Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for up-to-date info re Brunei

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meyanga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Looking for up-to-date info re Brunei Reply with quote

Good morning everyone,

I'm looking for some advice about my next move and will be very grateful for any advice. I am considering Brunei, but I don't know anyone who has lived or worked there and the posts here are quite old.

I am a British ESL teacher with Trinity Cert and Dip and 17 years teaching experience (I am 41 years old). I am just at the tail end of a PhD in Applied Linguistics which I've been doing by distance through a UK university. I am currently working as Head of English at an international school in Malaysia (not a top one and mostly local teachers) - bit of a career change, but my kids ended up at this school and when my last British Council contract ended, it seemed like a good move. I am a single mum with two kids aged 9 and 11 so any move I make needs to keep their needs as a top priority.

Does anyone know anything about what it is like to work for Education Development Trust or CfBT? I realise that I would need to get a PGCE to work for either of these organisations and that's OK, I can do it by Distance. I have seen the PGCEi (i is for international) by Distance but most PGCEi courses do not have QTS. Does anyone know if CfBT or Education Development Trust or international schools require this. There is a lot of conflicting information. It doesn't seem as straightforward as just assuming that QTS is only relevant for the state sector in England. If anyone knows anything about this it would be great to get some advice.

Thanks and have a lovely Sunday Very Happy
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brunei is a great place to teach English and CfBT to earn good money...my advice is go for it! Good luck Very Happy
meyanga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the encouraging reply EFL Educator. I have written to both organisations, but have yet to hear anything back - do you happen to know if they accept PGCEi without QTS?

Thanks and have a lovely day

Very Happy Very Happy Smile Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyanga wrote:
Thank you for the encouraging reply EFL Educator. I have written to both organisations, but have yet to hear anything back - do you happen to know if they accept PGCEi without QTS?

Ignore EFL Educator. He is a troll at best and often disseminates false information for his own personal reasons.

I was in Brunei in May talking to various departmental deans and school heads. Brunei is suffering. Due to the fall in oil prices there are major cutbacks in all areas and education is no exception.

Most schools (K-12) will require that you are licensed / certified as a teacher regardless of your other qualifications. For that reason, don't expect a reply from CfBT or the Education Trust.
You might get lucky and find one of the international schools who might consider you but more likely they would take a Filipino with a B.Ed, Teacher's License and an 8.0 IELTS at 25% of what it would cost to hire you.

The universities there are also facing staff freezes or cutbacks. I don't expect that to change until the price of oil does a major rebound but you may find a position in your field or as an English teacher at the tertiary level.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto that about EFL Educator's posts. He's likely to tell you how peachy it is teaching in X country, even if it happens to be an active war zone. Razz

Suphanburi's point about Brunei's sagging economy is why I suggested you look at other areas related to linguistics or learning (e.g., speech language pathology, instructional design, or technical writing) in order to be versatile and not limit yourself to TESOL.
meyanga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cannot imagine the kind of life a person must be leading to be a troll. Why? What for? To whose benefit? They don't have better things to do? Can a life really be so meaningless? It's actually deeply disturbing......almost psychotic

I just don't get it Confused Confused

Given that I am relatively 'old' in the game now, if I actually had the time to be able to give constructive advice to people who need it, I certainly would. But I don't. Really struggling to get my head around someone who would actually use precious hours of the day or night to deliver false information to unsuspecting 'victims'. How very, very strange.
SH_Panda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyanga wrote:

I'm currently studying the PGCEi, and one of my course mates is studying it for her school in Brunei. According to her, the PGCEi is highly regarded in Brunei as long as it's backed up by a good CV.
chrisp728

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyanga wrote:
I just cannot imagine the kind of life a person must be leading to be a troll. Why? What for? To whose benefit? They don't have better things to do? Can a life really be so meaningless? It's actually deeply disturbing......almost psychotic

I just don't get it Confused Confused

Given that I am relatively 'old' in the game now, if I actually had the time to be able to give constructive advice to people who need it, I certainly would. But I don't. Really struggling to get my head around someone who would actually use precious hours of the day or night to deliver false information to unsuspecting 'victims'. How very, very strange.

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

I'd have a look at the Diploma in Education and Training (DET, formerly DTLLS). A colleague of mine is doing it: it's cheaper and less work than the PGCEi (and a lot less than the year full-time for the PGCE) and you get QTS at the end of it, unlike the PGCEi. Goodness me that's a lot of capital letters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: