Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teachers claim dismissals were invalid in suit against Shane

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Transformer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Teachers claim dismissals were invalid in suit against Shane Reply with quote

Two teachers are taking Shane English School to court over unfair and invalid dismissal.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/03/09/national/teachers-claim-dismissals-invalid-suit-shane-english-school/#.WM03RDvyjIU

One teacher had his wage cut, after he'd been working there for nearly 15 years.

Quote:
Beardshall said he joined Shane in 2003 and that he was dismissed as of Dec. 31, 2016, after refusing to sign a contract that included a drastic pay cut.

“Shane decided to cut my salary by two-thirds … yet they know I have a wife and a child,” Beardshall said during a news conference held Thursday at the labor ministry.

That sounds strange. I think he means cut TO about 2/3rds. I worked there a few years ago and the starting wage for a full-timer was 247k a month (though that may have been lowered, I don't know). That guy was obviously on the old pay system which IIRC started on about 250-260k a month, but went up to over 300k a month (maybe 320-330k). It would make sense that he'd been on 330k but that had been cut to about 260k, which is/was the maximum pay for a full-timer.

The second teacher took an unreasonable number of days off to be with his pregnant wife and newborn baby.

Quote:
Cleeve, who joined the company in 2015, was dismissed as of Feb. 28, after the company determined his 24 days of absence to be unreasonable. Cleeve said he told the company in advance that he needed to take days off due to the birth of his child.

Why did they give him 24 days off and then say it was unreasonable? Why not just deny them in the first place if they were unreasonable? That doesn't wash.

Shane occasionally have culls of teachers who've been there too long in their view (5-6+ years), or who they consider to be some sort of a problem. Like all eikaiwa, they look for any excuse to get rid of old-timers or "problem teachers" and get a fresh, cheap, naive newbie off the boat. Having said that, working at a place like Shane for more than 5 or 6 years is kind of sad, so maybe, in a certain way, they're doing them a favour.
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why they are called Shame.
The union is helping these two teachers.
The Transformer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they're successful.

They're basically just looking for excuses to dump people so they can keep their wage bill down. I knew of instructors there who were canned after they'd been there over 5 years, or given an ultimatum that to get a new contract, they'd have to go for a promotion, or a further teaching qualification like the TEFL Certificate or Diploma which they administer.

I'd imagine that, from now on, with the new law about companies having to keep renewing contracts after you've been with a company for 5 years, they'll be canning people BEFORE they reach 5 years with them.

I do wonder what reason they've given for reducing that guy's wage like that. That sounds very dodgy.

One guy I knew who'd been there 7 years quit his job with less than the required two calendar months notice which the contract stipulates you have to give before quitting, and the manager refused to give him a reference.
mitsui

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More information here: tokyogeneralunion.org
Shakey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
That is why they are called Shame.
The union is helping these two teachers.

Shane is among the worst of the worst. Abusive Japanese staff and gaijin managers. I would never recommend working for Shane.

Shame! Yeah, Shame on Shane!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: