Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Status of Non-native Speakers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abikan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Status of Non-native Speakers Reply with quote

Hello guys,

I am a Norwegian, that is, a non-native speaker of English and as I've been able to gather that puts me in a slightly different boat than the native speakers.

I am wondering to what extent it affects my attractiveness to an employer in Vietnam. I see they're looking for native speakers, but assuming my level of English is on par with the rest, could an exception be made for me Smile?

Thanks for assisting,
Tom
SeldomSeen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your teaching credentials? CELTA (or Trinity)? Do you have much experience? If you tick these boxes, then you shouldn't have many problems landing a good job.

I've worked with many non-native speakers. Their English is as excellent as their credentials and it's never held them back.

Dare I say it but some mills put more on you having the right 'face'. Being Norwegian, you probably meet their requirements.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with SeldomSeen, in that your credentials and appearance are quite important, but would add that a lot depends on your personality, which should be pleasant and flexible.

Most teaching work in VN for non-natives involves kids and teens. If you can be entertaining and know a lot of games and activities, you should be able to get a fair amount of work, even without a CELTA or TEFL certificate.

If you do have a CELTA or have taken the IELTS test, you may be able to move up the ladder to the test prep market, which is the other big segment of the TEFl industry in VN.

Contact some schools and see what they say.
skarper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top tier schools will not hire you. But 3rd tier [the majority] will if you look like a native speaker and don't sound too weird.

You will get a few hours here and there at first and then if you can cut the mustard you will pick up more and more as time goes by.

Frankly - you will do better than a native speaker who looks Asian.

Bottom line is it's not a deal breaker but it is a handicap.

Forget about work permits and being 100% legal though, but that is the case for most native speakers too.
abikan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, your feedback helps to clarify many of the questions I've been wondering.

Currently, I am without a certificate and much relevant experience, so understandably not a very attractive candidate at the moment, however I feel a desire to perhaps wanna give teaching a legit shot. Although, until I arrive that conclusion, much need to be researched.

Still climbing out of a crippling depression from a lost childhood, but was able to save myself at the last moment; now looking to start a new life with a hopefully new self. Boo hoo, I want no sympathy. However, will take some time and research.

I see I've come to the right place for information and community. Great stuff.

Thanks kindly again,
Tom
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, moving to Southeast Asia can change your life, but you need to have realistic expectations. It's not paradise even with the tropical weather, beaches, exotic food, attractive women, etc.

It is possible though. Do you research as you mention, and start networking and contacting schools. Focus on the positive rather than the fact that you lack this or that. IMO, demand is still high in VN and the rest of Southeast Asia.

Be very cautious. Don't agree to anything before arriving.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a non-native English speaker definitely limits your options. I know a lot of reputable schools which have a native English speaker only policy. No exceptions.

You will likely be able to find work. Just be aware you're going in with less options.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
Being a non-native English speaker definitely limits your options. I know a lot of reputable schools which have a native English speaker only policy. No exceptions.

Which schools are these out of interest?

British Council, RMIT and Apollo all hire non-native teachers. ILA officially doesn't but actually does (I suspect they're not the only ones). ACET specifies native speaker or IELTS band 8. I'm not sure any of the proper international schools specify native speakers. At that level, they're usually more interested in your actual teaching credentials.
IvanaShaanxi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Native English speakers had a tendency to give the same comments with regards to teaching English in China, but in fact, getting a job there for non-native European teachers was a piece of cake.

I wonder if the same goes for Vietnam.
piglet44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ivana of course, in CHina it's an official visa policy which can be circumvented by those with enough Guanxi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: