Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TESOL Arabia - a waste of time or useful?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leggeymountbatten

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: TESOL Arabia - a waste of time or useful? Reply with quote

By a previous HOD I worked for in Riyadh at a CoE, I was signed up to become a member of TESOL Arabia. The HOD made sure all the teacher's were signed up - he called it "professionalizing the staff."

The same HOD subsequently arranged ("Gentleman, we are today making history!") the first ever TESOL Arabia conference to be held in Riyadh. As his quoted words above show, he thought it was a significant event.

A lot of people from the world of English teaching turned up, many of them from the Middle East who took their subject seriously. The conference consisted of a speech by the HOD, then a speech by some guy selling books, and then speeches on curriculum writing, then one on blended learning. And that was it.

Everybody was asked to leave. Some of the Saudis had traveled from Jeddah to attend and they expressed their disappointment. As the event was labelled a conference, they expected I think a bit more interaction ie some workshops where people could feed their own knowledge and experience into the event. As it was, it was a bit of a washout.

Subsequently, the HOD and several teachers went to Dubai to the annual TESOL Arabia gathering to recruit teachers. They came back more or less empty handed. The trip had been expensive for the college, but not much had come out of it. The money could have been better spent in other ways attracting good caliber personnel to the college.

Is this anyone else's experience of TESOL Arabia? Or are there more positive stories?
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found KSAALT to be better. (ie KSA Association of Language Teachers) They too had a disturbing tendency of parachuting in "Experts" whose expertise was questionable but they also put on local events utilising local talents.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: TESOL Arabia - a waste of time or useful? Reply with quote

leggeymountbatten wrote:
Subsequently, the HOD and several teachers went to Dubai to the annual TESOL Arabia gathering to recruit teachers. They came back more or less empty handed. The trip had been expensive for the college, but not much had come out of it. The money could have been better spent in other ways attracting good caliber personnel to the college.

Is this anyone else's experience of TESOL Arabia? Or are there more positive stories?

It sounds to me like this group didn't have a clue as to how to interview/hire... and/or... what they had on offer had no appeal in comparison to the other jobs that were on offer at the job fair.

TESOLArabia in the UAE has always been quite a professionally run conference. I know many teachers who found jobs there by interviewing or through networking (in the normal definition of the term). The presentations on offer range from boring/useless to very professional/useful... just like any normal conferences.

But if Saudi is one's only employment interest, KSAALT is probably a better option.

VS
Lord T

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leggey, I attended the debacle that you mentioned. There was only one person to blame and he is the one who said: 'We may be few in number, but today we are making history".

When will he realize that style over substance is not the way forward?

Having said that, there was neither style nor substance at that particular gathering.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: TESOL Arabia - a waste of time or useful? Reply with quote

leggeymountbatten wrote:
By a previous HOD I worked for in Riyadh at a CoE, I was signed up to become a member of TESOL Arabia. The HOD made sure all the teacher's were signed up - he called it "professionalizing the staff."

The same HOD subsequently arranged ("Gentleman, we are today making history!") the first ever TESOL Arabia conference to be held in Riyadh. As his quoted words above show, he thought it was a significant event.

A lot of people from the world of English teaching turned up, many of them from the Middle East who took their subject seriously. The conference consisted of a speech by the HOD, then a speech by some guy selling books, and then speeches on curriculum writing, then one on blended learning. And that was it.

Everybody was asked to leave. Some of the Saudis had traveled from Jeddah to attend and they expressed their disappointment. As the event was labelled a conference, they expected I think a bit more interaction ie some workshops where people could feed their own knowledge and experience into the event. As it was, it was a bit of a washout.

That TESOL Arabia-Riyadh chapter event sounds like it was poorly planned and didn't meet the needs of the attendees in terms of engaging professional development. It's also a bit odd of that HOD/founder to exclaim that history was being made since KSAALT has been in KSA for about a decade.

But if you're referring to the long-standing TESOL Arabia that's headquartered in Dubai, I'm with VS. I had attended numerous times while teaching in the region and enjoyed the seminars/presentations in addition to the networking opportunities. In fact, I got my KSA direct-hire position via TESOL Arabia's annual job fair.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord T wrote:
Leggey, I attended the debacle that you mentioned. There was only one person to blame and he is the one who said: 'We may be few in number, but today we are making history".

The corrupt Gulf State bombastic third world style of educational leadership would find a statement like that useful. When it doesn't do anything why not just blame the teachers for not being up to their leadership standards and fire them. Not a one of those planners cares anything about the standards that are required to bring about real change, or even about education at all.
Balzac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: TESOL Arabia - a waste of time or useful? Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
That TESOL Arabia-Riyadh chapter event sounds like it was poorly planned and didn't meet the needs of the attendees in terms of engaging professional development. It's also a bit odd of that HOD/founder to exclaim that history was being made since KSAALT has been in KSA for about a decade.

Yeah we've all been to those types of conferences and seminars: the ones where people talk nonsense and about irrelevancies where as Lord T said, "style over substance" prevails. You can always spot those folks as they really have nothing to say and the entire presentation is really advertising that fact yet they rarely seem to be aware that everyone in the room, except themselves, knows they are talking a load of rubbish.

I attended a presentation by two such guys who had attended TESOL Arabia and as a payback for getting free tickets and hotel, flights and everything paid for by the department HoD, they had to "cascade" their experiences to the rest of department in the form of a presentation.

I sat there and watched as the first one spent 15 minutes giving a TripAdvisor report about the decor of the hotel rooms and how many new friends he had made there. It was utterly embarrassing as he showed pictures of the hotel furnishings. The other one gave a talk about the internet uptake of Saudis which skipped from stage to stage and barely had any solid facts or research to support any semblance of an argument being offered. Actually, if truth be known there was no argument being made at all.

Like everyone else in the room, I was left scratching my head and wondering why (a) these guys had been selected to get a freebie holiday aka "junket" ahead of many far more experienced and qualified staff, and (b) how both the presenters and their HoD were able to get away with partaking in a total charade, one which was extremely expensive as they also took time off work and were paid while they were away in Dubai?

B
leggeymountbatten

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: TESOL Arabia - a waste of time or useful? Reply with quote

Veiledsentiments said:
It sounds to me like this group didn't have a clue as to how to interview/hire... and/or... what they had on offer had no appeal in comparison to the other jobs that were on offer at the job fair.

VS -this is close to the mark. Those who were supposed to be doing the interviewing were not professional and "didn't have a clue."

Indeed, one of interviewing delegation went AWOL for nearly the whole of the time they were there. He went off to take full advantage of what Dubai could offer. When he re-appeared the HOD didn't bat an eyelid. This is how professional it all was. As I said, the college lost of lot of money through this venture,and it was not repeated again.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recruitment through TESOL International, TESOL Arabia, IATEFL and other conferences was never a great success when I was at KFUPM/HBCC. In the end the Dean in charge decided to give up that avenue of recruitment. More effective was advertuising here, on Daves, and doing interviews via Skype.

I used to joke that for serious recruiters, a foray to some of the seedier bars of Bahrain or Bangkok would be a better tactic. We could use the tactics of the 18th century press-gang.
No Place Like Home

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a guest speaker at one KSAALT event a few years back. Sadly a lot of expats in Riyadh at that time had already signed up to attend an illegal desert party the same weekend, plus the HODs at a certain other institute I sent the info to did not bother to forward it to their staff... Still, it was a nice event and the people who attended were happy to listen and participate in my workshop.

I've also been to the big TESOL Arabia event in Dubai and this is defo worth the effort, I didn't have enough time to attend all the things I wanted, I made some really useful contacts, and a lot of people rate it as the best place to sign up if you are looking for a job.
Aletheia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: TESOL Arabia - a waste of time or useful? Reply with quote

leggeymountbatten wrote:

Dear leggeymountbatten,

As the HoD cited, please note the following corrections to your post;

1. I said '"Ladies and Gentlemen"
2. The event was always billed as a "mini conference""
3. It was historic in that is was the first TESOL Arabia event outside the UAE.
4. The speakers and their presentations were approved by TESOL Arabia
3. It was novel in that men and women were permitted to attend.
4. Attendees were not
Quote:
"told to leave".
Refreshments were offered at the break and after the program.
5. All attendees were sent a program before the event so they knew what to expect.
6. The event was a first. It was modest. It was professional but unpretentious. The feedback revealed that attendees did not view it as "a washout". It did not cost a lot of money to host.
Quote:
They came back more or less empty handed".
The recruitment at the TESOL Arabia conference Dubai was reasonably successful and we recruited 5 quality ELTs, some of whom played a noteworthy part in the development of the curriculum and the department as a whole.

Quote:
The money could have been better spent in other ways attracting good caliber personnel to the college.
The College had looked at and employed a variety of recruitment methods. The cost of being part of TESOL Arabia, registering all the ELTs as members and conference attendance, came from the departments budget and so the additional expense of recruiting at TACON was minimal and good value for money.
Aletheia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: TESOL Arabia - a waste of time or useful? Reply with quote

leggeymountbatten wrote:
Veiledsentiments said:

VS -this is close to the mark. Those who were supposed to be doing the interviewing were not professional and "didn't have a clue."

Indeed, one of interviewing delegation went AWOL for nearly the whole of the time they were there. He went off to take full advantage of what Dubai could offer. When he re-appeared the HOD didn't bat an eyelid. This is how professional it all was. As I said, the college lost of lot of money through this venture and it was not repeated again.

Corrections:

1. Delegates to conferences (have you actually ever been to an education conference?) are not usually expected to attend every session every day. In fact it is impossible to attend all the sessions as many are run concurrently. Why? To cater to a wide range of interests around the conference topic. Each of the 3 days, our delegation met up twice for sharing and when an attendee had free time, its true,
Quote:
I didn't bat an eyelid.
"

Quote:
I don't believe the College had professional, trained, recruiters however, senior management believed that we could identify formal qualifications for the job, assess the experience and a feel for whether the candidate would be an asset to the department. The results speak for themselves. The 5 ELTs recruited had a positive influence on the department and contributed to its ongoing development.

Quote:
Indeed, one of interviewing delegation went AWOL for nearly the whole of the time they were there
This is just untrue.

Quote:
This is how professional it all was. As I said, the college lost of lot of money through this venture and it was not repeated again.
Again - completely wrong. The College didn't lose any money. We did not recruit at TACON the following year because we didn't need to !!
Lord T

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a time when people who were promoted beyond their capability and made a mess of things, would apologize, quietly walk away, and look for a more suitable type of work.

These days however, the usual way of operating is to disappear for a period of time, re-invent themselves, and try to talk themselves into another well-paid job that is way beyond their capability.

I sense here that an attempted comeback may be on the cards.
ttxor1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: TESOL Arabia Reply with quote

I went a few years back. I didn't go to the job fair, as I already had a good gig. But I found the presentations I went to interesting, and networked. There are employers who would value conference presentations on an applicant's resume. I haven't been to KSAALT so can't comment or compare. But I would go again if given the opportunity, and maybe try to give a presentation.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my colleagues were cynical and expressed resentment that we went to conferences like this. I do not listen to the naysayers and gloom-merchants !
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: