Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

clarification on L to Z visa (many years since I did this)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brnrd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: clarification on L to Z visa (many years since I did this) Reply with quote

I apologize if it's a repetitious posting,hopefully my inquiry is nuanced.

I have been out of China 3 years,and before that I was using my wife's (ex-wife now) connection to get a Z visa, before 2008 I was on F visa's as many at the British Council were doing so in 2001 when I became an IELTS Examiner, and the years before that I got Z-visas ,but it was simple and strait forward.Most of my time was in Beijing,but last 4 years Hebei area.

Now, there's attesting of degrees, criminal checks yada..yada..

I sent all my docs to a guy who's representing a school down in Zhengzhou.I had everything done to go back to my old job,but my elderly father had a medical setback,and I had to pull out of returning to China last March,though all procedures were finalized (See above this paragraph)
Below is the guy's last email to me:

"It would be good if you can apply for a L-visa in your country in order to come to the school. And then going to Hong Kong with a invitation letter from our branch school for your Z-visa in November. So I assume the best day to arrive at Zhengzhou is around October 24th."

I haven't worked in 3.5 years(taking care of dad 86),and I have enough cash to cover flight, and last till my first pay....but if the above is LEGAL...No,man! I stayed at Chungking Mansions years ago,it was a freak,but I'm now 53 years old(dinosaur),and not too much into freaky fly-by-the-seat-of-my A$$

With all the changes etc...is that even legal? The last I knew, it was NOT legal...and,it is asking me to incur a lot of risk,no? And/or financial cost.No it's only a mid-paying job.

Cheers and peace,
Bernie AKA William W.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also 'Z on arrival' which has come up recently.
Seems to be limited to one or two locations and I'd like to see a lot more anecdotal comment before suggesting it to anyone.
As to the 'HK run' that's equally problematic and on balance I'd suggest keep on shopping for an employer who'll facilitate a Z from your local consulate.
Aim for Spring Semester hire rather than a late start for the September (Fall) semester.
brnrd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Non Sequitur,

"I'd like to see a lot more anecdotal comment before suggesting it to anyone"

Yeah, me too! But I've seen and heard a lot of stuff on this forum from - what's going to happen with HK coming back to China,SARS, Olympics etc.

Cheers and thanks for the feedback!
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: