Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why did you leave Japan (or why will you?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sudz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that things wouldn't be much worse than in 2010 (please correct me on this if I'm off). Things definitely haven't gotten better though by the sounds of it - as mentioned by others, the wages have been stagnant for a while.

If I hadn't landed my current private high school gig, I likely would've left by now. There's just no room for development at 90 percent of these jobs (the dispatch company I worked for last year offered me a 2000 Yen a month raise to stay, and even make it sound like this was a big deal!).

Unless one has a serious interest in Japanese culture, I would suggest China or Vietnam for newcomers wanting to teach overseas. For people wanting to make a serious go at Japan for the long haul, it would be best to have some type of a teaching/TESOL degree before coming (and even this is no magic bullet). Granted, I have met people working for small dispatch companies in smaller, scenic areas who seem to be doing fine (and seem happy with it). Fair play to them.
rxk22

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kzjohn wrote:
Okay, to be a little contrarian...

I will never leave Japan. My ashes (at my request) will be sprinkled into one of the rivers that flow thru town.

Post-retirement, about five months off, I will do short stints in China or Vietnam, or volunteer teach there or some other SE asia places. I really enjoy teaching and working with people, and doing it without having to factor money in would be great.

I've had requests to do hours here and there around town, but I'd prefer not to continue on locally doing part-time hours, which would be totally boring and more of the same-old, same-old.

I'll be 65 this month. But still, I'd like to do something interesting/challenging/new/different/unusual. I hope someone will have/accept me.

In spite of having degrees in Linguistics and Communications, it's all you young 'uns, and age discrimination that I have to deal with.

I may or may not stay here. Really depends on how the next few years go. Economically as well as my own career.

That said, your generation has different options when it comes to retiring. I am in my 30s, so I have a long way to go until I retire. In the meantime I have to invest and save to retire. As I don't think pensions will exist when I retire.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudz wrote:
If I hadn't landed my current private high school gig, I likely would've left by now. There's just no room for development at 90 percent of these jobs.

That's pretty much why I left. Seemed all the jobs were ALT/Eikaiwa and, after five fun years on JET, figured it was about time to move on. Even Korea seems to be more of the same. Vietnam is the name of the game if you want to grow as a professional instead of spinning wheels...just expect demands as well.
Sudz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you now RS? Back in Vietnam?

While I'm finally in a position that I'm quite content with in Japan, I still find myself missing it at times.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I was offered a job in UAE that I left Saudi for and dropped by Vietnam to wait for the visa. After nearly two months of stressing out, a job offer came my way that was too good to ignore and figured best to be back in Saigon while I still had SOME funds. While I liked some aspects of the Saudi and was looking forward to the Gulf, the teaching itself was so grueling that I wasn't looking forward to it anyway.

I would be more than happy to trade places with ya though. Wink
Shakey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyShackleford wrote:
Yeah. I was offered a job in UAE that I left Saudi for and dropped by Vietnam to wait for the visa. After nearly two months of stressing out...
You had to wait 2 months for your work visa? Is that normal?

RustyShackleford wrote:
While I liked some aspects of the Saudi and was looking forward to the Gulf, the teaching itself was so grueling that I wasn't looking forward to it anyway.
How many hours a week were you teaching, or how many hours per-day?

RustyShackleford wrote:
I would be more than happy to trade places with ya though. ;)
So after teaching in Spain, Korea, Saudi, Vietnam and Japan, how would you rank Japan overall - i.e. quality of life, savings potential and dealing with students and school management, etc.? I assume that you're still interested in Japan if you're still reading and posting here.
Sudz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that RS enjoyed Japan, but didn't want to continue working as an ALT or with Eikaiwas. While these options are okay to start out with, the salary and the work itself can (often) feel very constricting for those who have been at it for a while. While he might have the qualifications to teach in other contexts, it is no guarantee due to the amount of foreigners living and teaching here.

I worked at a private school for several years in Vietnam, and came over to Japan for a change (was offered a gig at an eikaiwa from an old friend, and thought I'd try it). While I enjoyed how chilled it was at first, I quickly found it to be quite shallow and dull (I know this will vary depending on the school). I really felt like I had taken many steps back in terms of both salary and work satisfaction. I then tried ALT for a year. Definitely the easiest teaching gig I've ever had, and the downtime was nice (on some days). I also enjoyed seeing how an actual Japanese junior high school was run (both the good and the bad). Generally, it was a positive year, and overall I preferred it to my first gig in Japan. However, it didn't do anything for my teaching ability (in fact, I think I took a few steps back during that year) so I decided to move on.

While my current job is much more demanding, the change has been very worthwhile. I do put in more hours, but the days often go quickly (which I didn't experience while working as an ALT).
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros and Cons

Japan had by the best lifestyle especially for a Singleton in their 20s. I also know the language and culture better than any other of the countries I've been to. However, the good teaching jobs are tough to get these days and my Japanese has plateaued. Management was fine and as an ALT, classroom management wasn't such an issue. Generally students were respectful anyhow. You can save if you want but I was an idiot and liked hitting my Shibuya fancybars too much. Again, though, I'd go back in a heartbeat if the conditions were right.

Vietnam has the second best lifestyle and far better cost of living.
The best comment I ever read was "a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade salary." And my salary now is a bit more than lemonade. Very Happy Management I found to be usually unobstrusive but I understand that I'm a minority in this. The students and their drive to actually learn and achieve is what keeps me coming back here and makes enjoy teaching there more than the apathetic Japanese kids who hated studying English and found it useless.

Spain had a lovely climate, a language I knew and some interesting architecture but, with such a low salary as I had and knowing that I'd be lucky to make past 1500€ a month, absolutely hated my time there. Glad I went though since I got the degree that let me take this job. Management was fair and largely handsoff at the public school I was in. Students were largely plesasant and it was good to know that sarcasm was well understood.

Saudi was a weird mix of everything. A Vietnam cost of living (assuming you have a compound); a certain first world standard of living and the surreal nature like Japan; and the likeability of Spain. Management kept changing so never got a good grip and the students were just The Worst

to answer your other questions, two months seems more normal than not (some have waited SIX MONTHS!!!) and taught about 7 45 minute classes a day. Largely was just a matter of waking sleepers though.
Shakey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyShackleford wrote:
Pros and Cons

Japan had by the best lifestyle especially for a Singleton in their 20s. I also know the language and culture better than any other of the countries I've been to. However, the good teaching jobs are tough to get these days and my Japanese has plateaued. Management was fine and as an ALT, classroom management wasn't such an issue. Generally students were respectful anyhow. You can save if you want but I was an idiot and liked hitting my Shibuya fancybars too much. Again, though, I'd go back in a heartbeat if the conditions were right.

Vietnam has the second best lifestyle and far better cost of living.
The best comment I ever read was "a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade salary." And my salary now is a bit more than lemonade. :D Management I found to be usually unobstrusive but I understand that I'm a minority in this. The students and their drive to actually learn and achieve is what keeps me coming back here and makes enjoy teaching there more than the apathetic Japanese kids who hated studying English and found it useless.

Spain had a lovely climate, a language I knew and some interesting architecture but, with such a low salary as I had and knowing that I'd be lucky to make past 1500€ a month, absolutely hated my time there. Glad I went though since I got the degree that let me take this job. Management was fair and largely handsoff at the public school I was in. Students were largely plesasant and it was good to know that sarcasm was well understood.

Saudi was a weird mix of everything. A Vietnam cost of living (assuming you have a compound); a certain first world standard of living and the surreal nature like Japan; and the likeability of Spain. Management kept changing so never got a good grip and the students were just The Worst

to answer your other questions, two months seems more normal than not (some have waited SIX MONTHS!!!) and taught about 7 45 minute classes a day. Largely was just a matter of waking sleepers though.

Thanks for the information. It's interesting to hear how Japan compares with other countries from EFL teachers who have taught here and elsewhere. I've also heard some good things about Vietnam.
Sudz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to hear RS's perspective, especially having worked in Vietnam and Japan - and having considered Spain and Saudi as a future teaching destination (although not so much anymore).

I think living in/around Tokyo as a JET in your 20s could potentially be a blast! As a JET, the salary actually seems quite comfortable (unlike when you're gouged by a crappy dispatch company).

Even though I'm making more cash now, it's hard to beat the lifestyle you can have in Vietnam. "Champagne lifestyle on a lemonade salary" is right!
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I wonder if the grass is greener.

Here are three jobs. Would you take them? Or not bother to apply?

5 year contract. Work in Tokyo but at least once a week at the Saitama campus. Must work on Saturday morning.
Commute sucks.

Next, secondary school in Tokyo. Sunday is a day off and one other day. Work until five, most of the time. Vacation is mostly just three weeks in August and a little more at the end of the year, maybe a little in March. After three years tenure is possible but only if they like you.
Pretty good students. Some will study abroad so they need the TOEFL.

Finally, a university in Yokohama. Three year contract which can be renewed once or twice. Four days a week. Several Saturdays a year but now there is work during the vacation periods so not sure about how much vacation teachers get, but they get some.
Trend seems to favor those with research or those with doctorates.
Plus school wants to cut lots of part-timers and get some full-timers to teach a little more.
Commute means taking three trains.

Or just say screw it, go back to the US and teach high school. Get tenure and a raise every year, but must work hard. Can explore places like Seattle and Portland.

Last edited by mitsui on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Miura Anjin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The job scene is pretty tough unless you luck into something. I almost ended up with the first job on mitsui's list, as it was the only university that would offer me - a recent MA graduate with university teaching experience in another country and a couple of years eikaiwa work in Japan - a job. Their working conditions and salary are not much better than the eikaiwa job I had before going to do my MA, in fact I'd say it's eikaiwa work in all but name. I suppose the point is that you stick it out and can put experience at a Japanese university on your CV.
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I hear you.
I know a British woman (and a few others) who worked there and it gave her university experience after she had had it teaching anyone under 18.
The school is in Ikebukuro (Rikkyo). Yep, eikaiwa in all but name.
Students are more spoiled than before.
I already have worked at universities in Japan for several years so it struck me as an entry level position.
In fact the work I can get is entry level, which makes me think it is time to leave, since I am not getting younger.

Rush hour commutes would suck. Ikebukuro is so crowded.

Other teachers I know would never last 3-5 years due to the commute but Saturday work sucks. I did it from 2000-2006 straight but when you get big bonuses, you can stick it out.
dove

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left Japan in 2013. I moved to São Paulo, Brazil where I have my own school. I always wanted to be my own boss. Japan was a great place to live, but after so many years there, I just got tired of the same style of teaching and the hang ups and complexes of Japanese people learning English. Brazilians are amazing to teach. Most of my students are in IT and they absolutely need English for work. And many of my students want to work/live abroad. Brazilians can talk about anything. They seem to really enjoy learning English and they like different techniques. In Japan, I never felt completely free to experiment with different activities. The regimentation and rigidity of Japan got me down a lot. But my last years in Japan were pretty good because I was teaching private lessons and company classes (I hated teaching jhs or university students when I was in Japan and avoided it at all costs).
I miss Tokyo like crazy. I loved exploring that city so much. São Paulo has issues of safety. But it's home now. I save around 1,500 US dollars each month. I can take time off when I want. I can prepare the lessons I want to teach. So I don't regret leaving. But damn, I miss the creative energy of Tokyo.
Shakey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
Here are three jobs. Would you take them? Or not bother to apply?

5 year contract. Work in Tokyo but at least once a week at the Saitama campus. Must work on Saturday morning.
Commute sucks.

Next, secondary school in Tokyo. Sunday is a day off and one other day. Work until five, most of the time. Vacation is mostly just three weeks in August and a little more at the end of the year, maybe a little in March. After three years tenure is possible but only if they like you.
Pretty good students. Some will study abroad so they need the TOEFL.

Finally, a university in Yokohama. Three year contract which can be renewed once or twice. Four days a week. Several Saturdays a year but now there is work during the vacation periods so not sure about how much vacation teachers get, but they get some.

They're all terrible.

First, the full time contract jobs may initially seem like a good idea, but are what I would call a poisoned chalice. The contracts are all non-renewable beyond 3 - 5 years, so you are just prolonging the inevitable. If you give up all of your part-time positions now, then you will be back to square one in 3 - 5 years and have no job at all.

Second, taking multiple trains across Tokyo and into Saitama is not fun, especially in the morning or during rush hour in the evening. You will hate it. And having to work Saturday mornings is for chumps and newbies to Japan, not people like you who are experienced and have been in Japan for many years.

mitsui wrote:
Or just say screw it, go back to the US and teach high school. Get tenure and a raise every year, but must work hard. Can explore places like Seattle and Portland.

Go back to the US and teach. So you put in the hours, yeah, that sucks, but at least you get a pension and can enjoy being back in the Pacific Northwest with the good lifestyle that it can provide from food to clean air, mountains and the ocean, etc.

Look, if you're working more, commuting longer and further to get to work and sleeping less the longer you stay in Japan, then something is seriously wrong. Time to go to where the opportunity is. Why hang on here? It's just not in your interest, either financially or in terms of career development, to be in Japan anymore.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: