Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

weekend high paying class in HK possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cebuman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: weekend high paying class in HK possible? Reply with quote

I am due to start a PS position in Taiwan next month. I am wondering if there would be the possibility of getting a high paying business class at the weekend in HK. I would need to cover my flight from Taiwan returning the following day and I would want something like £500 for the class. Is this a possibility to get in HK? Someone on here said they earn over $100k a year freelancing in HK so I suppose a class like this might be obtainable. I doubt it would be in Taiwan.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by a business class? Do you mean corporate training work or private tutorials for adults with a business focus? 1-1 or group lessons? Also, 500 pounds for the class? Would that be your total earnings for the weekend? Once you factor in flights, classroom rental, materials, accommodation, meals etc etc I'm not sure how much you would be left with.

I've done this kind of work but it is mostly carried out during weekdays.

I won't say it's impossible but it would there would be a lot of obstacles to overcome, namely:

Building up a reputation and a client base
Finding a suitable location to teach from
Working out visa issues (do you have the right to work freely in HK?)

Doing all these things remotely would be very difficult.
Cebuman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I think your right. It will be too difficult to do remotely. I don't have the right to work in HK at all but I am not bothered as I would just say I am going on a shopping trip each weekend. Also doing it every week would be tiresome. It might be possible to sort out one-off teaching classes and try and pocket a grand GBP or so though. Like once every three months. Perhaps it's possible to get in Taiwan but looking at jobs in Taiwan, it seems to be a $20 an hour place. Also I am only too aware that students don't always keep coming to classes. They drop out for one reason or another. I have been in Korea 6 months and at one point, I had 3 privates going but 2 dropped out after a monoth. I have my eye on the NET positions in HK though.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, the private tutorial industry in Hong Kong is still going strong. An in-demand tutor can make HK 5000 (approx 500 pounds) or more in one day BUT it's not a situation that you can just walk into and expect on day 1. It takes a lot of time and effort to develop your reputation and client base and it take a lot of organization to do it all correctly.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fantasy tbh. The idea that a group of people will pay you 500 quid for a class once every few weeks.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 quid for a single class no. But 500 quid for a days work (if it's regularly scheduled), yes that's possible but with conditions (as I briefly mentioned earlier).
Cebuman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 quid for a day not a class. I couldn't manage it in Korea though. Everyone goes to hakwons here. Someone on here reckoned he makes well over $100k a year as a freelance teacher in HK. Who is it? How does he make so much money in HK? Why is HK so special for making that kind of money?
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cebuman wrote:
Who is it?

A quick search on here who reveal that guy to be.......me.

EDIT... Sorry it was late at night when I posted the above and I didn't bother to fully answer your questions. Why HK? Simply put, there is a very strong demand for English here. This combined with a lot of wealthy clients in a small area means there are going to be opportunities. Tapping into that market, deciding on your overall game plan, deciding how to market yourself, what your distinctive advantages are, how you can develop your reputation, what areas to target etc etc are all things that you need to think seriously about and the answers will differ from person to person.

As I said above, it's not easy. But it is possible for a motivated and organised teacher to do well here.
Cebuman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make more than a head teacher at an international or UK school then. Great! But I think that most EFL jobs in HK pay about 20,000 HKD a month.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cebuman wrote:
But I think that most EFL jobs in HK pay about 20,000 HKD a month.

Most language centre work averages between HKD 18-25K
Kindergarten work can go up to HKD 30K.
Local school work for a NET, I would guess between HKD 20-30K on average (depending on position)
EDB NET scheme (with allowance) starts at around HKD 45K and goes up to 75K
Intl school positions start around 30K and go up to around 80K
Tutors can earn anything from 0 to over 100K depending on many factors.

All the above are rough estimates. Incomes can vary widely depending on a teachers exact role, experience, how much they have been able to negotiate etc etc. This also excludes bonuses for performance, contract re-signing etc etc.
CEB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with those estimates
Kowloon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: weekend high paying class in HK possible? Reply with quote

Cebuman wrote:
the possibility of getting a high paying business class at the weekend in HK. I would need to cover my flight from Taiwan returning the following day and I would want something like £500 for the class. Is this a possibility to get in HK? Someone on here said they earn over $100k a year freelancing in HK so I suppose a class like this might be obtainable. I doubt it would be in Taiwan.

5000 HKD a day is fair enough (if still very optimistic). However you did write class singular three times in the OP. Pretty sure that's too many to have been a typo.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CEB wrote:
I would agree with those estimates

As would I. I'll throw in that the EDB starting salary at the moment is 50k (could go down a bit next year as the current salary reflects a rental spike in 2014).

Let's throw University work in while we're at it. Varies wildly but would we all agree 25-65 as a very rough estimate? Say entry level VTC at one end of the scale and HKU Lecturer at the other (doesn't include proper professors on PhDs, that's a different level).
Jmbf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the full details but this is what I was able to guesstimate (this from my own post in March of last year responding to a request for Senior Lecturer salaries at CUHK).

Assistant Professors at CUHK make between HKD 45-58K / month (*some may be eligible for housing allowance on top of that)

Lecturers at HK universities in general earn between HKD 28-48K / month

As Senior Lecturer positions fall between Assistant Professors and Lecturers, I think it would be safe to assume that a Senior Lecturer would be earning somewhere between HKD 40 - 50K / month plus perhaps some accommodation allowance.

Again, this is largely guesswork. If someone actually has some hard data to contribute that could firm up the figures somewhat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: