Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work 24hrs a week, for free!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knedliki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Work 24hrs a week, for free! Reply with quote

A recent advert from one of the job websites, any takers?

Come and volunteer in Spain for FREE!
Our non-profit academy is looking for 2 long-term (3 month minimum) volunteer TEFL teachers to come and join us from January 2017, to give English classes to students affected by the economic crisis, as well as help mentor our less experienced TEFL volunteers.
Volunteers will work 4 days per week (Monday to Thursday) for c. 24 hours per week. Free accommodation and monthly stipend provided, but volunteers must pay their own travel into and out of Valencia.
If you want to get some real experience of life as an ESL teacher in Spain, as well as make a difference to our students' lives, we'd love to hear from you!
Qualifications

To apply you MUST have:
1) ONE of the following:
- CELTA / CertTESOL certificate / equivalent
- Minimum of 1 year's experience teaching ESL to adults
2) At least 2 references, 1 of which is directly related to teaching
3) Preferred but not essential: conversational Spanish
[/i]
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volunteering is great, except it won't be included as work experience. With that you lose money in two different ways.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. I'd consider volunteer ESL experience like the advert describes as relevant on a CV, especially for a relative newbie. However, there's a drawback as few supervisors or students will point out areas for improvement for a volunteer teacher, so I'd take such experience with a hefty grain of salt when making hiring decisions.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about those programmes where YOU pay THEM to go and teach ?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not entirely free - you get room and board and a stipend. I would love to live in Spain for a few months, and if I were retired I could totally consider it.
Arenta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
What about those programmes where YOU pay THEM to go and teach ?

They seem to be on the rise too!
Arenta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Work 24hrs a week, for free! Reply with quote

[quote="Knedliki"]A recent advert from one of the job websites, any takers?

I think its exploitation wrapped up in pleasant words tbh, + an attempt to pull on the heartstrings with mention of students affected by the crisis. It would be different if it was geared toward those with NO experience or qualifications or gap students, but it wants a lot for nothing. I wonder how much they charge the poor students affected by the crisis?
uh huh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Work 24 Reply with quote

In the case of this program, the students pay a very modest fee for classes twice a week.
Knedliki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Work 24hrs a week, for free! Reply with quote

[quote="Arenta"]
Knedliki wrote:

I think its exploitation wrapped up in pleasant words tbh, + an attempt to pull on the heartstrings with mention of students affected by the crisis. It would be different if it was geared toward those with NO experience or qualifications or gap students, but it wants a lot for nothing. I wonder how much they charge the poor students affected by the crisis?

I agree with you.

If I was going to volunteer to help migrants it wouldn't be through a private language school. At worst it probably is exploitation, at best, maybe they are just looking for publicity. Or somewhere in between!
I'd be looking at NGOs, church groups, community centres etc..
Arenta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Work 24 Reply with quote

uh huh wrote:
In the case of this program, the students pay a very modest fee for classes twice a week.

The Spanish economy is very weak so that's probably why. Modest fees is also probably why they're asking people to work for free!
Arenta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Work 24hrs a week, for free! Reply with quote

[quote="Knedliki"]
Arenta wrote:
Knedliki wrote:

I agree with you.

If I was going to volunteer to help migrants it wouldn't be through a private language school. At worst it probably is exploitation, at best, maybe they are just looking for publicity. Or somewhere in between!
I'd be looking at NGOs, church groups, community centres etc..

Yes. Not for a for-profit organization.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: