Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Al Akhawayn in Ifrane, Morocco
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:

I don't know the range but 2000 USD with no accommodation would be a figure to throw at you. It really depends on your quals, age and experience.

Ok, thanks. Do you have any idea what it would cost to rent a 3-bedroom house or apartment there? I've been looking online, but since it's a resort town, every website I find is just for vacation rentals, and they are a mostly 1 and 2 rooms, and even on that I wasn't sure whether they meant 2 bedrooms or if they meant 1 bedroom + 1 living room = 2 rooms. I saw one 3-room place for about $630/month.
danshengou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you moving a family there on that salary? I'd imagine that income taxes and renting a 3-bedroom fully furnished apartment would consume nearly all of that salary. So are you sure you want to pursue this job? You might actually go into debt doing it.
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would have my family with me. My husband will be looking for a job at the same school or somewhere close by ("close" being relative... namely within a couple hours drive). He teaches university level electrical engineering and computer programming. We won't be entirely dependent on my salary.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmericanAmina wrote:
I would have my family with me. My husband will be looking for a job at the same school or somewhere close by ("close" being relative... namely within a couple hours drive). He teaches university level electrical engineering and computer programming. We won't be entirely dependent on my salary.

You're a family of 8. Frankly, regardless of the country, it would be best if your husband got a job first given his strong quals (PhD and uni experience) with you applying for positions as a trailing spouse. Also, I suggest waiting until you actually have your MA TESOL in hand to show you've completed your degree program. And that's wherever you apply.
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad soul, my husband is definitely the better qualified of the two of us, and he may have an easier time finding a position for next fall. I'm just worried that if I wait until after graduation in May to apply anywhere, then I'll miss the main hiring season. That leaves me waiting another year to find a position. Is it unusual to apply for a job before graduation? I honestly thought everyone did that.

The other thing is that my husband is completely undecided about where to go next, and I want to take the initiative and apply to places that I would feel enthusiastic about spending a few years in hopes that if I get an offer then that will give him one area to focus in on as well. This is sort of the dynamic in our house. He's a free spirit... I need to plan. I know my method may look wacky to some, but there's logic behind it.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmericanAmina wrote:
I'm just worried that if I wait until after graduation in May to apply anywhere, then I'll miss the main hiring season. That leaves me waiting another year to find a position. Is it unusual to apply for a job before graduation? I honestly thought everyone did that.

In the US, it's not unusual to apply for jobs (in general) during the final semester of study per the requirements indicated in the job ad. However, there's a lot of competition for these international TEFL opportunities. Job fairs like those at IATEFL, TESOL Arabia, and TESOL Int'l attract top candidates mainly because of the rare chance to interview in person with prospective employers. Given that Al Akhawayn will be at IATEFL to recruit teachers, they'll easily end up with a pool of experienced, MA/PhD-degreed Britons.

There's a benefit to holding off and applying next year: You'd have at least a year of post-MA experience under your belt if you continue to teach in the UAE.

and AmericanAmina wrote:
The other thing is that my husband is completely undecided about where to go next, and I want to take the initiative and apply to places that I would feel enthusiastic about spending a few years in hopes that if I get an offer then that will give him one area to focus in on as well. This is sort of the dynamic in our house. He's a free spirit... I need to plan. I know my method may look wacky to some, but there's logic behind it.

An engineer who's a free spirit... Cool

Perhaps you can find a situation with good opportunities for employment for both of you. Have you considered countries that aren't in the MENA that might work better for your large family and careers?
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

In the US, it's not unusual to apply for jobs (in general) during the final semester of study per the requirements indicated in the job ad. However, there's a lot of competition for these international TEFL opportunities. Job fairs like those at IATEFL, TESOL Arabia, and TESOL Int'l attract top candidates mainly because of the rare chance to interview in person with prospective employers. Given that Al Akhawayn will be at IATEFL to recruit teachers, they'll easily end up with a pool of experienced, MA/PhD-degreed Britons.

Oh. Well, that's a little discouraging. I do feel like I make a great impression in person, though. I tend to do well in interviews, because I only apply for jobs I'm genuinely excited about, so I think that shows. If I can get a shot at an interview, I believe I have a chance.

Like you say, if I don't get in at Al Akhawayn this year, then I can continue what I'm doing now and apply to work there next year with more experience behind me, but I really would like to at least try this year. Do you think it would hurt my chances next year if I apply now but don't get short-listed?
danshengou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supporting a family of 8 as a free-spirited educator in AD...hmmm. Unless you have a well of cash somewhere, practically speaking, I'd go someplace where the food is cheap and the education even cheaper.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmericanAmina wrote:
Like you say, if I don't get in at Al Akhawayn this year, then I can continue what I'm doing now and apply to work there next year with more experience behind me, but I really would like to at least try this year. Do you think it would hurt my chances next year if I apply now but don't get short-listed?

It doesn't hurt to reapply if your qualifications have changed.
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
Supporting a family of 8 as a free-spirited educator in AD...hmmm. Unless you have a well of cash somewhere, practically speaking, I'd go someplace where the food is cheap and the education even cheaper.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

There is such thing as a free-spirited engineer! I swear. I live with one.

Right now we're in a situation where our housing is paid for through my husband's job, and we are homeschooling our children. We couldn't begin to afford the cost of education here in Abu Dhabi. Eek! We manage very well like this, except that our children are beginning to miss the school routine. My oldest child has graduated high school, and my youngest isn't old enough for school, so right now we just have the middle 4 to consider. Ideally I would like our next location to be somewhere that offers access to public schools for foreigners or where there is a school affiliated with the university.

My husband taught in Saudi before, and there's a country that offers cheap food and cheap education, and it was a pretty great experience for us all around. Going back there is an option for us, but I have my eye on a couple of different places right now, primarily Morocco and specifically Al Akhawayn (as I mentioned). I'm open to the idea of Oman or Turkey, which both seem really nice to me. Affordability-wise, I'm not really sure what places work out best for us.
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

I've got an interview with Al Akhawayn later this week! I'm psyched!

My husband is poking around to see if there are any possible openings in his department. Let's see what happens.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!
danmbob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interview?

Last edited by danmbob on Sat May 06, 2017 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it'll be a Skype interview.
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I barely squeaked in there, but I got the job. I'm heading to Morocco in August. Yay!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: