Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A couple of questions from a prospective teacher
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fluffytwo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To be honest I have not ever heard about such thing as a STEM, though it seems to be an interested one. Would an HNC/HND in the Mechanical Engineering be enough?

You'd be best starting to look at what PGCE providers require for admission. Generally they require a degree in the subject you're aiming to teach.

Quote:
You have mentioned a few times about Polish passport and stuff, though after few years I am eligible to apply for a British passport and citizenship as a person who has been working and studying, paying taxes etc, has not been problematic for the UK, has not broken any laws et cetera.

I hope things go well for you, but with Brexit etc even the best-laid plans could go pear shaped!
savi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply, the thing that makes me confused about becoming a science teacher is basically that I am more humanistic-talented I'd say. I am working in CAD and I do not really need to have that big knowledge related to maths and stuff (honestly, I am not really considering myself as an Einstein Very Happy) and I am not sure that teaching the science-related subjects is something I would be strong at. I am still young I guess because I will turn 21 in January, but I want to plan everything in advance as accurate as I can. I am strongly interested in Asia and my goal is to live over there for a longer period of time, as a non-millionaire, I will require the money for living, obviously! Very Happy

I have found an interesting thing which is PGCE/QTS training I might be aiming for upon my graduation, could you take a look and suggest if that's a good thing?
http://www.edustaff.co.uk/jobs/trainee-teacher-english-gain-pgce-with-qts-56204?utm_source=indeed&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=clicks&utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Indeed

I think with that qualification along with an experience I'd have a pretty solid framework to strengthen my CV.

Best regards,
Dawid
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

savi wrote:
To be honest I have not ever heard about such thing as a STEM, though it seems to be an interested one. Would an HNC/HND in the Mechanical Engineering be enough?

Also, about the English teaching jobs, probably China would be the most possible for me, with not so big salary, though.

You have mentioned a few times about Polish passport and stuff, though after few years I am eligible to apply for a British passport and citizenship as a person who has been working and studying, paying taxes etc, has not been problematic for the UK, has not broken any laws et cetera.

Best regards,
Dawid

HND/HNC won't be sufficient to get you a visa or the necessary permits to work (legally) in Asia (at anything).

A DEGREE is the minimum (to qualify for a proper visa) for all countries in East and SE Asia ...
and
For many countries a degree + a passport from one of, "UK, Ire, USA, Can, Aus, NZ and sometimes S.Africa" are the required minimums for a visa to work as an English teacher.

With a B.Ed you can usually bypass the requirement for the "correct passport" and can get into proper schools rather than language centers or working as an "ALT" (assistant language teacher).

As mentioned before in this thread the difference is about 1500-3000 GBP per month (300 vs 2000+) between the two.
NNES English teachers in China or SE Asia are earning 300-450 GBP per month with no benefits.
Licensed teachers are earning about 2000-3000 GBP per month PLUS benefits like airfare, housing, medical, etc.

As a NNEST (non native English speaking teacher) you should plan to get the education degree or plan to fail. Pick one. The days of just flying in without any qualifications and making a living as an English teacher as long since dead.

savi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
savi wrote:

Also, about the English teaching jobs, probably China would be the most possible for me, with not so big salary, though.

Best regards,
Dawid

HND/HNC won't be sufficient to get you a visa or the necessary permits to work (legally) in Asia (at anything).

A DEGREE is the minimum (to qualify for a proper visa) for all countries in East and SE Asia ...
and
For many countries a degree + a passport from one of, "UK, Ire, USA, Can, Aus, NZ and sometimes S.Africa" are the required minimums for a visa to work as an English teacher.

With a B.Ed you can usually bypass the requirement for the "correct passport" and can get into proper schools rather than language centers or working as an "ALT" (assistant language teacher).

As mentioned before in this thread the difference is about 1500-3000 GBP per month (300 vs 2000+) between the two.
NNES English teachers in China or SE Asia are earning 300-450 GBP per month with no benefits.
Licensed teachers are earning about 2000-3000 GBP per month PLUS benefits like airfare, housing, medical, etc.

As a NNEST (non native English speaking teacher) you should plan to get the education degree or plan to fail. Pick one. The days of just flying in without any qualifications and making a living as an English teacher as long since dead.

Hi mate, I can see that the Education degree is a compulsory and mandatory qualifications but how about getting a PGCE + QTS training upon finishing my degree (check out the link I have sent in my previous post), aren't those qualifications worth more than just the Education degre? I have applied for the English language and literature at The Open University, I have been hesitating between these three majors:
www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q89 - Early Childhood

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q23 - Childhood and Youth

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q94 - Education Studies (Primary)

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q39 - major I have chosen (English language and literature)

I think that there is still possibility to change major I have applied for.
Which one would be the best then in your opinion?

Best regards,
Dawid
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

savi wrote:
I can see that the Education degree is a compulsory and mandatory qualifications but how about getting a PGCE + QTS training upon finishing my degree (check out the link I have sent in my previous post), aren't those qualifications worth more than just the Education degre? I have applied for the English language and literature at The Open University, I have been hesitating between these three majors:
www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q89 - Early Childhood
http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q23 - Childhood and Youth
http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q94 - Education Studies (Primary)
http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q39 - major I have chosen (English language and literature)

I think that there is still possibility to change major I have applied for.
Which one would be the best then in your opinion?

Don't make this so complicated for yourself. As previously mentioned in this thread, an education-related degree (e.g., a BA in Education or a B.Ed.) is the best choice. Primary education as the smartest focus. And again, you should follow that up with a teaching qualification (PGCE + QTS) and hopefully, some experience in a UK school.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S
T
E
M

is a new acronym for
Science, Technology. Engineering and Maths

ie the hard subjects that repay study.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: