Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TATI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was hired by TATI-2013, there was no verification requirement, and also for the next year, the same. Bit that's for the MOM College jobs. I know that verification requirements were introduced for the recruiter hired MOHE teachers last year....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on various posts here, the recruiters were not made to follow the Ministry requirement... and predictably have had some issues with fake degrees. First the Ministry required them to raise the education/experience requirements... and apparently finally, they are insisting on seeing the proof.

VS
Chopin16

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you prove you have a degree? It's up to them to contact the registrar if they want to confirm it
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only person, if you need to contact your former uni to obtain a fresh copy of a degree certificate, or have the certificate authenticated, is going to be you. As said above-this 'authentication' hasn't been enforced until now. [If it is now being enforced?] The MOM tells the recruiters what 's needed-and they, the recruiters, tell you to provide. There'll be lots of applicants for these 1400 Omani rial jobs, so if you can't provide the documents-your application will be simply thrown away.....'it is what it is'-nobody from TATI or the Ministry is going to be calling the academic registrar! Shocked
Chopin16

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh so that's why it't not really authenticated. If they don't call themselves, it#s not authenticated since you could have got your documents from anywhere
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chopin16 wrote:
How do you prove you have a degree? It's up to them to contact the registrar if they want to confirm it

umm... no... it is up to you to prove it. And there are no phone calls involved by anyone to anyone... unless you need to get a new original graduation certificate, because YES, you will need it. There is a process which varies slightly by country that involves various copies and certification (notarization in the US process) and certification of notary and going to the State Department (if American) and passing though the Embassy of Oman... all with payments required for your papers to acquire various stamps and seals and maybe even ribbons and wax.

It can be done in a couple of days if you happen to be in Washington DC or you can pay an agency to do it for Big Bucks and it may take a week or two or three.

The employer should direct you as to the current requirements and processes from your home country. Although when I first did it for SQU, I ended up having to call the State Department to find out the process.

This is also now required in the UAE.

VS
Charlie123

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to send my degree certification to the Omani embassy. It then has to be picked up from the Omani embassy and sent to the MOE in Oman. The gentleman at the Omani embassy insisted that it be delivered to his desk and picked up from his desk. He will not lick a stamp. He will not go to a mail box. He generally did not respond to emails or voicemail. Fedex had to pick up and deliver from his desk with out any expenditure of energy on his part. In my case, this meant that I needed to open a Fedex account and pay for hand-delivery and pickup from his desk -- difficult because I wasn't in the country so I couldn't open an account. I ended up having to rely on the charity of a friend to have the service done. As a result, it took an extra six weeks to get my degree certified and in the hands of the MOE in Oman.

Nothing you can do. Cost of doing business in Oman.

Chopin16 wrote:
Eijse74

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: TATI Reply with quote

Chopin16 wrote:
They wrote to me for an interview. Salary is 1385 OMR which breaks down as 250 OMR housing, 135 other allowance and 1000 basic salary. Is that all they pay???

Yep, that's all they pay and that's all you'll ever get. A few teachers with TATI got a bump when there was a government-mandated increase some years back, though. To my knowledge, no one since then has received anything but 1385 OR.

Source: I'm currently one of TATI's many dissatisfied worker bees
Chopin16

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some notaries in the UK don't check with the university registrar. I got my degree notarised in the evening. He just looked at it and stamped and sealed it. Job done.
mine was a real degree. But it could have been any degree milled cert i gave him.
balancedsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MA/M Ed is not necessarily a hard-and-fast requirement. If you have a lot of relevant experience and skills, colleges will still be willing to talk to you. Please don't ask me what 'relevant' might mean, because it will depend on each college's needs at the time.

RO1385 has been pretty much the best offer at the CoTs for at least 6 years. TATI employees got a pay rise of RO30-50 in about 2014, but that was only for existing employees at the time and was due to a one-off change in government policy. MoM hasn't increased its payments to the agencies, so they have no real room to move. A couple of people have told me they get slightly more, but it turns out their other benefits are worse.

CECN is the hold-out from the pack when it comes to agencies - considerably worse package.
sammysez

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the actual salary in dollars not counting the benefits etc...

Do you recommend the position? the country?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammysez wrote:
What is the actual salary in dollars not counting the benefits etc...

Do you recommend the position?

Be proactive. Just google currency converter to convert the amounts indicated above. Confused

Plus, TATI (and Oman) have been discussed umpteen times here. No search needed -- just scroll through this forum.
balancedsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OMR (Omani rials) 1385. Check online to convert to whatever kind of dollars you want. I like the country, the location and the job. Of course, that doesn't mean they'll suit you. If you have more specific questions, please post them or pm me.
sammysez

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salary is 1385 OMR which breaks down as 250 OMR housing, 135 other allowance and 1000 basic salary.

This was the original post, and I didn't know if this $1385 OMR "breaks down" was that part of the "salary benefit" or was the salary totally separate.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It hasn't changed in the last 7-8 years......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: