Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is teaching in China worth it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Symphany

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Is teaching in China worth it? Reply with quote

I've read a lot of information from this board and from other sources on teaching English in China over the years and I've seen a lot out there that says that the pay is really low, generally speaking, but with the right connections you can be paid amounts similar to those at home. That said, I would love to go and teach English in China;the reason being the culture and the experience sounds fascinating. My concern is also whether I would last. I have taught overseas before, for a little over a year in Japan, and I realize China and Japan are two different cultures, however I do have overseas experience. I think that would help to live and adjust to life in China. I'm just not sure what to expect. I would also prefer a mid-sized to large-sized city, as I prefer living in an urban environment.
One concern is that if teaching English becomes something that I "outgrow" for one reason or another, are there many other expat job opportunities in China? For example in Japan there were lots of other job opportunities that seemed to open up to seasoned professionals with Japanese experience, like jobs with offshore Western companies, legal firms, publishers, etc. Is it the same for China?
Another concern is that I have a stable job at home and would I be leaving it for something much less comparable? I know that nothing really took my interest like being immersed in a completely different language and culture. The pay again is a concern because I'd like to make enough to retire comfortably on (in a Western country, likely back home in Canada) once my teaching days have come to an end. I know money's always important but there's surviving and there's living. I also would need a contract that would allow me at least two months worth of vacation per year. ( I worked at a company in Japan that only allowed 2 weeks worth of vacation per year and it was a nightmare. )Any thoughts from those in China right now?
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'I would love to go and teach English in China;the reason being the culture and the experience sounds fascinating'

This is the key. Most posts are about money and there's very little about other motivations and satisfactions.
I've tried starting threads on the teaching task and they limp and quickly splutter out. Even the few here who are certificated teachers in international schools seem more interested in telling us how much money they're making rather than sharing insights about the teaching job.
One of the avenues for life here beyond teaching is being a 'local hire' for your diplomatic post. Find the Canadian China representation site and you'll see local hire jobs from time-to-time.
If you got some Chinese ability so much the better.
Local hires are not remunerated at the same level as home country postings who tend to be career diplomats.
A former student works for a foreign consulate and mentions different conditions for home country v local hires. Things like size of airconditioner etc.
Entrpreneurial activity usually means a Chinese partner ie a language school.
Call centre companies advertise for voice coaches from time to time and there's an old thread about 'getting from teaching to entrpreneur'.
I'll bump it if I can locate it.
CNexpatesl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nearly impossible to get a working Z visa these days, and now they're going to start classifying foreigners into categories and only letting people in they deem worthy of living in China.

So, no, it's not worth it anymore.
The bear

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNexpatesl wrote:
It's nearly impossible to get a working Z visa these days, and now they're going to start classifying foreigners into categories and only letting people in they deem worthy of living in China.

Nearly impossible to get a Z visa? Where are you hearing that. The requirements may have changed (for better or worse) but to say it's nearly impossible to get a Z visa is wrong.
Symphany

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject: Teaching in China Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your thoughts Non Sequitur, I think you have brought up some very important points. Thank you also for your comments The bear. Thatsforsure I added the avatar a while back so I don't quite remember. I think the picture is from a site like photostock or something like that.

MOD EDIT: IF YOUR AVATAR IS NOT IMMEDIATELY REDUCED TO PRESCRIBED DIMENSIONS, THE TEMPORARY BAN WILL BECOME PERMANENT.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching in China Reply with quote

Symphany wrote:
Thank you very much for your thoughts Non Sequitur, I think you have brought up some very important points. Thank you also for your comments The bear. Thatsforsure I added the avatar a while back so I don't quite remember. I think the picture is from a site like photostock or something like that.

I see that you've given teaching in China a lot of thought since you joined in 2006. That's a good thing.

Have you been teaching in the meantime? If so where and what?
Symphany

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Teaching Reply with quote

OBP, the job that I do is not a teaching one, however I completed a university-level Post-graduate certificate that I took on a part-time basis. It was the equivalent of one year of full-time study. The cerificate course ended with a practicum where I volunteered to teach ESL students. I finished that course a few years ago.
mike w

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's nearly impossible to get a working Z visa these days

That's pure bull!!
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching Reply with quote

Symphany wrote:
OBP, the job that I do is not a teaching one, however I completed a university-level Post-graduate certificate that I took on a part-time basis. It was the equivalent of one year of full-time study. The cerificate course ended with a practicum where I volunteered to teach ESL students. I finished that course a few years ago.

Wait. A post-grad certificate that included a practicum? Did you study in the U.S. or elsewhere?
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'volunteer' and 'China' a dangerous combinasi....
brnrd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1st teaching gig in 1993 paid 1600 RMB(600 in FECs) ,but back then, you went elsewhere for money, China was off the beaten track...China? There were only so many places you were legally allowed to go.Beijing was pretty cool back then.The pay is massively better,and Saudi is massively worse! Korea was good cuz you could work multiple places,and won wasn't devalued...China is one of the better paying places.....NOW!
BruceLeeWannaBe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNexpatesl wrote:

No doubt. In 2013 I was trying to get back to China and they kept on asking for one thing after another. Two weeks at a time they would wait to tell me the next little thing they needed.

I think they like those who are fresh and naive. Those who don't have much experience. Easier to control. Whereas those of us who have been in China for a few years already know alot and some of us may know too much. The more we know, the more we are likely to find ways to improvise around certain situations.

It's not impossible to get a z visa, but it is extremely tough. No matter how qualified you are. It's a control thing.
Tazz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is it extremely difficult to obtain the Z visa? Met 15-20 new arrivals here down in Guangxi,with various qualifications and levels of experience, all being processed for the Z visa with ease........ Confused
Alien abductee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
Where is it extremely difficult to obtain the Z visa? Met 15-20 new arrivals here down in Guangxi,with various qualifications and levels of experience, all being processed for the Z visa with ease........ Confused

Most people get Z visas without any hassle. Three teachers joined our outfit last month and had no trouble either. The people who find it difficult are the ones with a massive chip on their shoulders. See above posters.
Alien abductee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brnrd wrote:
My 1st teaching gig in 1993 paid 1600 RMB(600 in FECs) ,but back then, you went elsewhere for money, China was off the beaten track...China? There were only so many places you were legally allowed to go.Beijing was pretty cool back then.The pay is massively better,and Saudi is massively worse! Korea was good cuz you could work multiple places,and won wasn't devalued...China is one of the better paying places.....NOW!

Life in China must have been very challenging in the 80s and early 90s. Today not so much with more openness and the convenience of the internet. Any comparison between then and now must be like night and day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: