Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sending Money Out ( and cashing checks) on a Business Visa
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waltgomez

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Sending Money Out ( and cashing checks) on a Business Visa Reply with quote

In order to send money out of Saudi Arabia, one needs an Iqama. Even at Western Union.

The same, apparently, goes for cashing checks.

Are there ways to send money out of Saudi Arabia ( and cash checks) if one is on a business visa? What do you know?

Anecdotes will be appreciated.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the "joys" of having a biz visit visa...

Anyway, this topic was very recently discussed in No Igama+No Bank Account=Problem Trans Money Trans Money.
cmp45

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transferring money earned in Saudi Arabia on a Business Visa should be addressed foremost with the company that hired you/ school that employs you.

This money issue should have been brought up prior to taking the job. So many on business visas, I am sure there must be a way to get your hard earned cash sent home.

I would put subtle, yet continuous pressure on the people who are paying you to help you solve this problem

Or look else where for legitimate employment with a proper work visa.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signing up for a deal where you cannot send money home and you have no medical cover ? Think again about those "business" visas ?
waltgomez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the barren, content-free "advice" and sermonizing. No solution, huh?

I do have medical insurance, btw.

A proper work visa takes many weeks to obtain. In the meantime, one needs a place to live, gas, food, etc., all while going thru a very tedious visa process. No income yet. And the medical, ouch! $1200!

And after one obtains the employment visa, one may still not pass the probationary period. And, also, not get a LONO. That means no job in Saudi for three years after that. Not nice if you are in your mid/late 50ies or is it?

This is why people opt for business visas. Work immediately, free to leave the country at any time and come back.

So, I, as usual, had to get answers by myself. Doesn't it always work when you do it yourself?

Anyway, I put some pressure on the company where I work and they are now in the process of signing up with their bank for transfers. But it may take some time.

In the meantime: you can send money by going to Bahrain. In the departure area of the airport, to your left, there is a large glass booth that does money exchange. They send money all around the world, into any bank.

So, schedule an entertainment/vacation trip to Bahrain, take your wad of Saudi money and send it out of there. No Iqamas, no residency visas, no BS required. End of the story.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Enjaz or Al-Rajhi. They may allow transfers with a passport.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waltgomez wrote:
Thanks for all the barren, content-free "advice" and sermonizing. No solution, huh?

So, I, as usual, had to get answers by myself. Doesn't it always work when you do it yourself?

What's up with the snippiness? Posters offered you advice about your check-cashing problem on this and other threads you posted on without beating you up about working via a business visit visa.

Good luck with getting your money.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Try Enjaz or Al-Rajhi. They may allow transfers with a passport.

Don't think Enjaz do. You need an Enjaz card when you send money, and to get that you need an iquana.....
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persuade someone who has an iqama to make a transfer for you ?

Take the cash to Manama in Bahrain and transfer from there ?

Accumulate the cash until you leave and take it with you, not forgetting to declare it on departure. Don't take riyals take foreign currency available from the bureau de change. No iqama is required for buying foreign currency.

Make a mental note to yourself that you should never be suckered into coming to KSA as a "business visitor" when you will be teaching English in a role that should get you an iqama.
waltgomez

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business visas allow you to work and make money immediately. And they allow you to work past 60-65.

Employment visas may take 2 months of not working- while spending money.

Not all companies that bring you in on business visas pay in you in cash/by check. Some actually send money into your bank account. I was just unlucky with this company in that respect, but we're working on persuading them to start sending money into our accounts.

You don't need to declare anything above SR 60,000 when leaving Saudi.

Trips to Bahrain are a regular thing for many of us. Now that I know that the booth at the departure area at the Manama airport sends money to any bank in the world, this is how I'm going to solve the problem for now.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When leaving KSA you have to declare cash or valuables (Gold, jewellery etc) above SAR60,000.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did Mr Gomez resolve the problem ? Has he squared the circle ?
learningpaths

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're on a business visa, chances are you have to visit Bahrain once a month. I've heard you can wire money from there with just a passport.
Arenta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waltgomez wrote:
Business visas allow you to work and make money immediately. And they allow you to work past 60-65.

Employment visas may take 2 months of not working- while spending money.

Not all companies that bring you in on business visas pay in you in cash/by check. Some actually send money into your bank account. I was just unlucky with this company in that respect, but we're working on persuading them to start sending money into our accounts.

You don't need to declare anything above SR 60,000 when leaving Saudi.

Trips to Bahrain are a regular thing for many of us. Now that I know that the booth at the departure area at the Manama airport sends money to any bank in the world, this is how I'm going to solve the problem for now.

In't it expensive to use your ATM card from back home to access the money your employer is paying into your home account? I know there's probably no way around it but was just wondering if you find it to be so?
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Befriend someone with an igama and get them to send the money ? Better still - do not come on a business visa !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: