Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How serious is English teaching in Vietnam?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IvanaShaanxi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: How serious is English teaching in Vietnam? Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I have lived and taught English in China for 4 years, and I can say that it was very easy over there to get a job for anyone who was (sadly) with white skin. That was basically the only requirement, English fluency mattered much less. Of course the criteria were a bit higher in 1st tier cities like Shenzhen, but there also, having a white skin was enough to get you a nicely paying job.

What is the situation in Ho Chi Minh? I hear that the supply is much lower than the demand there, just like in China? Do the same rules apply in both countries?

Thanks in advance.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hear that the supply is much lower than the demand there, just like in China?

My opinion is yes, there's plenty of demand for teachers in cities throughout Vietnam.

The country is "booming" and mercilessly economically crushing its basket-case neighbors in ASEAN.

Teaching work is slowing down now though with the Lunar New Year coming up (same holiday as China), so if you can, showing up for work in March or afterwards would be best. Of course, there's still work to be found now.

Quote:
Do the same rules apply in bu havoth countries?

No, the work in VN is mostly freelance, paid the hour with little in the way of benefits. So, you don't need to worry much about the rules.
IvanaShaanxi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, sigmoid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: