Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PNET Where am I in the running?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclejoe80

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: PNET Where am I in the running? Reply with quote

So reading up on getting a PNET position I feel like I could certainly get into the pool but just curious where I might stand amongst all the others in the pool. Would I be top, bottom, or middle of the pile?

I have a CELTA and Primary PGCE UK with QTS. I will have 3 years in a British International School in Thailand by the time I apply and also 1 year TEFL teaching children in Thailand.

Also, if accepted into the pool do you need to be in Hong Kong then to get a position?

Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you.
Honky Nick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi unclejoe,

I think with the PGCE and 3 years' experience at an international school, you would be near the top of the pile. Remember that once you have applied and hopefully been accepted, they will look for a job for you, but it is also very important to conduct your own search and apply to schools directly. They may find you a school very quickly, but you give yourself a better chance if you are also keeping an eye out (www.classifiedpost.com is a good place to start).

Good luck,

Nick
unclejoe80

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Nick, solid information. Appreciated.
warriorer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's possible that you could get hired by a school from abroad when in the pool, I'm not sure how much it would actually happen. I'd say you'll really need to be out in HK for interviews with schools.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nick up to a point. You're obviously a strong candidate, that goes without saying. However before you can realistically be 'at the top of the pool' you would need to be in Hong Kong and available to interview in person. At the induction this year not one of the 30+ new Primary teachers were hired from abroad.

Would you not consider International Schools? Remember that as an International School teacher in HK the NET scheme will always be open to you (for as long as it is available). However for every year you are a PNET switching back to an international school becomes harder and harder.
joe30

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to sidetrack the thread a little, but when do the PNET school interviews normally start?

I've got an interview with the EDB in February, but that's just to get into the pool. How long after that do schools normally start the actual hiring and interviewing process?

I ask because I might be able to make it to HK for an in-person interview, depending on the time a school offers it. In short, if it's in April then it's a possibility, July is OK too, any other time would not be.
warriorer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the school. April's a possibility, though might be a bit early. I had my interview in June, though it felt quite late. Vacant positions would all most likely be filled by July (unless a school wants to offer the job to a teacher who won't accept it). May seems to be the main hiring time.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah as above really. I had a number of first interviews around May 11th this year (I remember as I had family visiting).

I was contacted by other schools all the way up until July. Like Warrior said these were likely schools who had been let down by another NET.
joe30

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the PNET dream will have to be put on hold then. In May and June I have PGCE commitments which seems like when most interviews take place.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of schools (certainly those who are well organised enough to hold interviews in April/early May) will be looking for multiple interviews - at my current job it was due to be three interviews but someone pulled out and I was last man standing after round 2. So you would really need to be based here for a few weeks in that case.

They also often look for HK based experience. Of the 30 new PNETS this year not one was hired abroad. A couple of SNETs were hired from abroad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: