Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laptop advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwtefl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Laptop advice Reply with quote

Hi

I am intending to go abroad this summer for a year and I need to invest in a laptop/notebook - so does anyone have any recommendations ? Obviously weight and size are issues, but I need one to stream. store documents and use MS Office on. Fairly standard !
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would honestly invest in Apple if you have the money. My MacBook is 4 1/2 years old and still running fast. I have an Acer laptop for games and the wireless adaptor is rubbish and it started slowing down within 6 months. Windows updates and virus protection is cumbersome, quite expensive and fairly crap in my opinion.
Trina Marlow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on investing on Apple MacBook or MacAir. You can also check for the latest laptops. I'm always checking on PCMag. http://me.pcmag.com/laptops/237/guide/the-10-best-laptops
winston.smith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Apple vs PC = price vs versatility Reply with quote

If you are not very technical, i.e. knowing what hardware the laptop is based on, 1st gen i7 vs 4th gen i7 vs Atom. The difference between Operating systems cf Applications, Programs & Utilities. Apple's aren't actually any different than PC hardware anymore. They used to be based on Motorola RISC processors, now they're based on the same hardware as PC's, ergo they ARE PC's. The only difference is the user interface. An apple gui over the top of linux (free open source operating system) that is locked down in the extreme, but you can get round that if you know how to use a command line. For this safety you pay a heavy premium, both financially and in terms of how it effects the warranty. But there's nothing to say an ordinary linux (to every extent) or windows (to some extent) to be as safe as an apple. The main difference is the price. Apple products are ALWAYS overpriced. Check the spec for any particular apple laptop and you can pretty much be assured that the equivalent hardware is available in other machines for a lower price. Have a look for Clevo-based machines. Clevo produce very solid base to which high quality machines are built around. XMG is a very good brand based on clevo. The spec is extremely high quality and a hell of a lot cheaper than apple. But if you like apple and don't mind paying over the odds then go for it. More mainstream brands are asus dell and sony. All typically very solid laptops from these guys. Sony especially, though these can be a bit overpriced too, though undoubtedly solid.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider how easy it will be to fix a problem on an Apple machine, compared to a Windows clone. But you posted this eight months ago so you probably already made a decision Rolling Eyes
JohnD47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you have a low budget, why don't you buy a laptop notebook and just add an external drive for additional storage.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Apple vs PC = price vs versatility Reply with quote

winston.smith wrote:
Check the spec for any particular apple laptop and you can pretty much be assured that the equivalent hardware is available in other machines for a lower price. Have a look for Clevo-based machines. Clevo produce very solid base to which high quality machines are built around. XMG is a very good brand based on clevo. The spec is extremely high quality and a hell of a lot cheaper than apple.

For most ordinary consumers, straight up comparing apple specs vs other PCs kind of misses the point IMHO. Software makes a huge difference, both in terms of usability and reliability. There's a reason why apple computers (usually) keep on working well long after many competing PC brands have either died or slowed down so much as to be basically unusable. And yes, there is a premium to be paid for that advantage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: