Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Igama+No Bank Account=Problem Trans Money Trans Money
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
americanjoe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:41 am Post subject: Reply with quote Report Post
If you are on a business visa you do not have an employment contract. Ergo you are not an employee.
-------------------
Geesh, you really are a pedantic person, aren't you?
If you are going to reply to my posts with that attitude, then please do me a favor and...just don't.
You may think so, but you do not know all work situations in KSA, do you?
1. I do have a contract with my contract company.
2. It is for one year's duration.
3. I have health insurance and was given a card through Bupa which is good throughout the Kingdom.
4. I am supplied housing.
5. I am paid a base salary of $4000 USD a month.
6. I make 150 riyals per hour when I work overtime, and I am presently getting 40 hours per month overtime, which, depending on the month, means I make approx. $5800 total a month, which at my age and with my condo paid off and being debt free, means I save the majority of it and then can travel and do the stringer gigs for Jabeen in berlin but that usually costs me money to be honest, as the travel, hiring a fixer etc consumes more than what the articles brig in but I believe the publications do help me stay employed as they seem to like that kind of thing.
I was just flown to Bahrain where we completed the medical/paperwork portion to actually get the igama now, but several teachers prefer the freedom of a multiple entry business visa.
And since you've been here, visa options have changed I think, as they are several teachers on the new 5 year multiple entry visa, so they just come and go as they please, but I think i was told it's like $1000 USD.
And about the Direct Hire ery over working on a Business visa --- I've had three direct hire uni contracts and now it's 2 business visas. It's true, DH is better, but there are drawbacks as well, such as you can't just bail on the contract like a guy is doing here and going to a $6500 a month job as at a high school in qutar, so nothing's sunshine, rainbows and lollypops over here no matter how you cut it. But they are getting better aobu thow they treat you ona business visa than they used to be, and are improving conditions for us where I work.
Sometimes you are paid more, but basically you are in The Suck at some level.
I could go supply more details but choose not to due to who knows who's reading this thing, but where I work at is actually pretty good working conditions and I was given tentative approval on the bedouin article by jabeen so that's keeping me busy visiting the bedouin camps on my days' off with a bedu guy I hired but i'm also using students to develop contacts as they are bedu as well and want to help out their teacher. So, for me, tis place is actually all right.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: re: work visit visa Reply with quote

siologen wrote:
it is not the same as a full work visa surely?

It is NOT a work visa at all, but employers are using it widely to avoid costs and responsibilities. (they can get teachers into the country faster and abuse them at will with no ramifications) Thus far the Saudi government has not hassled teachers on such visas, but that could change.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

americanjoe wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
For those unfamiliar with working via a business/work visit visa, that would be "sponsor," not "employer."

Incorrect.
My sponsor is a contract company.
I am employed by and paid through a university, who also arranged the Enjaz cards.

And yet, you started this thread with...

americanjoe wrote:
So here's/are the problem(s):
1. Business VISA
2. No Igama
3. So none of us can get a bank account

What. Are. We. Going. To. Do?

Plus, it's unclear why you (again) included in your last lengthy comment what you're paid and the perks your sponsor provides for services rendered; it's completely irrelevant in terms of the visa type. The point is, your status is not "employee" --- there isn't a bona fide contractual employee-employer relationship with your Saudi sponsor because you hold a business/work visit visa. Otherwise, you would qualify for an iqama/muqeem and subsequently, a Saudi bank account (and would have avoided the money transfer issue). It's straight forward.

Per the Ministry of Labor (a sticky in this forum):
    Article (33): A non-Saudi may not engage in or be allowed to engage in any work except after obtaining a work permit from the Ministry, according to the form prepared by it for this purpose.
And from the Ministry's Guidebook for Expatriates (also a sticky):
    Part three: residence permit (Iqama) & work license and recruitment costs:
    1- An employer shall issue residence permit (Iqama) & work license for the worker he recruits within 90 days from the date of the worker's arrival at the Kingdom.

siologen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: re: agreed Reply with quote

Quote:
It is NOT a work visa at all, but employers are using it widely to avoid costs and responsibilities.

Agreed, and as you chose to use caps for part of your reply, the key word is VISIT (using my one word in caps!), it would imply one is allowed to visit while looking for work. I am also pretty sure it says on the work visit visa, not permitted to work, or some such official gubbins. Either way, I agree, the only way to do it legally is to work on the proper visa. It's the same as people in China working on business visas, you risk deportation if caught.
americanjoe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not going to go into too many more details, as there appear to be some odd people who are responding here, but my working conditions are pretty good, I'm paid well and I am treated fairly.
And remember, there are what are known as "DHS" (Direct Hire Snobs) but as someone who's worked as both a DH and on a BV, each have pluses and minuses.
And my employer is figuring out solutions to problems as they arrive, so if you are given the opportunity to work here on a BV, do not let people who have never worked on both a BV and as a DH (as I have) discourage you, as you may be passing up a good opportunity on the advice of people who do not know as much as they appear to and who may not have been here for many years or at least haven't been here for the past two years, as things have changed a bit since I worked here in 2009-2010.
siologen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: re: responding Reply with quote

Quote:
as there appear to be some odd people who are responding here

Your right to choose to label people "odd", but other peoples right to respond also, surely?
waltgomez

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My employer said that the company cannot wire salaries into our US/UK/Can account because of some new law passed in October. What does anybody know about such a law?

I worked on a business visa in March-May of this year and my other company wired money into our accounts in home countries. Did anything change?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waltgomez wrote:
My employer said that the company cannot wire salaries into our US/UK/Can account because of some new law passed in October. What does anybody know about such a law?

I worked on a business visa in March-May of this year and my other company wired money into our accounts in home countries. Did anything change?

Possibly, if the following have been implemented:

Quote:
There would also be limits on the amount that an expat can send abroad at any given time. There would also be limit on what expats can transfer abroad if they leave the country. The amounts that would be allowed abroad would be calculated in terms of the income of expats.
Citizens found submitting fake statements of salaries, or transferring money on behalf of workers would also be fined.
Source: http://www.arabnews.com/node/933946/saudi-arabia

If you're still unable to cash your checks because you have a business visit visa, it may be time to ditch this sponsor in favor of a work situation that entails an employment visa/muqeem.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word on the street is that the contractor who is sending teachers to Hafr is paying some teachers as little as 8000 SAR monthly.
americanjoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Word on the street is that the contractor who is sending teachers to Hafr is paying some teachers as little as 8000 SAR monthly."
---------------------
By the way you post I think either you have never worked here, have only worked in a few locations or with under 6 different employers or haven't been over here in a few years as things are changing quickly.
I don't know about where/ what you wrote salary-wise but I'm making a lot more than that.
And FYSA KSA is a large country and there are many, many type of contracts offered, not just countrywide but even among employees within the same company.
I have no insight into hafir where you mention but even in the company I work at the indians are making about 1/3 less than the westerners.
Is that the situation where you are talking about?

Please post the name of the company so posters will have an idea who to avoid.
americanjoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="americanjoe"]"Word on the street is that the contractor who is sending teachers to Hafr is paying some teachers as little as 8000 SAR monthly."
---------------------
By the way you post I think either you have never worked here, have only worked in a few locations or with under 6 different employers or haven't been over here in a few years as things are changing quickly.
I don't know about where/ what you wrote salary-wise but I'm making a lot more than that.
And FYSA KSA is a large country and there are many, many type of contracts offered, not just countrywide but even among employees within the same company.
I have no insight into hafir where you mention but even in the company I work at the indians are making about 1/3 less than the westerners.
Is that the situation where you are talking about?
Please post the name of the company so posters will have an idea who to avoid.

And why am I getting the idea that you are a DHS...?
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe

In one of your earlier posts you wrote "haven't visited them here in Hafir yet"

I took that to mean you were in Hafir Al Batin. (usually transcribed Hafr Al Batin)
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

americanjoe wrote:
And about the Direct Hire ery over working on a Business visa --- I've had three direct hire uni contracts and now it's 2 business visas. It's true, DH is better, but there are drawbacks as well, such as you can't just bail on the contract like a guy is doing here and going to a $6500 a month job as at a high school in qutar, so nothing's sunshine, rainbows and lollypops over here no matter how you cut it. But they are getting better aobu thow they treat you ona business visa than they used to be, and are improving conditions for us where I work.

And remember, there are what are known as "DHS" (Direct Hire Snobs) but as someone who's worked as both a DH and on a BV, each have pluses and minuses.

And my employer is figuring out solutions to problems as they arrive, so if you are given the opportunity to work here on a BV, do not let people who have never worked on both a BV and as a DH (as I have) discourage you.

This banking/money transfer issue has nothing to do with salary levels nor direct-hire situations. There are also Saudi contracting companies that provide employment/work visas to those they legitimately employ. Yet, other companies recruit expats to KSA to work but sponsor them via business visit visas. The latter is problematic in regard to payment as echoed by waltgomez.

Last edited by nomad soul on Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
americanjoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott/ Nomad:

Just out of curiosity, when was your last year of employment in KSA?
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American

I was there
1970-1972
1990-1991
1996-2002
2003-2011

and still have a network of friends and informants toiling away in-kingdom.

I worked in Tabuk, Jeddah, Riyadh, Dhahran and Hafr Al Batin.

While working in the airline I was responsible for testing airline staff in all 24 of the airports in Kingdom - soi I have been around a bit ! Have you ?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: