Iqamas have been INTENTIONALLY locked out of the Kingdom by SESP as recently as a month and a half ago.

IMO, a position at SESP should not currently be a real consideration for anyone, but I would especially advise first timers to avoid the company like the plague.

At least until the current Managing Director, Dr. K, and Head of Human Resources, M. A., are replaced.
sammysez

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Live Fire? What did this happen? Reply with quote

I also see the Vinnell post, however, I noticed the "LIVE FIRE" video and we're not talking about the fire department here.

It doesn't say, but where and when was/is this??

Is this where we would be living if we work there?
shfranke

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Posted question abt SANG Live Fire Training. Vinnell Arabia Reply with quote

Greetings.

Ref the question posted in this thread about where SANG units conduct live fire training (with Vinnell Arabia trainers-"safeties" and/or U.S. Army OPM SANG military advisors discreetly also present).

Almost all of such live fire training is conducted in the expansive maneuver and firing range area inside SANG's military complex / military city in the Khashem al-An area of Riyadh. That controlled-access maneuver & firing area is reached by ascending a winding road into a broad valley. Went there many times as Observer-Controller/Trainer (OC/T), mostly to assess mech infantry units moving across the exercise area, with live fire shooting (field artillery pieces, towed Vulcan AA guns and TOW missiles) done some safe distance away.

Don't know if Vinnell Arabia's ESL programs have been expanded to include ESP in aviation-related subjects, or whether the sub-contractor which supports SANG Aviation Command with the technical / maintenance / aircrew training to SANGers also operates a parallel "stand alone" ESP program specific to that "business" of tactical aviation.

When I worked for VA (Chief Trainer for Intelligence, CT/SF/ISO, not ESL), one of the two guys who shared our villa was a ESL instructor.

He clarified that VA then taught only a prep course (i.e. "teach to the test," versus develop all-around fluency) focused on features of DLIELC's American Language Course. The purpose was to enable SANGers to achieve sufficient ECL test scores so they could then attend the longer ALC resident program at DLILEC at Lackland AFB in San Antonio, TX, after which graduates would attend "follow-on- training" ("FOT" in "DLIELC-speak") at their respective U.S. Army military schools elsewhere.

FYI, another apparently-emerging field of opportunities for US-origin ESL teachers is the Ministry of Interior (MOI).

MOI's force structure includes a (ahem) diverse bunch of paramilitary units, such as Border Guard Force, Special Security Force, Special Emergency Force, Facilities Security Force, National Police/aka Public Safety Force), et al. Since the visit to KSA by Pres Trump last May, MOI is expanding and increasing interest in topics involving the ability of MOI personnel to communicate in "U.S. Military English." At least two U.S. major / prime contractors resident in the kingdom now support the MOI; can provide limited available details on request to me at [ mutarjm (at) aol [dot] com ].

Hope this helps. Today is Saturday, Dec 2, 2017.
Regards, Stephen H. Franke, San Pedro, California
General Incompetence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinnell Aviation Reply with quote

waltgomez wrote:

2) It is run by younger CELTA teachers ( 30ies), and many of the employees are older ( 40ies- 60ies) with MA's and even PhD's.
3) Observations are weekly, with forms and reports and follow-up counseling. Even if you have a PhD in TESL, you will still be treated as a CELTA "practicumer".
4) The teachers are expected to use course books as little as possible, but instead, create or find " adapted materials". Thus, even though you are given books, you are basically expected to teach from something that you need to prepare every day; not so much from the books.

This is typical in the region. Largely, the students are taught through immersion and CELTA style lessons are not practical for the same group 6 times a day. The DLI program is based on the DLI course books. The further the teacher deviates from the course books, the less likely the students are to pass the corresponding DLI level test. The weekly observations sounds like a way to manage through fear, which doesn't work well either. Generally, the CELTA/DELTA communicative approach doesn't work well with Arabian students. These TEFLologists can get quite threatened by teachers who actually get results in the test scores with other strategies.
AbeCross

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Riyadh? Reply with quote

Is this thread about the main EFL institute in Riyadh? Or is Vinnell Aviation just one of a number of departments? There is another Vinnell thread here and I am trying to determine if it is the same outfit.
Weekly observations and 30-something CELTA-holders as managers sounds pretty bad!
Charlie123

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Riyadh? Reply with quote

AbeCross wrote:
Is this thread about the main EFL institute in Riyadh? Or is Vinnell Aviation just one of a number of departments? There is another Vinnell thread here and I am trying to determine if it is the same outfit.
Weekly observations and 30-something CELTA-holders as managers sounds pretty bad!

There is Aviation and ground. they are both hideous in their own special way.

Ground has two older managers and one 30 something. The oldest guy has an unbelievable combover. I think he has an obsessive-compulsive disorder. He washes his hands at least 20 times a day. Maybe more. I often got a queazy feeling in the pit of my stomach when speaking to him. Unbelievably creepy guy, and it is hard to figure out what he is doing there.

The other guy older guy is kind of a sad, misfit alcoholic type. He is often pleasant but very insecure and has a tendency to lash out. The younger guy is the best of them but definitely a backstabber.

I call them Winky, Blinky and Twinkie. If you take a job there, you won't have much trouble figuring out which is which. All of them are completely spineless individuals.

As far as observations, they are often daily -- perhaps several times a day. Keep in mind that the individuals observing you are not professionals. they are looking for write-up material. Write-ups are frequent totally ridiculous. ("Your students aren't speaking enough in class. Get your students to speak more.")
revilo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Sounds like IPA Reply with quote

"As far as observations, they are often daily -- perhaps several times a day. Keep in mind that the individuals observing you are not professionals. they are looking for write-up material." Except observations are limited to once a week since they only have 1 guy to observe.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sounds like IPA Reply with quote

revilo wrote:
"As far as observations, they are often daily -- perhaps several times a day. Keep in mind that the individuals observing you are not professionals. they are looking for write-up material." Except observations are limited to once a week since they only have 1 guy to observe.

Can't speak for Aviation cuz I wuz ground, but when I was there, any number of people could come in any number of times a day. Mostly Winky and Blinky but sometimes the principal trainer, Mister Rough-and-Tough. Occasionally, Saudis also observed, including General Turki.

However, management were not the only ones looking over you. Ever hear about "Kapos" in the German concentration camps in WW2? They were the Jewish prisoners that got special treatment by the SS by turning against their fellow prisoners in places like Auschwitz, Dachau and Treblinka. It works the same way with the existing staff there. The Kapos at Vinnell are worse than Winky, Blinky, Twinkie and Mister Rough-and-Tough.

Two of them in particular -- I'll call them Dirty Sanchez and the Cleveland Steamer, were all too happy to play Kapo. Generally the guys that re-signed were the worst of the lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: