Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

blacklisting school, whats the risk here in China?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocket man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: blacklisting school, whats the risk here in China? Reply with quote

Wondering what the ramifications of blacklisting schools not only here but also on other websites like this thread on another

MOD EDIT

I would love to post what happened to me and warn people to avoid the school/company but right now they still hold my FEC etc (they have been decent in not canceling things while I find another job which I have for February).

In Korea, the libel laws are pretty severe and people really can't post much until they are out of the country for good.
twowheel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Who runs that website? It wasn't clear to me, even after scanning it.

twowheel
backtochina2017

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In Korea, the libel laws are pretty severe and people really can't post much until they are out of the country for good.

That's not true. It is possible if you are in a certain area, like Seoul, you might find it harder to get a job there. In Busan or Gyeonggido they won't care, especially the hagwons. In Gyeonggido alone there are 2 places to get your E2 visa, in the south Suwon and in the north Uijeongbu.

This is just scaremongering. I have ratted out 2 schools in Korea and 2 in China. A third school in China was ok, but then they lost a deal for new students and paid a lot for a new school location. So, they ended up not paying people starting with the Chinese teachers, then the drivers for the students and teachers, then front desk, and finally native English speakers. When I and one other teacher were the last two teachers at the school, I left and worked out a transfer. The other 4 were much worse with problems ranging from apartments to scheduling and school issues.

If you are warning teachers about a school, you should let them know of the school. This goes for recruiters too if you experienced something bad. However, don't make it opinion based. There are plenty of recruiters for example who offer one school promising it is not a kindergarten school. You go to the interview and possibly sign the contract for a job you think is 10 year student or older job, but when you walk into the school they have those pastel looking plastic stool chairs for kindergarten students. Sometimes, the school will actually have nap rooms. That's not a reason to blacklist the recruiter or school. There needs to be a significant complaint. Non-payment is the most reasonable one. Overworking and schedule issues would be another.

I have worked with teachers who get emotional and just want the school to be "punished" and they become vindictive. One way to stay objective and neutral is to go over the contract terms that you agreed to and note how the school breached those agreements. In Korea, non-payment was one for other teachers, and for me it was overtime work or scheduling compensation which included extra travel expenses (15-30 USD one way each day).

Another point to make is if you have a valid complaint others will too. You don't need to be the only one to bring that school's name to people's attention. The more people complain, the more likely it is a valid complaint. If it is just one person, then it could simply be friction between that teacher and the school.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more people complain, the more likely it is a valid complaint. If it is just one person, then it could simply be friction between that teacher and the school.

Someone needs to get the ball rolling.

Schools can (and often will) contact previous employers before and after they take on a new employee. They call before to screen the prospective employee and they may call a previous employer after he's hired if the school has screwed up and needs to invent a history of trouble-making. [/b]
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in nanning, Guangxi-and the place has the old 'wild west, new frontier' feel to it- when it comes to the ESL language school market.Like South Korea in 2000. Plenty of shady operators and small scale 'sham' schools are in business.....some of these places are so vile that they don't even hire full-time 'natives', they simply 'hire n fire' on a 4-6 weekly basis....taking on any poor sucker that comes along, promising them sponsorship and a salary that never materialises... with regards to reporting these places to the authorities, or blacklisting them on forums such as this, there seems little point-cos the 'business' may just close it's doors after a couple months-move to a new location, and operate under a different name. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: