Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Returning home to teach ESL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zbird

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: Returning home to teach ESL? Reply with quote

I have recently accepted an offer to teach in China, and I am doing so with the intent of coming back to the US after a few years (after gaining experience, promotions and certifications) to teach at a language school here in the US.

What I'd like to ask is, is this a sound idea? What is the job market and salary like for ESL teachers in the US? Is it a job with which you can support yourself? I've heard of some teachers who need to teach at more than one school to make ends meet. Will it be hard to come back and find a job as an ESL teacher in the States?

Also, what are the pros and cons of the language school option versus public schools or universities? Would the qualifications required be different (for example, I know that you would need state certification for K-12)? Which leads to the question of whether getting a public school certification after coming back from abroad is a viable idea, or is it unrealistic?
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it before you go back. That is what I did.
I will focus on high school teaching in the US.
Getting certified is not enough, since they expire without passing tests or taking classes. Depends on the state.
zbird

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask why you're focusing on public schools rather than language schools?

Is it possible to get state certification online?
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, online. Public schools pay better.
Pick a state and start looking.

You can take tests overseas. I took one in Tokyo.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zbird wrote:
I have recently accepted an offer to teach in China, and I am doing so with the intent of coming back to the US after a few years (after gaining experience, promotions and certifications) to teach at a language school here in the US.

What I'd like to ask is, is this a sound idea? What is the job market and salary like for ESL teachers in the US? Is it a job with which you can support yourself? I've heard of some teachers who need to teach at more than one school to make ends meet. Will it be hard to come back and find a job as an ESL teacher in the States?

You'll want to take a look at Student slump. Teaching in China will likely net you a better income than TESL in the US.

and zbird wrote:
Also, what are the pros and cons of the language school option versus public schools or universities? Would the qualifications required be different (for example, I know that you would need state certification for K-12)? Which leads to the question of whether getting a public school certification after coming back from abroad is a viable idea, or is it unrealistic?

University IEP's require a TESOL-related MA and university experience, so teaching k-12 is the smarter move. There's a teacher shortage in the US which several teacher-ready programs are addressing by helping prospective teachers get trained and certified. However, depending on your target city, that may mean focusing on one of the STEM subjects rather than ESOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: