Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International Schools in Russia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirby42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: International Schools in Russia Reply with quote

Just wondering folks, does anybody know much about employment in International Schools in Russia? I'm not referring to English as a second language school as such, but more to schools for kids from rich/expat families.

What would the salary be like in these types of schools?
I assume competition is very competitive?
What qualifications are needed? I'm assuming a PGCE type degree is what would be sought after as opposed to a CELTA/DELTA?
perdidogringo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: International schools in Russia Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have a friend that works at one of the Anglo American Schools in Russia. There are 2 of them- AAS Moscow & AAS St. Petersburg. It is very competitive to land a job there and I am hoping to land a position in the future after I earn my teaching degree in a couple of years. You definitely need a teaching degree in you home (western) country and minimum 2 years teaching experience (ESL doesn't count) according to my friend. Also, you must have either a U.S. or U.K. passport.

She showed me the salary and benefits info. to pass on. Overall, the pay and benefits for these 2 schools are excellent and it is a sweet deal if you can get it. Teachers are paid on a salary schedule like teachers in the west based on years of experience, years at AAS, and degrees earned. You're paid 100% in USD (tax-free). In addition, a (nice) 2 or 3 furnished bedroom apt. is provided for each teacher.

Here are some examples: if you are a newly hired teacher with a Bachelor's and 5 years experience, you will start at USD $50,800. If you are a new teacher with a Master's and come in with 8 years experience you'll start at $56,600. If you are a teacher with a Master's who came into AAS with 8 years experience and now have worked at AAS for 5 years, you salary is $63,200 this year. You get a salary step increase of about $1500 a year, however, raises are also common which increases the salary.

List of the benefits:

 World-Wide Medical Insurance, Dental coverage, Optometry coverage
 Long Term Disability at 60% of salary
 Life Insurance - death benefit equal to annual salary
 Professional Development Allowance- $1,500 per year
 Up to $1,000 reimbursement for purchase of a primary working device as part of our “bring your own device” (BYOD) technology initiative
 Professional Development Grant program- after two years of full-time service, up to $10,000 available
 Retirement - 7, 8, 9 or 10% of the base salary (dependent upon teacher contribution)
 Stipends - additional amounts are paid for special educational and extended extracurricular activities and programs
 Initial travel – one way ticket to Moscow or St. Petersburg at beginning of contract for employee & authorized dependent(s)
 Travel Allowance – an annual travel allowance of $2,500 per authorized family member (max of 4)
 Transportation – shuttle transportation to and from the airport on arrival, departure and for long
school vacation periods.
 Subsidized scheduled shuttle bus service between the school and housing blocks
 Housing – including basic utilities and high-speed internet in furnished apartments maintained by the school
 Tuition - exempted from payment of tuition, capital and mandatory fees for authorized dependent's education at AAS
 Relocation Allowance – one- time payment of $1000 (equivalent in Rubles) upon arrival
 Shipping – Door-to-door shipping of personal and household effects from the Home of Record to Moscow or St. Petersburg at the beginning and end of contract completion
 Welcome Kits - “survival items” of household necessities provided at the beginning of contract
 Employee Wellness Program
 Variety of paid leaves, including sick, personal, compassionate, professional development
 Childcare Co-Operatives, for dependent children
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: