Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

return flight proof?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyroleanhat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: return flight proof? Reply with quote

My F visa will be valid for 3 months.
I booked my flight with ctrip, and the APP gives me a info that I need to show a return flight if I stay more than 72 hours (the 72 hours are referring to the visa waiver in Chengdu)

I am wondering if that is really true, and if yes, how rigorously they follow that through. 2 years ago it wasn't like that.
I don't have a return flight, because I only booked one flight, from Korea (where I am currently staying) to China.

Actually my next stop is neither Korea nor my home country, but Hong Kong to get the Z visa. But obviously I don't want to book anything until the Z application is approved.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to just book a flight which you can cancel later, problem solved.
MsHoffman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I flew from the U.S. to China on a tourist visa (with the intention of changing it to a Z visa), the agent at the counter confirmed my return flight with a phone call before he would issue me a boarding pass for my outbound flight. At that point, canceling my return flight would not have gotten me my money back, so I lost $400. Sigh.

If you're not flying from the U.S., I don't know if there's a different policy. I would call the airline and check.

Best of luck!
tyroleanhat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didn't you instead book an "alibi" flight to Hong Kong, for $100? (Provided that your real return flight would have been booked for the time your Z contract expires)
I think what counts is just proof that you will leave China, be it back to your home country, or to a third country. Also, for F it could be different than for L.

The hotline staff from the airline was (as so often with all these rules) overchallenged and couldn't tell me.
In any case, I found a website that has a 12-24 hours cancellation policy after issuing the ticket. (Opodo)
Osiry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to sound like a broken record, but book a cheap flight to Hong Kong, it's the easiest way. You can always cancel or change it, or if the dates don't line up at all, take a short holiday to Hong Kong Very Happy
hz88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. Airlines do tend to get fussy about non nationals traveling to other countries on a one way ticket. The reason being is they get fined and are responsible for the return or onward transportation of the passenger if they are refused entry.

Airlines usually consult the official airline database which is called TimaticWeb2. The check in agent will usually do this. Here is the official wording assuming you are a USA citizen traveling to China. How the airline interprets it is of course their call..

Passport, Visa & Health Results
Type: Notice
Summary

Conditional, The traveler will need to hold travel documents as detailed below.

China - Destination Passport

Passport required.

Document validity rules:
Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid on arrival.

The following regulations apply to children/minors:
Passport not required for children traveling with a parent or guardian if being registered in the passport of the companion.

China - Destination Visa

Visa required.

The following are exempt from holding a visa:
Nationals of USA arriving at Haikou (HAK) or Sanya (SYX) and traveling on an organized tour to Hainan province in a tourist group of 5 or more people for a maximum stay of 15 days. Tours must be organized by a travel agent registered in Hainan province and approved by the National Tourism Administration of China.

Tourists traveling in a group organized by a Chinese international tour operator or registered travel agency for a maximum stay of 6 days if:
- arriving from Hong Kong or Macao to take a trip to the Zhujiang Delta in Guangdong province; and
- arriving at/departing from Dongguan (DGM), Guangzhou (CAN), Huizhou (HUZ), Shantou (SWA), Shenzhen (SZX) or Zhuhai (ZUH); and
- being a national of a country having diplomatic relations with China (People's Rep.).

Visa issuance:
Passengers with a normal passport can obtain a visa on arrival at Beijing (PEK) for a maximum stay of 3 months if they have confirmation that a visa has been approved before departure. The airline must fax all documents to the station manager prior to arrival and the passenger must
- have a confirmation from the Immigration authorities that the visa will be issued on arrival; and
- passport contains at least 1 blank visa page for the sticker-type visa; and
- have 2 passport photos and a letter of invitation issued by the Chinese authorities or by a sponsor (approved by Chinese authorities), who must meet passenger on arrival.
Note: A representative of the arriving carrier must be informed before arrival of the flight.
They can apply to extend their stay up to 6 months with an Immigration judge (if coming on business purposes)

Passengers with a normal passport can obtain a visa on arrival at Chengdu (CTU), Shanghai (Hongqiao (SHA) or Pudong (PVG) for a maximum stay of 1 month if they have confirmation that a visa has been approved before departure. The passenger must:
- have a letter of invitation issued by the Chinese authorities, confirmation from the Immigration authorities that the visa will be issued on arrival, 2 passport photos and a confirmed return/onward ticket; and
- passport contains at least one blank visa page; and
- a sponsor (approved by Chinese authorities) meets passenger on arrival.
Note: A representative of the arriving carrier must be informed before arrival of the flight.
Passengers who are part of tourist groups of travel agencies belonging to the Zhejiang Province can obtain a visa on arrival at Hangzhou (HGH) for a maximum stay of 1 month.

Additional information:
Travel on a one-way ticket is allowed. Visitors must hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay and documents required for their next destination.

Passengers traveling to Tibet must hold a special Tibet Entry Permit.

The following regulations apply to children/minors:
An individual visa is not required for children traveling on the passport of a parent or guardian, if their name is endorsed in the visa of the passport holder.

If you wish to avoid a drama then you could buy an online train ticket from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (around 170RMB) and use that as proof.

I have been asked sometimes for proof, others not. It really seems to depend on the vigilance of the check in agent or the attitude of their supervisors.
TrampledKlown

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"and the APP gives me a info"

Where'd you learn your Chinglish?
tyroleanhat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hz88 wrote:
If you wish to avoid a drama then you could buy an online train ticket from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (around 170RMB) and use that as proof.

Thanks for the clarification.
A train ticket is a good idea.
In my case, I will just go to the airport in time, and if they ask for a ticket I can immediately book a plane ticket on opodo.

TrampledKlown wrote:
"and the APP gives me a info"

Where'd you learn your Chinglish?

You, Sir, are a genius, discovering that English is not my first language. 👏
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: