Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getting a Z visa after arriving on a tourist visa
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cebuman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: getting a Z visa after arriving on a tourist visa Reply with quote

I have spoken to some recruiters who said that it is possible to get a Z visa processed once you get to China depending on which part of chin it is though. You would go in on a tourist visa and then they would process it for you there. I heard that the first visa for China needs to be done in myhome country but that's not what some recruiters have told me.
backtochina2017

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever do get a Z visa by first going to China on a tourist visa, then you will have to do a visa run to somewhere like Hong Kong.

What is the incentive for the school to pay for this? If you pay for the flight to China, none. They could just work you until you decide to leave. Then, they do the same with someone else, never really getting a Z visa for you.

It's not the prescribed way of doing things on either end. The recruiters will tell you differently because they don't have a dog in the fight. School pays them, you pay your way there. No contract has been signed which can be enforced. No visa documentation has been processed which can allow you to stay in China, but rather evidence to ban you from China for 3 or more years.

It also shows a gap in your employment if you keep doing this. When they look at your resume and passport, the repetition of tourist visas becomes suspect. So, you just get one of those 10 year visas? Ok, what happens 5 years later when you want to play by the rules? You have all this experience now, but how do you prove it?

The only reason they want you go to on a tourist visa is so they can have you work immediately. How do you collect your first month's salary without a Z visa, residence permit and FEC?

You can't go to your embassy or the PSB claiming they didn't pay you your illegal wages.

The only benefit for anyone to go on a tourist visa first is 1) They have money to last 3 months (figure 6,000 USD at least to cover travel costs, food, rent/hotel costs, entertainment, etc...), 2) They want to visit different parts of China first (which is a very valid reason actually, China is a huge country and significantly different from province to province) and 3) They have friends or family or are also considering being a student instead.

There are too many cons to outweigh the positives. You have 80% chance of being disappointed in a bad situation and 20% chance things will work out.

If you get your Z visa first, you have a big bargaining chip as well as security. If things go bad with your first school, you can transfer to another school more easily. They will more likely hire you at the new school than someone else abroad who doesn't have a Z visa yet.

There are new rules I understand where non-native English teachers are not allowed to get a Z visa. So, this is either making the cases of illegal teachers on the rise and Chinese are cracking down (you are more likely to get caught on a tourist visa) or the demand is so high that taking the initial time to get the Z visa will help lock in a job for the year. The school will not want to get rid of you. You will have an easier year.

That is probably in short what you can take from this. The easier it is to get work, the easier it will be to fall like a deck of cards. Without a Plan B (what happens if it doesn't work out?) and the money to fund it, what are you going to do? Why not do Plan B until you get your Z visa? If that means work at McDonald's for a few months, I would rather do that than gamble with an employer who knowingly wants you to work illegally for them. That's like entering into a relationship with someone who already has a spouse.

You've been warned.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: getting a Z visa after arriving on a tourist visa Reply with quote

Cebuman wrote:
I have spoken to some recruiters who said that it is possible to get a Z visa processed once you get to China depending on which part of chin it is though. You would go in on a tourist visa and then they would process it for you there. I heard that the first visa for China needs to be done in myhome country but that's not what some recruiters have told me.

Rolling Eyes
Cebuman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backtochina2017 wrote:
If you ever do get a Z visa by first going to China on a tourist visa, then you will have to do a visa run to somewhere like Hong Kong.

What is the incentive for the school to pay for this? If you pay for the flight to China, none. They could just work you until you decide to leave. Then, they do the same with someone else, never really getting a Z visa for you.

It's not the prescribed way of doing things on either end. The recruiters will tell you differently because they don't have a dog in the fight. School pays them, you pay your way there. No contract has been signed which can be enforced. No visa documentation has been processed which can allow you to stay in China, but rather evidence to ban you from China for 3 or more years.

It also shows a gap in your employment if you keep doing this. When they look at your resume and passport, the repetition of tourist visas becomes suspect. So, you just get one of those 10 year visas? Ok, what happens 5 years later when you want to play by the rules? You have all this experience now, but how do you prove it?

The only reason they want you go to on a tourist visa is so they can have you work immediately. How do you collect your first month's salary without a Z visa, residence permit and FEC?

You can't go to your embassy or the PSB claiming they didn't pay you your illegal wages.

The only benefit for anyone to go on a tourist visa first is 1) They have money to last 3 months (figure 6,000 USD at least to cover travel costs, food, rent/hotel costs, entertainment, etc...), 2) They want to visit different parts of China first (which is a very valid reason actually, China is a huge country and significantly different from province to province) and 3) They have friends or family or are also considering being a student instead.

There are too many cons to outweigh the positives. You have 80% chance of being disappointed in a bad situation and 20% chance things will work out.

If you get your Z visa first, you have a big bargaining chip as well as security. If things go bad with your first school, you can transfer to another school more easily. They will more likely hire you at the new school than someone else abroad who doesn't have a Z visa yet.

There are new rules I understand where non-native English teachers are not allowed to get a Z visa. So, this is either making the cases of illegal teachers on the rise and Chinese are cracking down (you are more likely to get caught on a tourist visa) or the demand is so high that taking the initial time to get the Z visa will help lock in a job for the year. The school will not want to get rid of you. You will have an easier year.

That is probably in short what you can take from this. The easier it is to get work, the easier it will be to fall like a deck of cards. Without a Plan B (what happens if it doesn't work out?) and the money to fund it, what are you going to do? Why not do Plan B until you get your Z visa? If that means work at McDonald's for a few months, I would rather do that than gamble with an employer who knowingly wants you to work illegally for them. That's like entering into a relationship with someone who already has a spouse.

You've been warned.
Sorry I didn't explain properly why I need a Z visa processed by going in on a tourist (M or L? ) visa first. I am actually in Korea and my job is coming to an end so I have secured some interviews at international schools who require a teacher asap. They don't have time to get someone from the UK I don't think so they have asked me if I would like to interview with them. I am just one and a half hours from Beijing by plane so very close. If I went home for a Z visa I would have to fly 10 hours back home and then 10 hours back to China so 20 hours plus waiting for a Z visa will be at least 2 weeks I should imagine. So I was just wondering if it IS indeed possible for some provinces in china to process a Z visa for a first timer? I have secured a post in Taiwan actually but this job has come up and is 21000 RMB per month plus free flights and accommodation. Taiwan salary is less but it is also nearer to Cebu where I have a GF. I hope this puts the reason why I would like to get a Z visa in perspective now.
Cebuman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry why do you think someone without a Z visa needs $6000 for expenses? I would presumably have free accommodation from day 1 so I would not need to pay for a hotel. Surely the Z visa would be processed within a month of arriving there?
jimpellow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recruiters are correct depending on the specifics. This has popped up a few times now and information and links exist on the board. You really need to look at what provinces are running the on-arrival pilot program. Since it is Beijing you should be fine.

As for the initial non-work visa, this is an interesting question. Most Chinese embassies no longer will process visas in third countries. Exceptions are reported to exist. Hong Kong is probably your best bet but not assured.

It seems unclear if you even need a visa at all to arrive. There is nothing officially made public (as China does not share its laws and regulations publicly) that you need to have an initial non-work visa on arrival which is then converted. I believe they just issue you the z-visa on arrival to enter China.

Since the pilot provinces are the same ones that offer the new transit visas(including Beijing), one would think you would be able to board a plane to the Chinese port-of-entry with that policy in hand along with proof of departure to a third country(go for the fake) and all would be well.

I have never heard of anyone having the balls or the knowledge to attempt this route so caution is advised.

My other caution is that the on-arrival pilot program still requires quite a lot of expense and time in terms of documentation BEFORE ARRIVAL that can only be completed by going home or paying a service. Their timeframe does not seem realistic at all in terms of having enough time to complete the required steps before arrival. Hence, they are either ignorant or misleading you. If they are asking you to enter past the point-of-entry with another visa that will be converted later, then the remarks made by others are right on. The only jurisdiction which officially allows this is Shanghai.

Wonder if we ran into each other in Cebu? Wink
backtochina2017

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, we need to clear up a few things mentioned.

Quote:
So I was just wondering if it IS indeed possible for some provinces in china to process a Z visa for a first timer?

No, there is no first timer exception that I know of. Especially with first timers, you have to prove you have had 2 years experience. Again, you enter China with a Z visa, you don't go there and get one.

Quote:
this job has come up and is 21000 RMB per month plus free flights and accommodation

Have they agreed to get your flight to China? If so, have they agreed to get your flight to Hong Kong? High salary promises don't guarantee anything. In fact, it is a red flag they just want a foreigner immediately because they know the New Year's is around the corner and they need to get someone quick. In Korea, you can extend your stay.

If you are deadset on going to this school in China, I would suggest doing this while they get the work permit and invitation letter ready. Then, instead of going to mainland China, go straight to Hong Kong to get your Z visa. If it doesn't work out, then you know it was all for not and didn't waste anything more. If it works out, you have the benefits of a Z visa I outlined in my previous post.

Quote:
Sorry why do you think someone without a Z visa needs $6000 for expenses? I would presumably have free accommodation from day 1 so I would not need to pay for a hotel. Surely the Z visa would be processed within a month of arriving there?

If they can process it within a month, then extend your current visa in Korea and wait for it. When it comes, as I suggested go to Hong Kong and then wherever you work in mainland China. I estimated $6,000. This would include what I stated (1-2,000 flight money in case something happened, more if you had to do a visa run to Hong Kong, $200+/week hotel leaving about $3,000 which may leave you with 1-2000 by the time you secure another job and have money to get you through the first month). The main factor is since you would be on a tourist visa, you are not bound to an area as much as you would if you were on a student visa or z visa. This means you can travel more, domestic flights or trains and this adds cost. This extra money budgeted allows for you to travel to a city quickly to decide.

Do you definitely need $6,000, no. I only needed less than $500, but I was lucky to have a school at the time who could send me on a visa run. Another bargaining chip you have is you could pay for an apartment when you get there. In that case, they would want 6 months upfront with a security deposit called "yajin" which is a 7th month. So, a relatively cheap apartment at 2,000 rmb/month would be about $2,000. Depending on where you go, it could be more.

Best to make a list and find out online the costs before coming to China to see what you need saved up.

Quote:
It seems unclear if you even need a visa at all to arrive.

Yes, the most common ones you would need are the L tourist visa which takes 4 days to process and the Z visa which also takes 4 days, but for this you need to get more documents like college diploma authentication, physical and work permit with invitation letter. This extends the time to get all this done.

Quote:
I believe they just issue you the z-visa on arrival to enter China.

No they don't. You have to get the Z visa at the Chinese embassy outside of mainland China. In this case Hong Kong or back in their home country.

Quote:
My other caution is that the on-arrival pilot program still requires quite a lot of expense and time in terms of documentation BEFORE ARRIVAL that can only be completed by going home or paying a service.

I would post links if any to such a pilot program. Even if it were possible in one part of China, say Beijing, people in Jiangsu for example may not be aware of this and have the teacher come straight to Jiangsu. In that case, whatever pilot program is suited for work in Beijing would not necessarily hold for Jiangsu. With only 30 days to get this sorted, I think it is better to wait 30 days in Korea (OP's situation) and then come to China if it seems to be working and get another 30 days. 60 is better that 30 by far.
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The options being presented here are either- a] fly home to country of origin for the Z visa, or b] try to have the processing done after arrival in China. There is an alternative. Several colleagues have had documents sent to the country they resided in prior to coming to China.....I'm talking Bangkok, Manilla, Seoul, and in my case jakarta. Documents submitted-passport with Z visa collected after 3 days from the Chinese visa processing centre. You don't need to fly halfway around the world....and don't need take the risk of a dodgy employer.
doogsville

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't get a Z visa in China, there would be no point anyway since a visa only exists to allow you to enter the country, and by definition you'd already be here. There are however trials going on of a system that allows you to enter China on a tourist visa, and then have a work permit and resident permit issued on arrival. This can be done in Guangdong province, but I have no information about Beijing. It would seem weird if you couldn't do it in Beijing though. I would guess it's all part of the new A B C system of visas they're bringing in this year.

Check this thread for further information. http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1261581&highlight=#1261581
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When traveling to some countries that require a visa from the U.S., there is a TWV (traveler without visa) provision that'll allow you on the plane, but you'll be accompanied by an armed guard as you sit in an area separate from the other travelers while you wait. I don't think China is one of those countries that allows TWVs to arrive and sort things out. Anyone who would attempt such a thing would be crazy. If you are already in your home country, why not just go with the flow and do things properly?

I'll never understand why so many people are willing to go galavanting into the unknown on the other side of the world when they won't even take a bus to the other side of their own country or town.
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear.....wish some people would read the actual thread b4 posting.... Confused He's in Korea. he doesn't want to go 'galavanting home'...that was the whole purpose of the original enquiry. Alternatives.....
Cebuman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO I can go to Seoul to the Chinese embassy there and process my Z visa can I? Anyway the interview was the recruiter not the school. I thought it was going to be the school. So it looks like I will be going to Taiwan now but it's closer to Cebu anyway.
asiannationmc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Z visa within the Chinese mainland without prior postgradua Reply with quote

From an email from That's Beijing
Quote:
On January 6, the Ministries of Foreign Affairs, Education and Human Resources and Social Security jointly announced that foreigners who have completed master's programs within the last year can now obtain a Z visa within the Chinese mainland without prior postgraduate work experience. The degree can either come from Chinese or "well-known" international institutions.

Previously, foreigners with postgraduate degrees were required to have at least two years' of work experience to apply for work and residence permits.

Quote:
To waive the work experience requirement, you must meet the following criteria:

• At least 18 years of age
• Good health
• Strong academic record, with minimum B grade average (80 percent or higher) and good behavior
• Clean criminal record
• Relevant degree and education background
• Proof of a confirmed job offer in China relevant to your degree, with a salary that is equal to or higher than the local average (as defined by the local Human Resources and Social Security department)
• Valid passport (or equivalent)

You will also need to provide the following during the application process:

• Employment history
• Offer letter from employer with salary
• Report from employer providing proof that job was advertised to local workers for 30 days or longer
• Health check
• Criminal record
• Degree and school transcripts
• Proof of good grades and behavior during education (note: this is not required for applicants with degrees from overseas programs)
• Photo taken within the past six months
• Employment license or foreign expert work permit, which can be obtained from any local branch of the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security

Once issued, the employment permit will initially only be valid for one year, but can be extended by up to another five years.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BackToChina "Yes, the most common ones you would need are the L tourist visa which takes 4 days to process and the Z visa which also takes 4 days, but for this you need to get more documents like college diploma authentication, physical and work permit with invitation letter. This extends the time to get all this done."
-Again, you do not need a visa to arrive in China if it is at a port-of-entry which is in a jurisdiction which offers a transit visa. This "enhanced" transit visa popped up after 2013-2014 when tourism was negatively affected and local movers and shakers looked for a way to lessen Beijing's stricter regulations about issuing visas. It is a backdoor to China for tourism which Beijing has tolerated. People can arrive and are granted a 72 to 144 hour transit visa depending on the locale. They must stay within and leave from the jurisdiction that issued it. They must leave to a third country and show a ticket as proof. I would bring a printout of the jurisdiction's transit visa policy along to show any non-believing airline or immigration personnel.

Hence, if a teacher were to arrive at a port-of-entry for Jiangsu for a position in Nanjing, they do not need a visa to get to Jiangsu as it offers a 144 hour on-arrival transit visa.

"No they don't. You have to get the Z visa at the Chinese embassy outside of mainland China. ."
Again, this depends on the province as of mid last year. It is further complicated by the new online application with the A,B,C ranking system. However, the gist is that you arrive at a port-of-entry with certain documentation in hand and you are issued "something" that allows you to enter the county for purposes of applying for a work-visa. Whether it is a z-visa which allows a one-time entry for such a purpose or a picture of Mao naked, the point is that it gets you in legally.

The point of this was that the poster was looking for the most cost and time effective way of entering China legally to work. As he was considering Beijing, it is possible to arrive at the airport for a transit visa. I personally would have paid a certain service 10 bucks to buy me the proof of departure ticket to the third country which is later cancelled.

So if one can make it to the port-of-entry there is nothing about having to have a visa "converted" at the airport to enter for the purposes of work under the new pilot program. This oft used term is misleading as one visa is cancelled and another one issued. People assume this based on the past and their own insecurities about attempting something so seemingly bold.

"In this case Hong Kong or back in their home country"
-Whether the HK powers-to-be will issue a z-visa has been dependent on the policy of the jurisdiction where the work permit will be issued. It is not a panacea. Actually, this had not been the case for Beijing for quite some time as they previously required the applicant to return to his home country.

"I would post links if any to such a pilot program."
I have posted links on the transit visa along with these two new pilot programs before on this board. As I see it, it is the responsibility of anyone who wishes to respond to do their own research before offering advice that can highly affect the outcome for another human being.
backtochina2017

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On January 6, the Ministries of Foreign Affairs, Education and Human Resources and Social Security jointly announced that foreigners who have completed master's programs within the last year can now obtain a Z visa within the Chinese mainland without prior postgraduate work experience. The degree can either come from Chinese or "well-known" international institutions.

Previously, foreigners with postgraduate degrees were required to have at least two years' of work experience to apply for work and residence permits.

"completed master's programs"
"postgraduate degrees were required to have at least two years' of work experience"

That's true, but your average college graduate off the boat is a Bachelor's degree graduate, not a Master's degree graduate.

I think when people give advice or update on new rules that they should delineate this more. Newcomers should see the clear distinction.

Quote:
It is a backdoor to China for tourism which Beijing has tolerated.

I was speaking in terms of working. Please reread my posts.

Quote:
Hence, if a teacher were to arrive at a port-of-entry for Jiangsu for a position in Nanjing, they do not need a visa to get to Jiangsu as it offers a 144 hour on-arrival transit visa.

That has nothing to do with what I was addressing. You are just confuscating the discussion about working in China.

Quote:
The point of this was that the poster was looking for the most cost and time effective way of entering China legally to work.

Then you don't bring up ways to pretend to be a tourist.

If a province allows for no Z visa to enter to work legally, then people giving advice should state the province and not just say "some provinces". The people wanting to come without a Z visa should post the exact province so someone who knows can verify.

Spending months and years on forums saying "Each province can decide" doesn't do anything for anyone. They still have to find out from the recruiter, school or someone online who knows if the province desired allows for it. I think it's ok here to be specific.

It would save a lot of money. If you want to gamble, then you don't need to ask for help, gamble away your money. Fly to China with whatever you want and see if they accept you.

However, for people like me who want to know exactly without gambling airfare money and costs to return home either get the Z visa or find out from the province.

Quote:
So if one can make it to the port-of-entry there is nothing about having to have a visa "converted" at the airport to enter for the purposes of work under the new pilot program.

I still have yet to see someone post details of this pilot program regarding Bachelor degree graduates. An earlier post address a Master's, but certainly someone like the original poster isn't going to think, "Well, instead of getting the Z visa, why don't I get a Master's degree and in 2 years I will try entering China without a Z visa?"

Quote:
based on the past and their own insecurities

It's reasonable thinking. If your new school, recruiter or someone online isn't giving you details exactly how it can be done then don't assume you can. If it is called a pilot program, maybe it's best to wait to see how it works rather than jumping in being a guinea pig.

If you want to gamble, gamble. If you want to know, know. There are no in betweens or shortcuts. Pick your method, and if you are posting on here you are not gambling. You are asking for specific information.

We should be giving concrete specific advice and not just general references "Some provinces accept this".

Quote:
I have posted links on the transit visa along with these two new pilot programs before on this board. As I see it, it is the responsibility of anyone who wishes to respond to do their own research before offering advice that can highly affect the outcome for another human being.

I feel it is the responsibility for the people who know to share the information instead of holding it back. Doing research brings about 90% rules that were made years ago and might be invalid today (like hopping over to Korea to get your Z visa, was good at one time, not now). However, people who are currently employed, schools and recruiters are more likely to know based on provinces the new rules. Researched data on the internet is like citing an article in the tabloids for your PhD dissertation.

Quote:
do their own research before offering advice that can highly affect the outcome for another human being

A lot of people do research before posting here. If they don't find the information you expect them to find, then don't crucify them. Help them. That is why we are here.

If you don't want to help, then I wonder why you are posting other than to say, "I know the answers but I am not going to share them with you. Find out for yourself."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: