Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are my chances in Poland?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oztobeyond

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

Long time no chat. Good to see the later responses were much more positive than some of the former ones Wink

I'll give you an update! I've almost finished my contract here in China. About 6 weeks left! After this, I'm going to head back home for a month or two, and then I'll be perfectly set for a September start in Poland. I can't tell you how excited I will be if I can get myself there Very Happy

I have gotten the impression that the work visa situation isn't the easiest in Poland for Australian citizens. Could anyone lead me in the right direction in terms of researching my visa situation there? Maybe I can work something out. Something tells me I can. One option is to simply obtain a student visa for a course in PL, and then teach Chinese kids online in order to sustain myself. Uni is really cheap there, right? ;D

Any tips?
Oztobeyond

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest dragonpiwo, I've been in touch with schools, teachers and residents in Wroclaw, and I simply haven't gotten the impression that there's a dearth of teaching work at all. The impression I get is there's plenty of work, indeed that there's a severe lack of native-speaking teachers for the demand, and the only issue is the visa situation.

I really see no need for your undue negativity. I'm not sure if you guys are trying to create an artificial scarcity of teachers by talking the place down or what, but the only one giving me this message of 'financially tough, unbearable times ahead' are a handful of teachers responding to this post.

I'm not expecting a large salary either, I subsisted on $400 a month in Uzbekistan for 9 months. I'm sure my take home pay won't get any lower than that.

But please, if you're going to be so negative could you at least articulate clearly why? I know for a fact that the demand is there, and the pay seems adequate, and the cost of living seems low.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonpiwo's personal ideas regarding standards of living are significantly higher than what a newbie EFL teacher in Poland can expect to achieve.

If you're ok with starting-out standards, you're probably going to be ok.
Oztobeyond

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
dragonpiwo's personal ideas regarding standards of living are significantly higher than what a newbie EFL teacher in Poland can expect to achieve.

If you're ok with starting-out standards, you're probably going to be ok.

Ok, thank you. Seriously it's a bit much. I am not teaching and travelling in order to secure a phenomenal standard of living. If I wanted to achieve that I wouldn't be travelling and I would have chosen a different career field. As long as my living standard is basic, but decent, it's OK.

So kindly, please, only constructive replies. Thank you,
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

So here's something constructive to help you with your planning.

The year starts in October. Schools close in December for a few weeks. They then close at the beginningof February for 2 weeks (winter break) and then there's an Easter break. The school year ends at the end of June and then that's it until October. So you won't get a full salary at the end of December, the end of February, the end of April and then schools close for 3 months and privates bugger off too.

That means in a 12-month year, the school is closed for almost 5 months. In a full month you may earn 25 lessons x 50PLN minus 20 tax and then ZUS per week. In Poznan, which is similar to Wroclaw pricewise a kawalerka/studio will set you back around 1,500/month. Do the maths. Then factor in savings to get home, medical insurance, net, miscellaneous things like winter coats, medicines, travel passes etc etc etc.

My constructive advice is to take $3,000 with you if you have a job to go to.
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonpiwo has hit the nail on the head there. Whilst I loved my time in Poland, it was almost impossible to save anything.

During the academic year, the schools are closed, because of the endless number of holidays, almost as much as they are open. You will probably do one full month of the year (depending when Easter is), and you will be very, very lucky to find a school that pays holiday pay. Even if you do, there's usually a catch, so beware of the type of contract you sign.

During the course of the academic year (as dragonpiwo said), October to the end of June, you will lose approximately 6 to 6,5 weeks in unpaid and unnecessary holidays. They even close when there isn't a holiday, because the next day may be one and their reason for closing is: "The students won't come." So, for example, I remember one year they closed on Halloween, my busiest day, because 1st November is a holiday. I was livid and vowed then that the schools would no longer get anything out of me for free.

Beware of the Directors who will try and take the p**s. You give them an inch and they'll take the full mile.

Poland is nice and you meet some great people, but don't count on making much money from it, unless you work at about three / four schools simultaneously, weekends and having to do pain-in-the-ass Individuals.

Good luck!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

There's a reason why even long-termers are leaving now. It's a life in which you have to work your ass off and not take holidays and then earn sweet fa. And, that's without thinking about the hassle and expense of visa runs.

I think this guy should aim for Warsaw because the market just 'ain't all that' outside the capital for lots of reasons but mainly the overabundance of teachers, many of whom are willing to work for less than YOU.
Oztobeyond

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have great news! A very reputable school in Wroclaw wants to hire me. The only thing is they are little unsure about the bureaucracy involved with hiring a non-EU citizen. I've done a fair amount research myself, however I really would like as much information as possible for my own peace of mind, and so that I can assist them with the process.

Could anyone with some knowledge or experience with hiring (or being hired?) specifically people from the US, Canada, Aus, NZ, etc (i.e. countries which don't require a Schengen working visa - I think this makes things easier?) possibly send me some advice / information / documents over PM? Even if they're in Polish I'll translate them and have a look.

I'm excited! And I really want to make sure this proceeds as smoothly as possible. I hope to meet some of you in Wroclaw!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: it's all there Reply with quote

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Poland/Poland-Guide/Visas-Permits/Work-permits
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oztobeyond wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have great news! A very reputable school in Wroclaw wants to hire me. The only thing is they are little unsure about the bureaucracy involved with hiring a non-EU citizen.

Are you sure they're reputable? Something seems wrong if they don't know how to deal with this situation...

I've got a very good (and honest) contact in Wrocław if you want to PM me the name of the school - generally speaking, there are alarm bells if they say such a thing. In particular, if it's Berlitz, then they've screwed over several non-EU citizens recently by pretending to have problems with the process.
Oztobeyond

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
Oztobeyond wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have great news! A very reputable school in Wroclaw wants to hire me. The only thing is they are little unsure about the bureaucracy involved with hiring a non-EU citizen.

Are you sure they're reputable? Something seems wrong if they don't know how to deal with this situation...

I've got a very good (and honest) contact in Wrocław if you want to PM me the name of the school - generally speaking, there are alarm bells if they say such a thing. In particular, if it's Berlitz, then they've screwed over several non-EU citizens recently by pretending to have problems with the process.

Hi delphian-domine,

Thanks for that offer. Yeah sure I'd be interested to get in touch. Please PM the name of that school to me.

This school is very reputable I know for a fact (I won't reveal the name here), however their recruitment process seems to be quite drawn out and they are taking a long time to get things going.

Last edited by Oztobeyond on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are probably hiring for a September start and don't feel any urgency. It's pretty rare that any school is going to be running full on through the summer.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Jeez Reply with quote

If it's IH, you'll be visiting the food bank. The salary is appalling.
the_roads_of_poland

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in Wroclaw but kinda out of the game but PM me the name of the school
Oztobeyond

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***EDIT*** - long story short - my time was wasted by a certain school.

I'm really keen to get in touch with employers who will follow through.

Thanks,

Last edited by Oztobeyond on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:29 am; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: