Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is a higher diploma in further education adequate?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pablohoney

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Is a higher diploma in further education adequate? Reply with quote

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice off some experienced teachers. I want to work in an international school in Bangkok and was wondering if doing a higher diploma in further education in Ireland would be adequate? I cant do primary teaching because of my leaving cert results back in the day, and my hons degree is in social studies which rules out secondary. I could do a h dip in further education however, but was worried that because its more adult/young adult based that it might be useless. It is a recognized teaching qualification by the Irish teachers council along with the others mentioned regarding initial teacher training. I'm approaching 40 and would like to make decent money. Or is there a lucrative market for qualified teachers of adults such as corporate work?
Thanks for reading as I've gone on a bit there.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Is a higher diploma in further education adequate? Reply with quote

pablohoney wrote:
Hi, I was hoping to get some advice off some experienced teachers. I want to work in an international school in Bangkok and was wondering if doing a higher diploma in further education in Ireland would be adequate? I cant do primary teaching because of my leaving cert results back in the day, and my hons degree is in social studies which rules out secondary. I could do a h dip in further education however, but was worried that because its more adult/young adult based that it might be useless. It is a recognized teaching qualification by the Irish teachers council along with the others mentioned regarding initial teacher training. I'm approaching 40 and would like to make decent money. Or is there a lucrative market for qualified teachers of adults such as corporate work?
Thanks for reading as I've gone on a bit there.

A Dip.Ed coupled with a previous bachelor degree IS adequate to obtain a teaching license in Thailand and is adequate for SOME lower end international schools.

It may NOT be adequate for circumstances like public school positions in Taiwan, the NET program in HK or some of the better international schools across the region schools due to the requirements of their accreditation bodies that require you to be certified in your home country.

Work as a teacher at an international school in Bangkok will also be dependent on your country of passport. Typically, if you are not a NES, they will not accept your application unless they are desperate to fill a hole and you would likely be replaced when they find a suitable NES candidate.

pablohoney

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I am Irish so i would be accredited in my country with a teaching qualification, but it would be in further education. Do you think this would suffice?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pablohoney wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I am Irish so i would be accredited in my country with a teaching qualification, but it would be in further education. Do you think this would suffice?

Same answer... yes for a Thai license, and maybe for work in international schools.

If you want to work at BIS or Harrow (or any of the other top tier international schools) you will need home country licensure specific to what you teach (primary or secondary) AND 2+ years of home country experience.

If you want to work at the Malaysia International School or some generic Thai owned and managed International School then just being able to be home country certified or even just having a post grad education related certificate and being a NES will usually be sufficient.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_schools_in_Thailand
http://www.isat.or.th/schools

It would largely depend on the quality of the school and how desperate they are to have a white faced teacher.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: