Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Direct Hire Oil and Gas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbrudder84

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Direct Hire Oil and Gas Reply with quote

Greetings everyone! I was wondering if anyone has experience with direct hire through any Oil and Gas companies through the Gulf? When I was working in Saudi I was often sent to refineries to do intensive courses and I know that there were direct hire options, albeit difficult to obtain.

Obviously the salary for these direct hire positions is substantially higher and I prefer that environment to a chaotic English Institute.

Any advice would be really appreciated. I guess secondly, if anyone has a suggestion for a decent hiring organization in Oman I would appreciate that too. It is hard to discern that info from the enormous content on this forum. It also seems as though the entire industry is trending downwards.

Anywho, thanks again everyone!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are any such openings, you'd likely find them via an Internet search using: Oman oil gas English instructor job. It seems you'd need other skills specific to the industry.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall ever seeing an ad here for Oman, so I agree google is probably your best bet.

If the Omani oil/gas companies hire teachers, it certainly hasn't been a topic here as it is in Saudi. In my years in Oman, I never met anyone who was teaching for them, but it may have been just different social circles. Cool

VS
balqis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no contacts to share. However I remember talking twice to Omanis working as taxi drivers in the weeks where they were not working out in the desert for Omani Petroleum.
I seemed to myself interested in the ESL pure desert jobs so I remember asking them. They told me they had ESL classes, yet since all staff working in the desert must be male, their teachers were also male, a reply that froze my interest.

Conclusion: there must be ESL jobs out there in the desert. Yet how to fathom more, I have no clue.
Advice: ask, seek, knock...

baqis
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work for an oil company in Haima, OH MAN teaching English to their Bedouin Oil workers years ago...back then it was a wonderful job with lots of time off and great benefits! Unfortunately those days are gone.....as most oil companies that I know of don't need EFL teachers but technical trainers. Shocked
balqis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that GlobNet were recruiting in November this year technical lecturers for Oman Oil and Gas. They might guide you as to ESL jobs in the same field, i.e. if there are any, and if there are, then who manages them. You could get in touch with Edmond from GlobNet, and perhaps you will tell you more.

balqis
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember hearing about English teachers in a training compound run by Oxy but that was years ago. Might be worth sending them your CV.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend teaches ESL for an oil company in Oman but they are living year by year in fear of cutbacks and downsizing.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

A friend of mine is on rotation there 28 on 14 off. The money's shyte, he travels in his own time and pays for his own air tickets. $3,000/month? They are having a laugh.
Nice country though.
ntropy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
A friend teaches ESL for an oil company in Oman but they are living year by year in fear of cutbacks and downsizing.

You're always living that way when working in the "oil bidness."

Day rates are de rigeur. I have had many colleagues given one or two hours to leave a county at the end of their rotation.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I don't recall ever seeing an ad here for Oman, so I agree google is probably your best bet.

If the Omani oil/gas companies hire teachers, it certainly hasn't been a topic here as it is in Saudi. In my years in Oman, I never met anyone who was teaching for them, but it may have been just different social circles. Cool

VS

I did but they were classed as trainers. Don't know how they found the jobs though and at least two of them were laid off a couple of years back as oil prices went down.
balancedsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in the training dept of one of these companies for many years, but as a contractor. They never did direct-hire, partly for Omanisation reasons. (Contractors don't show up in their figures.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: