Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why did you leave Japan (or why will you?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timothypfox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moviefan1987's comment is generally true about finding a good job here. But, I myself was hired from abroad into private high school position. However, this is after upgrading my skills after a previous 2 years at a language school in Japan. I added public school experience, and TESOL Masters.

Really the best leg in to Japan, or first time experience for ESL teachers in Japan, seems to be the JET program from what I hear.

These days it doesn't hurt to really up your skills before considering Japan. This could include taking Japanese lessons, teaching ESL students at a school or even volunteering, and some interest and experience in something cultural that is Japanese such as movies, martial arts, or flower arranging or cooking.

You might even consider public school teaching certification and experience and a master's in TESOL as well.

Those considering Japan will like the unique culture, but may eventually find a more or less single culture society a bit challenging to thrive in particularly if you come from a very internationalized country or city.
Chroniclesoffreedom

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discrimination, social segregation, the berlin wall that exists between local immigrants and native locals, however you want to describe it. I think that alone would compel alot of us to leave at some point.

Having a police officer ask for your gaijin card every single time you walk out the door would eventually give you the idea that maybe you're not exactly welcome there. Not to mention that if a local commits a crime against you, it's useless to report it. Cops won't do anything when a crime is comitted against a foreigner. Most of the time anyway.
ntropy

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the BBC commentator, John Peel, once said, "Japan is the closest place on the planet you can get to not leaving the planet."

A recent novel I enjoyed about a Japan unchecked is worth a read.

https://www.amazon.com/Pax-Pox-Nipponica-Satoshi-Nakamoto-ebook/dp/B07168W3Y5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495808602&sr=8-1&keywords=pox+nipponica
twowheel

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chroniclesoffreedom wrote:
The discrimination, social segregation, the berlin wall that exists between local immigrants and native locals, however you want to describe it. I think that alone would compel alot of us to leave at some point.

Having a police officer ask for your gaijin card every single time you walk out the door would eventually give you the idea that maybe you're not exactly welcome there.

Not to mention that if a local commits a crime against you, it's useless to report it. Cops won't do anything when a crime is comitted against a foreigner. Most of the time anyway.

Do you have first-hand experience with any of the above in Japan?

twowheel
Maitoshi

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twowheel wrote:

Having a police officer ask for your gaijin card every single time you walk out the door would eventually give you the idea that maybe you're not exactly welcome there.

Not to mention that if a local commits a crime against you, it's useless to report it. Cops won't do anything when a crime is comitted against a foreigner. Most of the time anyway.

Do you have first-hand experience with any of the above in Japan?

twowheel

I haven't experienced any of the above.
twowheel

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maitoshi wrote:
I haven't experienced any of the above.

In my five years living in three very different Japanese locales, I never experienced any of it either.

Not saying that it can't happen, but I am stating that it isn't a "definitely going to happen" instance either as those highlighted quotes seem to indicate.

As I noted in my previous posts in this thread, xenophobia and unfair cops were NOT my reasons for leaving Japan. I had wonderful colleagues who helped me to fit in and I never had any run-ins with law enforcement.

twowheel
rxk22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking, it is so hard to integrate here. I go to my kid's schools, and participate in events. I try to be friendly and all that, but I am just never accepted as a full member here. Despite my pretty good Japanese, most people treat me as a curiosity, or ignore me. It is really hard to live here, esp when you aren't in Tokyo. I just don't see the appeal being here long term. If only my wife could live overseas. I'd move somewhere else, even if it isn't the US. Singapore, or what have you.
Maitoshi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many Japanese who also feel it is difficult to be accepted as a full member. Some people develop seriously strong relationships with their schoolmates and those are their lifelong confidants. They develop other relationships, too, but it is difficult to compare to those with a very long shared history. I'm sure most of us also have different levels of connection with others, too. If you remain here for quite some time, and hang out with others who have things in common (not just having kids at the same school) I think it is possible to develop strong connections, though a shared multi-decade history will take decades to develop.
rxk22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maitoshi wrote:
There are many Japanese who also feel it is difficult to be accepted as a full member. Some people develop seriously strong relationships with their schoolmates and those are their lifelong confidants. They develop other relationships, too, but it is difficult to compare to those with a very long shared history. I'm sure most of us also have different levels of connection with others, too. If you remain here for quite some time, and hang out with others who have things in common (not just having kids at the same school) I think it is possible to develop strong connections, though a shared multi-decade history will take decades to develop.
you are right one does need to do thing and share experiences. Unfortunately, I work and so does my wife. Leaving me with essentially zero free time. I don't read books anymore, little TV, and no movies. I only hit the gym once a week too. Far less active than I want to be. I also blame a lot if that on Japan. Daycare is time consuming to prepare for. No dishwashers, no dryers make chores take much longer than otherwise. So my social life is severely harmed by being here. Sad to say
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. My wife wants to stay. Healthcare is better here and she wants to get out of Tokyo and go back to her hometown.

I just need to find a job in Kansai, which I have been trying to do.
I have applied to a few places and will apply to at least a couple more soon.

If I was back in the US my wife could be unemployed and know nobody, so that would make things worse.
Maitoshi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with securing a position near her hometown! Getting out of the Tokyo grind should help eliminate some of the "anonymous" feeling, though the degree to which will likely depend on how rural it is. Our hometown is fairly rural, so most people know me or know of me. Sometimes I think it may actually be preferable to be more anonymous, but that's usually only true when I put out the recycling on empty can and bottle day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: