Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apex Academy Vung Tau

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildgrace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Apex Academy Vung Tau Reply with quote

Anyone have any current info on Apex Academy in Vung Tau? I did a forum search and did not find any current information. Any info or comments would be much appreciated.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just one of many small local language schools that have opened in the past 5 years or so in VT, similar to other towns throughout the nation. I would guess it's no better or worse than any of the other ones

Anything specific you specifically want to know?
wildgrace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: good place to work Reply with quote

Sigmoid, thanks for the reply. I'd like to know if they are an okay place to work for? Pay on time, legal visa, etc.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, wildgrace. For a small town like Vung Tau, it's likely you won't find a lot of information about the local English centers. Most of them are probably pretty new, and not many teachers live and teach in places that size.

Your best bet is to apply, and ask all of these questions in the interview or through email before signing the contract. You can also ask the school to give you the contact information of any of their current teachers.

Vung Tau is a charming little town, which is basically sleepy and dead on weekdays, but gets tons of tourists from Saigon on weekends and holidays. If I wasn't so well established here in Danang, I'd love to live and teach there. So if you're choosing Vung Tau based on the location, you're likely willing to trade some things in order to live where you want.

I'd say you should expect low average pay, but definitely should be able to find a reputable school that will pay on time and provide work permit or at least visa sponsorship.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Your best bet is to apply, and ask all of these questions in the interview or through email before signing the contract. You can also ask the school to give you the contact information of any of their current teachers.

This is great advice. You can get some good info and form a general impression by directly corresponding with schools. The bigger schools mostly have websites these days, where you can see a few photos and get some idea of how professional a school is.

Here are the websites for Apex, which you have undoubetedly seen already.

http://apexstudy.edu.vn/vi/Trang-Chu.aspx

http://apexstudy.edu.vn/en/Home.aspx

I can't really comment with any certainty about this particular school. I believe they've been open 3 or 4 years. Haven't really heard anything either positive or negative about them. My impression is that they're smaller than most competitors but more serious about the quality of teaching.

Anyway, as I said before, they're just one of many language centers that are popping up around town, few of which, if any, offer any kind of full-time contract. Most of the work is paid by the teaching hour the same as many schools in VN. Visas, legal or otherwise, are most often your own responsibility.

Don't think you'll have much trouble getting paid at any of the larger schools. Most people are worried about getting enough hours.

If you are on Facebook, there's an Expats in Vung Tau page, which occasionally has some useful posts and comments. In fact, there are numerous pages for living, teaching, and working in VN and specifically for each major city.

If there's anything else you're wondering about, let us know.
wildgrace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

ExpatLuke, I am interested in Danang, and my research indicates that it would probably be challenging for an ESL newbie teacher to get enough hours. Vung Tau was also on my list, so for now I am focusing my energy there.

Sigmoid, appreciate the heads up on the expat group.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For a small town like Vung Tau, it's likely you won't find a lot of information about the local English centers. Most of them are probably pretty new, and not many teachers live and teach in places that size.

Vung Tau is a charming little town, which is basically sleepy and dead on weekdays, but gets tons of tourists from Saigon on weekends and holidays.

So if you're choosing Vung Tau based on the location, you're likely willing to trade some things in order to live where you want.

Vung Tau is much like ExPatLuke describes it: small and usually quiet with a limited number of schools but also with few teachers due to those factors. The majority of the EFL crew prefer the big cities where they have more work options and can make more money.

VT is developing though (like VN in general) mostly as a result of domestic tourism, oil and fishing, and has most everything you need, just on a smaller scale.

Here is a list of the main schools. Some of them have websites or FB pages. Not necessarily recommending these places, just making a list:

The two big name chain schools are ILA and AMA.

VA Schools
Ky Nguyen
Star Edu
Global Kulture
A Chau
NES
plus a number of smaller ones.

There also Singapore International School if you have the necessary credentials.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: