Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sending Money Out ( and cashing checks) on a Business Visa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttxor1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Lno Reply with quote

Thank you all for the suggestions, the story was told to illustrate how employers can still ask for letters of non objection even though the law might be otherwise. I am now directly employed with a government ministry in the Gulf (not Saudi) on my old passport banking 4k a month after accomodation. TEFL can still be a financially rewarding career.
ttxor1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Lno Reply with quote

(MOD edit)

Last edited by ttxor1 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4k what ? Zlotniks ? Pounds ? Indian Rupees ?
hash

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Lno Reply with quote

ttxor1 wrote:
...the story was told to illustrate how employers can still ask for letters of non objection even though the law might be otherwise. I am now directly employed with a government ministry in the Gulf (not Saudi) on my old passport banking 4k a month after accomodation.

Well, yes but there's more to it than just that. The story you told and the comments you received (including mine) were also told within a purely KSA context. The entire thread assumed a KSA setting.

Once you started adding different personages to the scenario (Gulf employers) - once you started moving the goal posts around, so to speak - the thread pretty much became meaningless.

But not quite, of course. You should still heed my admonitions about using your current ( old) passport should you ever apply for a KSA job in the future.

All those pesky tell tale** official KSA entries in your current passport are totally irrelevant to every country in the world, I'm sure.....except KSA where they could again block another effort by you to re-enter the Kingdom of Humanity in the future.

Should KSA loom large on your horizon sometime down the road, get that new passport.

**(By the way, it's "tell tale", NOT "tell tell" or "tale tale" or"tell tail" or even (I've seen) "tail tail"(!))

siologen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: re: banking? Reply with quote

Not you (to the OP), maybe I am just getting old, but I do not understand younger people using terms like "make bank" (I actually admonished a younger, cocky, english poster in the China forum for using those words!) or "banking" like the example below from the OP:

Quote:
on my old passport banking 4k a month after accomodation

Surely saving X amount a month is good enough? Or is this used in say, North America, if so, anyone care to educate me about it, so then I don't need to ask about it again, in all earnestness?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waltgomez wrote:
disadvantages of Iqamas:
LONOs

Long medical and other such procedures while you are not working.

Also, you can fail some minute point on your medical and will have to get clearances.

Then, an embassy can just reject you.

Need an exit visas as in Nazi Germany.

Need an exit reentry visa.

You will finally pass all the hurdles and then the company just fires you because some psycho manager may not like your face.

Need to get another LONO and they may not want to give it to you.

Business visas you start working right away but there is the inconvenience of going to Bahrain once in a while. Duh.

Your personal experience (above) getting an employment visa, an iqama, and working for the wrong employer doesn't mirror that of others. Besides, your posts throughout this forum about the pay issues you've had while working on a biz visit visa showed your frustration and panic. Biz visas come with risks, but it's more about getting on with a decent company than anything.
ttxor1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lno Reply with quote

hash wrote:
ttxor1 wrote:
...the story was told to illustrate how employers can still ask for letters of non objection even though the law might be otherwise. I am now directly employed with a government ministry in the Gulf (not Saudi) on my old passport banking 4k a month after accomodation.

Well, yes but there's more to it than just that. The story you told and the comments you received (including mine) were also told within a purely KSA context. The entire thread assumed a KSA setting.

Once you started adding different personages to the scenario (Gulf employers) - once you started moving the goal posts around, so to speak - the thread pretty much became meaningless.

But not quite, of course. You should still heed my admonitions about using your current ( old) passport should you ever apply for a KSA job in the future.

All those pesky tell tale** official KSA entries in your current passport are totally irrelevant to every country in the world, I'm sure.....except KSA where they could again block another effort by you to re-enter the Kingdom of Humanity in the future.

Should KSA loom large on your horizon sometime down the road, get that new passport.

**(By the way, it's "tell tale", NOT "tell tell" or "tale tale" or"tell tail" or even (I've seen) "tail tail"(!))

I understood the context of the thread. I have no need or desire to get a new passport or to work in Saudi. I was responding to the suggestions about getting a new passport -- which were in reponse to a story that is almost 3 years old. No change in ' personages', nor changing of goalposts. Again, I told the story to illustrate how non objection letters in Saudi might still be required.

I guess my post could have been saying 'there are better jobs out there and no need to jump through the Saudi visa hoops'.

There is only one Saudi entry stamp in my passport, which is unused. Never been to Saudi, and the visa process has made completely disinterested in ever going.

As stated in other posts, I am hesitant to reveal current employers on public forums, but an 'A to Z' of the employer is recounted here on Dave's.
ttxor1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
4k what ? Zlotniks ? Pounds ? Indian Rupees ?

USD
siologen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: re: near kuwait? Reply with quote

In USD, is that near Kuwait then?
waltgomez

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a solution:

Take cash and go to Bahrain. Send it thru BFC - their exchange company. They are pretty much on every corner.

You will need your passport. Also sometimes they ask for proof of source. Take your salary slip with you just in case.

The also sometimes ask for the passport with Bahraini visa in it. So, take it with you.

You may want to request a card from them. In case they have run out of plastic, just bring your old receipt next time. They can also located you by your passport number apparently.

Last edited by waltgomez on Fri May 18, 2018 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomasmc89

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFC are the best option.

You can check as to what exchange rate you will get before you travel to Bahrain: https://www.bfcsmartmoney.com/

The Saudi riyal seems to be more or less pegged to the Bahraini dinar at 10 to 1, so if you bring over 30,000 SAR for example, that will become 3,000 BD. Bear in mind that BFC charge a 5 BD (50 SAR) fee to send the money as euros to your home bank, or 8 BD (80 SAR) as dollars, so this will be minused from your hypothetical 3,000 BD.

Then when the money reaches your bank at home, they will charge an extra fee to receive it. This fee varies from bank to bank of course but in general you'd be looking at these amounts per transaction (based off teachers I just asked):

$27 (Bank of America)
£20 (NatWest)
€34.50 (Bank of Ireland)

You don't need an iqama or Bahrain residency to send money, but they do take a photocopy of your Saudi work visit visa. They don't even generally ask where you got the money from, but it would be better to bring some payslips if you have them just in case
sicklyman

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you actually done this yourself at BFC Thomasmc89?

The Cooperative Bank charge nothing to receive money this way so that’s interesting that other banks do.

If you want to send your SAR to the UK/US, BFC will first change it into BHD. To do this, they will use their SAR buying rate which is always just shy of 10 to 1. Today, for example, it’s 9.9315. So, you will take a slight hit there.

Each branch of BFC has slightly different rates BTW. The best rates are always from the large BFC by Bab Al Bahrain in Manama. I’ve never found any other service that matches BFC rates for repatriating BHD so if anyone else has, please do share.
Thomasmc89

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sicklyman wrote:
The Cooperative Bank charge nothing to receive money this way so that’s interesting that other banks do.

Oh I didn't know that. That's interesting. I'm always happier when the bank gets as little of my money as possible so might look into that.

Also, yes I have personally used BFC to send money. It's really the best option I think you can find. And is that really true about the different rates at different branches? That shouldn't be right if that's so.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomasmc89 wrote:
... so this will be minused from your hypothetical 3,000 BD.

Just curious (not criticizing), but in AmEng "minus" can be a prep, noun, or adj, but not a verb. So, is this BrEng? (though same in the Oxford dictionary online as above - no verb)

Is this just part of the modern tendency to turn everything into a verb? It read so odd to me that it took awhile to understand what it meant... at first I thought it was a misspelling of "misused." LOL

I would have used "deducted."

VS
(English teachers are so pedantic... Cool )
Thomasmc89

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi veiledsentiments,

Yeah it could be a modern thing. I had a problem even deciding how to spell 'minused' as it looked strange and had the telltale red squiggly line underneath, but I'm sure I've heard it before used like that.

"Deducted" would have been better, you're right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: