Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginning in HK -what should I be aiming for?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metopia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Beginning in HK -what should I be aiming for? Reply with quote

I'm looking at ESL job prospects in HK and was wondering where to begin.

Quick facts-
-CELTA,
-Bachelors in English Literature,
-Masters (non-ESL)
-10 years' classroom ESL experience in East Asia ranging from kindergarten to university level. Taught for Cambridge exams as well as EAP stuff.

I'm planning on applying for a PNET or SNET position.

From what I've been reading on other posts, I'd increase my chances substantially by being in HK and making connections.

So I'm looking for advice on finding a teaching gig in HK until then.

Ideally, the job would be something like the following

1-classes between 8-15 students
2-aged between 8 and 80
3-intermediate level and above
4-conversation, general English, light prep, very light marking and admin
5-fewer than 20 contact hours a week
6-Salary 25000+

Evaluate, dismantle, laugh at or nod in agreement with any of the above!
Jmbf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there are teaching jobs which fit most of your requirements but they are relatively rare.

For example I have a friend who used to teach English oral classes part-time at a local primary school, I think it was 4 teaching hours per weekday for around 25K. His marking and admin work was fairly light.

Perhaps more importantly, he worked his way up into that position. I think it would be very difficult to drop straight into such a position, especially when applying from overseas. Your chances of finding such a job would be higher if you were physically here and able to knock on doors etc etc.

Otherwise to get that kind of income (25K+) you would be looking at the higher end language centres on a part-time basis. Full-time at a 'regular' language centre or local school would also get you into that salary range but then some of your other requirements (e.g class size, working hours) would fall out of the mix.
metopia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jmbf,

I'd be in HK knocking on doors for my first gig were it not for the suspicion that I'd be broke in no time! Although - I suspect you may have been suggesting that knocking on doors is something I should be doing once I get my first gig there.

From past experience, I know that with a bit of formal and informal networking and a bit of luck, the second year in a new place is when things start taking shape.

For my first year, my bottom line is getting a job that can pay the bills and that gives me enough leisure to make those valuable connections.

Though even this seems like it might be a challenge with HK's cost of living!
Kowloon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1-classes between 8-15 students
2-aged between 8 and 80
3-intermediate level and above
4-conversation, general English, light prep, very light marking and admin
5-fewer than 20 contact hours a week
6-Salary 25000+

I think you will be able to get a mix of these but unlikely to get all of them. Numbers 1, 2, 4ish and 6 combined is possible. However forget about combining 5 and 6 - to get that salary you are looking at 30 contact hours min in a lang centre. Is 3 really that big a deal? I'd wager though that compared to most places the standard is higher in HK so kids above a certain age will have some level of English already.
metopia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of these are really a big deal. .

I just figured it makes sense to put out my ideal situation and see how close to it I could reasonably expect to get.

That in mind, I think I'd be happier if I could sacrifice pay for fewer hours.

I'm happy teaching younger kids at a lower level of English. Not a huge fan of teaching beginner adults, though.

In my first year in a new place I like to take it slowly so I can have time to check out the environment and whatnot.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case look for ELTA/non-EDB NET positions to get started. Check English for Asia, the HK NET page on facebook, the guest forum on West Web, cpjobs etc. Something around 20-23k with around 20-22 contact hours will be possible.

These jobs often hire over the summer for the start of the next academic year and will often only pay on a 10 month contract. Keep your eyes peeled though as positions do pop up time to time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: