Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10% tax on salary for expats?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leno wrote:
Expats/overseas Job applicants choose the city/country where they want to reside, salary range or benefits, etc, not the employer.
Regardless of qualifications, once the contract is signed, both parties must honor the contract.

You truly do live in a fantasy world... that has nothing to do with contractor jobs in KSA.

Leno wrote:
I am not interestd to work in KSA, nor will I recommend anyone to work in KSA, as they do have more than enough foreign-educated citizens in their 20s and 30s.
But, if you are interested to get a job in kSA, I can help you, Veiled.

Good thing you are not - based on the first half of your post.

No thanks... even if I were looking for employment, it wouldn't be in KSA or actually any of the Gulf countries under the current financial crash.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leno wrote:
Expats/overseas Job applicants choose the city/country where they want to reside, salary range or benefits, etc, not the employer.
Regardless of qualifications, once the contract is signed, both parties must honor the contract.

I am not interestd to work in KSA, nor will I recommend anyone to work in KSA, as they do have more than enough foreign-educated citizens in their 20s and 30s.
But, if you are interested to get a job in kSA, I can help you, Veiled.

Are you a recruiter for KSA, Leno?
hash

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leno wrote:
What if the expats carry the money or send money home in other forms? LIke buying gold or etc.

For KSA: If you leave or enter KSA with cash or valuables (gold, jewelry etc) worth SAR 16,000 or more, you have to fill out a form and declare the items.

See:
http://www.customs.gov.sa/sites/sc/en/Passengersguide/Procedures/Documents/Declaration%20Form.pdf

This doesn't mean you can't transport more than SAR16000 in or out....it just means you have to "declare" it. Of course, "declaring" something doesn't necessarily mean it stops there......you'd likely be "questioned" about your horde.

Similar rules apply upon entering or exiting the USA. The limit here is USD10,000. That amount or more being transported in or out of the USA has to be declared (by filling out a form) and again, what happens after that is anybody's guess but no doubt, your name WILL be recorded in some centralized data bank as a "person of interest".

See
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/195/~/currency-and-monetary-instruments---amount-that-can-be-brought-into-or-leave

sicklyman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leno wrote:

only true in your fantasy of what working here is like Leno.

I signed up with a contractor for a major oil company and on the offer I signed was a clause that they would not remove which stated that I could be assigned to any location at any time "as per operational requirements."

In addition, benefits have been cut from what was originally offered in terms of flights, contract terms, overtime hours and leave. All this was done without any consultation with employees despite the fact that they signed up for the original deal.

The face of the Almighty has smiled on me, and I have not come to regret signing that piece of paper. Not so many of my colleagues who now find themselves doing a far less appealing job than they originally agreed to.

You can bet that if this is with a firm whose reputation is unparalleled here, it happens in far less reputable establishments too.

So, if you want to dish out advice, get your facts right Leno.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hash wrote:
SAR 16,000 or more.

correction : SAR 60,000 (see your first link)
hash

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sicklyman wrote:
hash wrote:
SAR 16,000 or more.

correction : SAR 60,000 (see your first link)

You're right......it's SAR 60,000 that would require a "declaration" leaving or coming into KSA.

The $16,000 figure, of course, is the equivalent in USD (SAR60,000 divided by 3.75 = USD16,000). I don't know how I slipped there...I'm usually pretty good at catching those details. Creeping something or other??

It's interesting to note how much more "generous" KSA is compared to the USA. (There's a USD6000.00 difference).

That $10,000 figure, by the way, has been unchanged for at least 20 years......I guess somebody somewhere figures that there has been no change in the VALUE of today's $10,000 as compared to what the value was 20 years ago.
Leno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sicklyman
I saw it here or some where else that some expats were asked to sign a new contract after arrival, or after a probationary period or something like that.
Employment visa application at overseas Saudi embassy requires a copy of a contract ( before entering KSA).

Re: "assign to any location (another city) at any time" is against Saudi labor law, but we all are aware of the fact that the employer would pull that kind of trick when and if he wants someone to quit or to work elsewhere for genuine reason.
If that clause is in your contract, and if you agreed to that, that means you are flexible to work and reside anywhere, and Saudi labor law cant help you.

The employer must give ample time (like 3 months) for a foreign employee to move to a new location, not with 3 days notice.
Or the employer must offer a job at a new town/city upon renewal of a contract.
Sometimes, there could be a valid reason like "an expat must be removed immediately from a work plce due to misconduct". At the same time, that expat has the right to leave the job, or agree to move to a new location.

Just saying that many private business owners/ Saudi employers do not understand their own Saudi labor law, and they dont need law, but expats do for transparency.

But some expats like you are very flexible, some are not/ cant, ( one american woman was crying because she paid for some beauty treatment for 3 months/5k Riyals in advance at speacil discount rate, and she refused to move to another city))and you would sell well in KSA. Flexibility is a must, even it is the abuse of your own rights for the sake of $$$.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leno wrote:
I saw it here or some where else that some expats were asked to sign a new contract after arrival, or after a probationary period or something like that. Employment visa application at overseas Saudi embassy requires a copy of a contract ( before entering KSA).

It's standard practice for expats to sign their work employment contract once they've arrived in country. The contract they were initially provided should be considered a pre-employment or conditional agreement pending approval and issuance of the employment/work visa to enter the kingdom.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leno wrote:
Re: "assign to any location (another city) at any time" is against Saudi labor law

that may be so, but my point still stands. You claimed that it is the employee who chooses whereas in reality in many cases it is the employer and what the law may say can have little bearing on it in many cases.

No, I'm not flexible. I told them that the only place they would successfully be able to transfer me to would be out of the country. I would not work in another location and would leave immediately if forced to do so. So far, they haven't needed to prove that I'm telling the truth.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently located in a place that makes Riyadh look like Amsterdam,

But I LIKE IT......Smile
Super Modal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Good news about tax Reply with quote

http://english.mubasher.info/news/3008222/KSA-not-to-impose-10-tax-on-residents-Official?currentUserCountryCode=SA
Makkah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sicklyman wrote:

No, I'm not flexible. I told them that the only place they would successfully be able to transfer me to would be out of the country. I would not work in another location and would leave immediately.

Yeah, I can just see you holding your contractor and Aramco to ransom. I guess they have you on a special list "not to be disturbed".
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the subject of taxes/fees...

Saudi Arabia’s new expat fees: What will it cost?
Arab News | 23 December 2016
Source: http://www.arabnews.com/node/1028596/saudi-arabia

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia plans to introduce an “expat levy” from 2017, it was confirmed during Thursday’s budget announcement, with charges of up to SR800 per worker to be phased in by 2020.

Companies currently pay a levy of SR200 per month per expat employee, but only for expat employees that exceed the number of Saudi employees. But that will be gradually increased from next year, the government’s “Fiscal Balance Program – Balanced Budget 2020” document shows.

From next year, the levy on expat workers will be gradually revised upwards, providing an additional impetus for employers to hire more Saudis. For companies in which expats do not exceed the number of Saudi or GCC employees, the fee will no longer be waived, but will be charged at a discounted rate.

A fee on dependents of expatriate workers will also be levied. It will commence in July of 2017, in order to minimize impact on families with children enrolled in school. Currently, neither Saudi nationals nor foreign laborers pay income taxes, and this policy will remain in place, the government says.

Here is what the new expat levy will cost:
    In 2017: Dependents of expats will each incur a monthly fee of SR100, from July onwards

In 2018:
    • Dependents of expats will each incur a monthly fee of SR200, from July onwards
    • In companies where the number of foreign employees is equal to or lower than the number of Saudis, a monthly fee of SR300 will apply from January onwards
    • In companies where the number of foreign employees exceeds the number of Saudis, a monthly fee of SR400 will apply from January onwards

In 2019:
    • Dependents of expats will each incur a monthly fee of SR300, from July onwards
    • In companies where the number of foreign employees is equal to or lower than the number of Saudis, a monthly fee of SR500 will apply from January onwards
    • In companies where the number of foreign employees exceeds the number of Saudis, a monthly fee of SR600 will apply from January onwards

In 2020:
    • Dependents of expats will each incur a monthly fee of SR400, from July onwards
    • In companies where the number of foreign employees is equal to or lower than the number of Saudis, a monthly fee of SR700 will apply from January onwards
    • In companies where the number of foreign employees exceeds the number of Saudis, a monthly fee of SR800 will apply from January onwards
No income tax
Saudi Finance Minister Mohammed Al-Jadaan told reporters in Riyadh on Thursday that these fees do not apply to domestic helpers, such as drivers and cleaners, but only to expats working in commercial entities. "There are two kinds of fees, the first is according to the number of family members an expat has in return for utilities used… this minimal amount will increase gradually every year,” the minister said in response to a question from Arab News. “The second is already imposed on companies which employ expat workers; this will increase gradually as well until 2020.” The finance minister ruled out income taxes on Saudi nationals, foreigners or company revenues.

(End of article)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This allows them to use an existing system whereas imposing an "income tax" would require a large bureaucracy to monitor and collect which would be extremely expensive.

What isn't clear is who will pay it. Right now it is paid by employers and I suspect that will remain. But what about when they start to charge for dependents?

It will merely put more downward pressure on pay and benefits...

VS
hash

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

Saudi Arabia plans to introduce an expat levy...

A fee on dependents of expatriate workers will also be levied...

The finance minister ruled out income taxes on Saudi nationals, foreigners or company revenues.

"A Rose by any other Name......."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: